• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Leadville Bike

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you break 10 hours?
I've never done Leadville. I wish I had to say I did. :ogbiggrin: Our crew deemed it too easy back in the day, so I did the Beaver Creek Ultra 100 four times. A defunct race nobody has heard of now. It's tough to get into Leadville now, but I might as well try for a lottery spot

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
The fact anyone considers using drop bars for Leadville says all you need to know about the course.

Here's a great video of the race from a helicopter(!!) where you can get a good idea of the course:

I didn't watch the whole thing, but every shot I saw they were either riding three or four abreast or they could have been. That isn't a mountain bike race. Plenty of 100 mile MTB races for those looking for that kind of pain.

But all of this discussion is a diversion. We should be talking about the greatest bike name in the history of bike names, the Chamois Hagar. That bike rocks.
chamois-hagar.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just popped up in my feed..
Thanks, great perspective in that article.

I think for most mortals, even as non-technical is the course is, the choice is still between a hardtail and a FS to reduce fatigue. The drop bar idea seems silly. If you want to be cool, ride a single-speed. :geek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Attachments

• 1692155295593.png
    1692155295593.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a little survey of bike choices, searching the race photos by race number:

1692294270105.png

It looks like the question is hardtail vs. full suspension, not drop bars or gravel bike. I'm surprised by the number of FS bikes ridden by the leaders.

Given I'll be spending A LOT more time in the saddle than those guys (if I can get in), I'll have to move up my plan to buy a new FS bike. ;)

Lots of Epics and Canyons, both HT and FS, in the pics.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I don't know if marathon-distance mountain bike races make for much of a spectator sport, even with a camera on the course.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too hot to ride, so I looked at the bikes of the top finishers in the 50-59 age group:

1692663152061.png

They all look to be high-end bikes, as expected for the top 5% of finishers. It's got to be tough for most to fork out for a high-end hardtail in addition to an expensive FS bike that's undoubtedly the proper tool for most other marathon races.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's got to be tough for most to fork out for a high-end hardtail in addition to an expensive FS bike that's undoubtedly the proper tool for most other marathon races.

In THAT age group? Not seeing it.

Also not seeing the point of a premium hardtail if one already has a Cervelo ZHT or Digit Datum or whatever.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw A LOT of S-Works in the pictures. If an age group athlete is on one of these or a similar high end FS at Leadville:

1692675854405.png

How likely is it they also have one of these or a similar high end HT back in their garage?

1692675927963.png

Those bikes are so similar and so expensive. I'll never be in the top 5%, so maybe I'll never understand. Gotta also spend money on a road bike, a gravel bike... N+1.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So maybe drop bars are the way to go. I have been following Dylan Johnson's training videos on YouTube for a couple of years, and he opted for drop bars during his Leadville ride, finishing 16th and recommending them as the best choice. Today, he posted a fantastic video detailing his race.

I like how he emphasizes the importance of pacing and setting a ceiling.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
So maybe drop bars are the way to go. I have been following Dylan Johnson's training videos on YouTube for a couple of years, and he opted for drop bars during his Leadville ride, finishing 16th and recommending them as the best choice. Today, he posted a fantastic video detailing his race.

I like how he emphasizes the importance of pacing and setting a ceiling.
A new record was set this year. Why didn’t that athlete, who has a long, winning history with the race (and the other top 10 men’s and women’s finishers), use drop bars? I have three neighbors that finished top ten. Not a drop bar in sight.

If his post was to gain views, they seemed to have succeeded.

Smells of click bait to me.

Sponsor

Staff online