• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Battle of ruggedized AWD wagons

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a 1986 5000 Turbo quattro...had the set up you mentioned. Still managed to slide off the road the first year when I tried to get away without snow tires LOL

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
. It also would have been more fair if they all had the same driver.

And the same tires. That test just showed the obvious that those cars with those tires were no match for an inclined sand pit.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
20210404_151107.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it doesn't have a frame chassis, it's not rugged.

To be fair, the claim was "rugged-ized". :)

My Xterra had Pirelli shocks

Didn't know they made shocks? Maybe Konis or Bilsteins?

We put Konis on our Sprinter. So much better.

Honestly, these type of vehicles work great for me. I love a good-driving car. My XC60 gives me most of what I'm looking for in that regard AND 8 or 9 inches of true ground clearance, which is great for the bits of potholed back road exploring my wife and I do.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it doesn't have a frame chassis, it's not rugged.
Are they useful summer and winter in the high country? YES. But as @Wendy said above, it is not 4WD (with lockers or LSDs) and it's not rugged.
Jeep Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's have traditionally been a unibody construction. No one doubts their capabiliites.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Going to the new independent rear suspension from the solid axle created more interior room but those arms had to so somewhere.
Yeah..suspension is a compromise usually...more minivan, less rock climber.. And again, that's probably great for 99% of the people who drive those vehicles.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Jeep Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's have traditionally been a unibody construction. No one doubts their capabiliites.
One of the companies I worked for decided to change their construction supervisor fleet vehicles from Grand Cherokees to Ford Explorers..the full-frame version. The Jeep's were decidedly more durable in off-pavement duty....

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
One of the companies I worked for decided to change their construction supervisor fleet vehicles from Grand Cherokees to Ford Explorers..the full-frame version. The Jeep's were decidedly more durable in off-pavement duty....
My father had a '98 GC Ltd. that was probably one of the best of those ever made and was the perfect family ski vehicle. It was incredibly reliable and made it to ~300k on the original drivetrain. Typically the transmissions were only good for 50-60k which is when his started acting a little funky but he just dealt with it until he eventually junked it when everything else started falling apart.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't need it to go off road. I need it to keep me on the road when it's winter in the Alaskan Interior. I'm interested in the wilderness edition Subaru's simply because they seem purpose built for driving 6 months of the year where I live.

I did a 1" lift on my Baja and stuck the biggest tires I could fit with out having to actually modify anything simply to gain more ground clearance to help with driving to and from my house in the winter. Totally worth it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I had a 1986 5000 Turbo quattro...had the set up you mentioned. Still managed to slide off the road the first year when I tried to get away without snow tires LOL
Winter tires are a must on any car if you drive in winter conditions. I coveted that car, but being a starving student at the time, made do with a '65 Ford Custom (sedan) with (I think) a seized crown gear in the differential. The back end would break loose at the slightest provocation (even on an ordinary gravel road without snow or ice). I didn't mind at all; it made the passengers nervous though.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been running 4 snows since about 1976, right after I started skiing. The Quattro was my first AWD car. Figured I would see if it was true what people say about not needed snows with AWD. Yeah, getting going is fine, its when you go to steer or stop that's the problem...LOL

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had 30 or so what would be consider "good winter vehicles" and our Alltrack is the one that I would say is the best performaning and confidence inspiring one.

I also agree with this...
I don't need it to go off road. I need it to keep me on the road

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be fair, the claim was "rugged-ized". :)

Didn't know they made shocks? Maybe Konis or Bilsteins?

We put Konis on our Sprinter. So much better.

Honestly, these type of vehicles work great for me. I love a good-driving car. My XC60 gives me most of what I'm looking for in that regard AND 8 or 9 inches of true ground clearance, which is great for the bits of potholed back road exploring my wife and I do.
Probably Bilsteins. All I know is that everybody who examines that vehicle drools over the shocks. We donated it to Rodale Institute’s organic research farm and it’s in heavy use by the research scientists out the fields every day. Fun to see it in action with muddy tires most of the time. I was out for a dog walk yesterday and spotted it:
653EA72E-4E77-4E64-A3FE-471B89D254E8.jpeg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't need it to go off road. I need it to keep me on the road when it's winter in the Alaskan Interior. I'm interested in the wilderness edition Subaru's simply because they seem purpose built for driving 6 months of the year where I live.

I did a 1" lift on my Baja and stuck the biggest tires I could fit with out having to actually modify anything simply to gain more ground clearance to help with driving to and from my house in the winter. Totally worth it.
You have a Baja? Share a pic!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I know a buddy from the old neighborhood who's in love with his RS3. He races it on frozen lakes. 400+ horsepower.. After a few mods low 11 second quarters.. Uses a 4 Runner for off road fun though.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My '06 AWD Volvo XC70 was great on pavement in winter but it wasn't up to handling my 250' winter driveway in all conditions. Normal torque bias was 90% front axle, 10% rear and the computer decided when and how much rear torque. Turning off traction control helped a bit as did putting on chains. 6' of mud, the consistency of porridge, required a tow from my neighbour's Cat dozer.

I traded that Volvo in on a new 2019 Tacoma TRD OFF Road 4x4 with a proper hi/lo range and locking rear diff and manual transmission. Now even with OEM tires, there is nothing the driveway can throw at it that the Taco can't handle.ogsmile

Sponsor