• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Audio Chips, worth it?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Not sure why anyone is even discussing the helmet zippers to hold ear discs in. Mine stay open and I haven't touched my helmet zippers in 7+ years on my older Smith helmets and on my newer ones, I opened the zippers and haven't touched them since. The strap and ear flaps hold the chips in even in the most extreme conditions including drop offs. I've never ever had a Chip fall out.

Pop em out, takes 1 sec......and they are out of the helmet and ready to charge.
I don't have any zippers on my ear pieces with my Smith. One ear piece was glued shut and I needed to do a little surgery. Zippers?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't have any zippers on my ear pieces with my Smith. One ear piece was glued shut and I needed to do a little surgery. Zippers?
Smith Vantage and other brand helmets that are "Audio Ready". They have a zipper under the earpiece into which you can slide speakers.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
wireless I assume? I think my quality control problems with these chips are the wire itself and I'm tempted to make the switch.
I have Outdoor Tech that are BT, but wired between the chips themselves. Zero issues with mine.
I plug mine into the usb in the car and charge on the way to & from the mountain. They last all day but if I forget, they sometimes go dead part way through the second day.
Wow, you charge them each time? I charged mine at the end of the season last year and so far they still say "battery high" when I turn them on...18 days and counting. I have even forgotten to turn them off before and they have stayed on overnight - I am astounded at how great the battery life is.

Yes Bluetooth. The Chips are wired between L & R but no wire to phone. The L to R wire easily fits into in the zipper of my Smith Vantage helmets. I had to play w/ the foam in the helmet earpieces to assure that the speakers were against my ears and the foam stayed towards the outside of the helmet. I also removed the inner most circle of foam that as it presses the chips overly tight against my ears.

Smith Vantage and other brand helmets that are "Audio Ready". They have a zipper under the earpiece into which you can slide speakers.
I have the Giro Stellar MIPS helmet and the Audio Ready = velcro closure. I did however remove the foam in the ear piece section of my helmet and that helped immensely with the ear pressure I originally had.

The only part I struggle with is hailing Siri to read me a text - both buttons have to be pressed simultaneously to get the tone, and I find it challenging to press the left button appropriately with my mittens on.

Sponsor

Staff online