• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Ski Socks?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Without going down the thickness rabbit hole, can I ask if anybody knows of a quality, medium to thick ski sock that is of uniform thickness throughout?

Hate the cutouts/padded areas/etc.

Heat Holders Long

Used the Gabriel under the cycle tights this morning.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heat Holders Long

First, what a find. You are god-like figure amongst mere mortals.

Looks like uniform thickness and pretty thick?

Big/Tall for my 29.5 feet?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading that so many prefer lightweight socks triggers my SkiTalk induced neurosis.

All my socks are mid-weight. Do I need to try lightweight? Why lightweight? My brain says skiing = cold = thick socks...

Also, the Smartwool PhD has been often mentioned. No sign of the PhD sock on the Smartwool website however... :( Discontinued?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Reading that so many prefer lightweight socks triggers my SkiTalk induced neurosis.

All my socks are mid-weight. Do I need to try lightweight? Why lightweight? My brain says skiing = cold = thick socks...

Also, the Smartwool PhD has been often mentioned. No sign of the PhD sock on the Smartwool website however... :( Discontinued?
It depends on the fit of your boots, how much your feet sweat, personal preference, etc.. Even slightly thicker than usual socks cause me pain in my current boots. I was concerned about warmth but the better wicking characteristics keep my feet dryer than in thicker socks so they actually feel warmer.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently got a pair of Farm to Feet Waitsfield 2.0 with light targeted cushion. I really like them. I'm also a fan of my well used Falke SK2 with medium thickness padding. Both have only spot padding on the shin, around the heal, and toes. As my liners pack out I'll probably move to thicker all over socks.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried a pair of Eurosocks Silver Supreme lightweight socks earlier this season and ended buying a few more pairs. I had alway skied socks with some padding but really like these ultra thin socks. Haven’t had them long enough to say how they will hold up.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The real point is, your boot liner is packing out, costing you control. You don't need socks that are packing out throughout the day as well.

Buying your boots while wearing the thinnest sock possible also gives you the option of wearing that thicker sock once your boots are packed out. Not ideal, but..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I need to try lightweight?

Nope. Use what works for you. With new boots, I start ultra-lightweight, then lightweight, then midweight, then thick. Each change seems to be called for at about 20 day increments with any stock liner, no matter how wonderful it seem initially.

Most disagree, but I've found this approach to work far better than screwing around with stick-on shims and pads and whatever -- a unicorn I probably chased for two decades.

Caveat: When I've skied Intuition liners, the interval is more like 80 days, and stops for good at the midweight sock point. I wish I could still get Intuition liners from the World Cup bootfitter that I had access to for 35 years. :(

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are my goto ski socks:

PhD® Ski Ultra Light Benchetler Print Socks​

1675471031123.png

Sponsor

Staff online