• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Zeals are on sale now.

Zeal Optics - Potral XL frame -Sky Blue Mirror lens- 65%VLT. Hands down the lens that is on my face December thru February here at Killington. The cool transition lens that varies from 38%-18% VLT is good real early season and from March on. Retail price of $299 is on the higher side but well worth the price of sight.

View attachment 151574
Nice.
I was just looking through Zeal, ordered a Hangfire. They are out of the Sky Blue Mirror for that model.
Not sure you know, but for your Portal XL you can get the snowmobile lens, the Highmark. It adds a rubber nose covering to block wind. I could see it for really cold days, or super bright sun.
7EBCC767-ADBB-47BB-9F72-950E19549D22.jpeg

67576C95-3453-4DD7-967C-0D9F7C2BF911.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
in the Midwest I have never had it so bad, that I just tipped over. Fog issues are fog issues and the hills in the Midwest if you have fog at the top you have fog at the bottom, and i don't expect any current goggle to help with that.

So I guess maybe i should rephrase my question to the following. "Will i notice a difference between a high end goggle lens with a high VLT for grey weather skiing? Or am I just going to have to suck it up :)
Spatial disorientation. Trees give a sense of verticality I guess, for some orientation to the horizon.
At least you’re not flying a plane.

I’ve fallen over in Europe coming to a stop, and maybe just standing there. I’ve been surprised by suddenly going uphill when I was going down in a whiteout at Abasin.

One thing altitude and above treeline can have is glowing fog. Where the cloud or fog is not that thick vertically, so it’s lit up. Light lenses are no help. Europe may get more of that, don’t know. But clouds often come up the valleys.

B9992F46-D926-47D2-890D-FCA3557A7ACD.jpeg

Feb 2023. 4Vallées, Switzerland.

DD3DE360-0940-4314-86CB-6D87E9525D35.jpeg

A couple hours later and lower down. Haven’t seen the bottom of the cloud line so distinct. I don’t remember glowing fog that time, just fog. Layer probably too thick.

As to your question, I think everyone searches for the grail with a fog lens. You can’t see what’s not there. A clear lens will let the most light in. Will that help more? Maybe in some situations, but if it’s all diffuse and whited out, no.

However, good lenses can still make a difference most of the time you’re skiing and can see.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure you know, but for your Portal XL you can get the snowmobile lens, the Highmark. It adds a rubber nose covering to block wind.

Genius, but I can't seem to find them on the Zeal site. Got a link, by chance?

James

Out There
Instructor
Genius, but I can't seem to find them on the Zeal site. Got a link, by chance?
Yeah maybe they’re not making that goggle now or it’s out of stock. The lenses show up in the shopping for lenses page. They’re in the pull down menu.
A83862CC-FADC-4070-923B-A54E3C5362D3.jpeg

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not sure flat light is that complicated. I think it is as simple as, light comes equally from 360 degrees.....causing ZERO shadows/contrast.

As soon as, you are near the trees, voila!, you can see. Did the blue light suddenly disappear, no! Just no longer 360 degrees of equal light. Have you noticed there is never flat light night skiing? The artificial lighting comes from one direction and causes shadows so you can see the contour of the snow.

Since none of the "NEW" technology really seems to work in flat light. I have PRIZM & Chromapop and all the Xevo lenses, none of this nonsense works in true flat conditions. Being above the Treeline or an open bowl in fl;at conditions is miserable no matter what lense you use.

For those curious about Photochromic.......Nn thanks! Since UV is the sauce that darkens them and there is plenty of UV on cloudy days, in fact some cloud there is increased UV rays, photochromics are too dark for me and stay dark and then don't lighten up fast enough (not even close) when skiing into shade, leaving you almost blind! I have tried multiple photochromic lenses and they just aren't for me!
I will have to say my new Revo Bode #6 goggles solved most of the photochromic issues.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ I ended up buying a pair of the Revo Bode #6, as well, and have to say I like them much better than the Smith 4D Mag and the Anon M4S.

I feel that the quality of the Smith lenses has gone down somewhat, and was not happy with their durability or performance. Additionally, the system to swap lenses is a bit clunky. Kind of a shame, because I have a lot of 4D Mag lenses.

The Anon M4S, however, has a superb lens exchange system and the lens quality seemed quite good. The fit, however, just wasn't right. Too much pressure on my nose (both the M4 and M4S).

The Revo #6... perfect thus far. Clarity and lens quality is what I expected from Revo (I purchased my first pair of Revos back around '89-'90 after being captivated by the Pete Conrad advertisement) and the fit, while large, is extremely comfortable. "Forget-they-are-there" comfortable.

We'll see how they hold up, but I'm very happy thus far.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
What photocromatic issue?
Read the post I was replaying to in post #265...:

For those curious about Photochromic....... Since UV is the sauce that darkens them and there is plenty of UV on cloudy days, in fact some cloud days there is increased UV rays, photochromics are too dark for me and stay too dark and then don't lighten up fast enough (not even close) when skiing into shade, leaving you almost blind! I have tried multiple photochromic lenses and they just aren't for me u itl I starting using the Revo photochromic.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier

For those curious about Photochromic....... Since UV is the sauce that darkens them and there is plenty of UV on cloudy days, in fact some cloud days there is increased UV rays, photochromics are too dark for me and stay too dark and then don't lighten up fast enough (not even close) when skiing into shade, leaving you almost blind! I have tried multiple photochromic lenses and they just aren't for me u itl I starting using the Revo photochromic.
Julbo photocromatic are great for my bad eyes!

James

Out There
Instructor
Tried the Revo #2 a couple days. The #2 is a bit small from what I’m used to. The Blue water isn’t dark enough for gull sun, nor really light enough for east coast.

Revo’s website and email response is terrible. About all you’ll learn is they were famous in the 80’s, Nasa is mentioned, and Bode goes 80mph. Honestly, these brands like this can go ft. Unfortunately, it’s becoming the norm.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

Experienced that this weekend on a bluebird day when on rather large cloud parked itself overhead. UV everywhere so the lens was fully darkened, but the cloud overhead made it way to dim to see.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tried the Revo #2 a couple days. The #2 is a bit small from what I’m used to. The Blue water isn’t dark enough for gull sun, nor really light enough for east coast.

Revo’s website and email response is terrible. About all you’ll learn is they were famous in the 80’s, Nasa is mentioned, and Bode goes 80mph. Honestly, these brands like this can go ft. Unfortunately, it’s becoming the norm.
That is a shame. Revo used to be top notch quality (20-30 years ago).

Keys2Ski

Short-n-Sweet
Skier
I also had cataract surgery a few years back. I had multifocal iol installed, so I can relate to flat light vision issues. I skied Taos this year with one cloudy eye and had yag surgery a month later ( couldn’t get in sooner) which cleared up my secondary cataract in that eye. But unfortunately, my night or low light conditions really didn’t improve after yag. So I’m pretty much stuck in the yellow or clear lens goggle arena. Anything else seems to be too dark and limits my vision. My multifocal iols are pupil dependent, so the more light the crisper my vision. I’m hoping that goggle lens manufacturers start to see more customers with aging eyes/ cataract/iol patients that still want to live life to it fullest and provide another genre of lenses. :).

TS
David

David

Skier
I also had cataract surgery a few years back. I had multifocal iol installed, so I can relate to flat light vision issues. I skied Taos this year with one cloudy eye and had yag surgery a month later ( couldn’t get in sooner) which cleared up my secondary cataract in that eye. But unfortunately, my night or low light conditions really didn’t improve after yag. So I’m pretty much stuck in the yellow or clear lens goggle arena. Anything else seems to be too dark and limits my vision. My multifocal iols are pupil dependent, so the more light the crisper my vision. I’m hoping that goggle lens manufacturers start to see more customers with aging eyes/ cataract/iol patients that still want to live life to it fullest and provide another genre of lenses. :).
Also after the surgery you can get a cloudy film over your eye. It can be fixed but my dr didn't think it was bad enough so he refused to do it. I told him it was a huge issue skiing in flat light so he said just ski on sunny days. This is MI and there are no sunny days until maybe March. He finally did it but only after I asked him for a recommendation to another eye dr.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is a shame. Revo used to be top notch quality (20-30 years ago).
I told him to buy the #6. they are larger with excellent peripheral vision and excellent optics. And as far as I am concerned, the new Bode lense, blue water, are stellar, plenty dark for full sun, I don't understand what James is talking about.

Keys2Ski

Short-n-Sweet
Skier
Also after the surgery you can get a cloudy film over your eye. It can be fixed but my dr didn't think it was bad enough so he refused to do it. I told him it was a huge issue skiing in flat light so he said just ski on sunny days. This is MI and there are no sunny days until maybe March. He finally did it but only after I asked him for a recommendation to another eye dr.
I grew up in Michigan and had seasonal depression before it became a thing. I can relate to they endless grey days up there. Moved to florida in my 20’s and only get a tropical depression mood from time to time. Haha.
Yes about the yag, I asked my dr to do both eyes, since my right eye is just starting to get a cloudy spot. He said no, he’d rather wait. So I’ll probably be back in @ 6 months! Yag seemed to change my distance vision slightly, dr says do more eye drops. …not seeing improvement yet :/. Oh well, better than the alternative for sure :)

Keys2Ski

Short-n-Sweet
Skier
David, what iol did you have installed? I have a blue light lenses also, so dr says do not wear green mirror lenses, as they will be too dark. I have restor 3.0 with toric installed in 2018.

TS
David

David

Skier
David, what iol did you have installed? I have a blue light lenses also, so dr says do not wear green mirror lenses, as they will be too dark. I have restor 3.0 with toric installed in 2018.
In my eyes? I didn't know you could get a tinted lens. Mine are clear with no color. I also have no need for glasses other than reading so no magnification.

Sponsor