• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike shorts padding and style preferences

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd love the vintage De Marchis on left.
I am all for a great modern bib design. I'm just frustrated by the futility of trying to kick that outer MTB-style outer short football.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, those are the similar :huh: ones. I don't have any liners, no idea how those fit.
Technically I guess my dakine liners are actually padded shorts but unlike @Tony S I actually like wearing a pair of shorts over the liners. But then I also like a bike helmet with a pony tail port, which he probably doesn't care for.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
And I only use bib shorts these days. Their comfort over the long haul is so much better, and the padding stays where it should.
Can you elaborate a bit on this? I don't find my bib shorts (Castelli Free Aero Race, I think) to be more comfortable than my non-bib shorts (Assos and Pearl Izumi) and I certainly have not experienced any shifting of padding on any of them.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And I only use bib shorts these days. Their comfort over the long haul is so much better, and the padding stays where it should.
@Philpug has a few pair of bibs that he really likes.
I'm not sure I'd dig that.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can you elaborate a bit on this? I don't find my bib shorts (Castelli Free Aero Race, I think) to be more comfortable than my non-bib shorts (Assos and Pearl Izumi) and I certainly have not experienced any shifting of padding on any of them.

You've got a good fit.

For a lot of us padding shifts are not the direct problem but rather the end result of a cascade starting at the waistline or at the thighs.

Big thighs tend to either pull shorts down (if the inseam is long) or push the legs up if the inseam is short, Bibs with sufficiently long inseams don't have that problem.

Loose (skinny) waists tend to result in shorts sliding because the waist band doesn't have sufficient grip for friction. With bibs that is not a problem.

Tight (beer gut) waists tend to stretch-creep shorts as one breathes (much like a belt pulley pulls a belt towards the fat part of the pulley). This creates tension and seaming as one bends over, and drops the waistline down the body, starting at the back. With bibs that is not a problem because they can be loose enough to not catch, even when bent all the way over below saddle level, and because they have tension in back and front.

Individual note: almost half my bibs are the old school wrestling singlet (no zip full front) shape or triathlon (zippered full front) shape; very few riders actually like those.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have a few pairs of Pearl Izumi and Castelli shorts. They seem to work for me; Giordana doesn't. I find bib shorts are too expensive to experiment much with brands.

The Castelli shorts have thinner padding than the Pearl Izumi shorts do; for whatever reason, I prefer the Castelli for longer rides.

I happily used non-bib shorts for many years until one day I decided to try bib shorts. Now I use bib shorts exclusively. They feel more comfortable, although I'm not sure I could explain why. Fewer pressure points around my waist and my middle-aged gut? I dunno. :huh:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not necessarily looking for advice for my liners, but curious what others are preferring and if it changes depending on the type of riding and time of year.

I really like the Terry Fixie shorts I just started wearing(Link below) for hot weather because the padding isn't very dense and they seem more breathable.
So, yeah, I agree that thicker isn't always better.

Also, I was riding with a friend yesterday who just invested in a cushier saddle for her bike to go with her fairly well padded liners, while I was riding with the thinner liner on the stock Bontrager saddle (same saddle she replaced) and I was fine.
So, (again) yeah, different preferences.

To be fair, I have ridden a whole lot more than she has this year, so my sit bones have toughened up.

Ugh cushier saddle and liner=not a great idea. Hopefully not a sofa cushy saddle. More than likely, the saddle she was on was not a proper fit. The stock Bontrager saddles that come with the Trek bikes are men's saddles. I rode one for a few seasons and noted that my toes were always going numb. Was advised to have my sits bones measured. Did so, got a women's saddle and voila! Toes no longer numb. The saddle is quite firm. I ordered a new width-specific Bontrager saddle this year (carbon) and I think it's not quite the right shape because I have numb toes once in awhile. It's a tad not-quite-so-firm. I'm debating going back to my previous women's specific saddle. Saddle height and fore-aft placement also play a big role in feel and fit.

As far as chamois, for me, I can't tolerate them if they cut into my waist. A yoga waist band is a must. I do like the Zoic liners but haven't tried any others lately because I love their shorts and have multiple liners that came with their shorts. I have some of their older liners that are much less bulky and like them for shorter rides. I still want a full "spandex" kit because the baggy shorts are annoying in the heat. I wear shorter shorts almost exclusively during the summer heat as a result, but shorter women's MTB shorts are getting harder to find. Well, at least ones with the thigh pockets that I like.

I know several women who ride without a chamois. They claim that their saddles fit so well they don't need them. In fact, one of our forum members who goes between Utah and Tahoe also rides without one. (MTB.) I do like the sweat absorption so can't see myself going that route, but who knows.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
<rant>If we are talking pure comfort and not style, the best thing a contemporary MTB rider can do is go retro / roadie / xc and lose the useless outer short. All it does is make you hot and add opportunities for chafing. Please don't tell me about the alleged benefits of pockets. (Who wants something bouncing on your thigh with every pedal stroke?) </rant>

Totally agree. It's a bro thing. I've got a few pair that I use once or twice a year, then wonder WHY?!

Nothing like making your hottest, steamiest area hotter and steamier. :roflmao:

I noticed several companies are now making bib shorts with some well-placed pockets, and I've still got a few favorite shorts that my wife sewed them onto for racing purposes. Great for energy gel packs.

You of all people Tony must know the POWER of the cycling fashionista!!! :roflmao:

Fun fact: The Enduro World Series requires riders to compete in baggies, for the look (and probably to accommodate sponsors).

I remember reading an interview with EWS legend Tracy Mosely when she came over and rode the Downieville Classic. She noted how wonderful it was to not to be required to wear baggie shorts.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
And then there is Alexandera Houchin, 2018 and 2019 winner of the women’s division of the Tour Divide, a 2,745 mile bike race from Canada to Mexico over the Continental Divide, in cutoff shorts and work boots.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ugh cushier saddle and liner=not a great idea. Hopefully not a sofa cushy saddle. More than likely, the saddle she was on was not a proper fit. The stock Bontrager saddles that come with the Trek bikes are men's saddles. I rode one for a few seasons and noted that my toes were always going numb. Was advised to have my sits bones measured. Did so, got a women's saddle and voila! Toes no longer numb. The saddle is quite firm. I ordered a new width-specific Bontrager saddle this year (carbon) and I think it's not quite the right shape because I have numb toes once in awhile. It's a tad not-quite-so-firm. I'm debating going back to my previous women's specific saddle. Saddle height and fore-aft placement also play a big role in feel and fit.
Oddly enough my friend said she was getting numb toes. Maybe this new saddle will do the trick for her on that level.
And the new saddle is the Selle SMP, which is the same saddle she has on her road bike.

Also, she is the friend who bought my old Trek Fuel which had a WSD Bontrager Selle saddle like this one.
64634856327__B9F9EAF5-74B1-4E78-B0BF-839AD75C165E.HEIC.jpeg

As far as chamois, for me, I can't tolerate them if they cut into my waist. A yoga waist band is a must. I do like the Zoic liners but haven't tried any others lately because I love their shorts and have multiple liners that came with their shorts. I have some of their older liners that are much less bulky and like them for shorter rides. I still want a full "spandex" kit because the baggy shorts are annoying in the heat. I wear shorter shorts almost exclusively during the summer heat as a result, but shorter women's MTB shorts are getting harder to find. Well, at least ones with the thigh pockets that I like.
I really liked my Dakine padded shorts because they had nice padding and the waist band didn't cut into my waist. But they changed it so I was looking for a new option and went with your suggestion with this pair of Zoic Essential Bike Liners. I really like them but can't imagine how someone with bigger thighs would like the elastic around the thighs.
Terry Bicycles has a variety of liners/shorts that look like they'd be great around the waist area.
Zoic left - Dakine right

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.09.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.13.21 AM.png

Also, @AmyPJ if you're pondering the idea of going with less liner padding, the new Fixie shorts I got are amazing. The liner is built into the short, not removable, but its super light and moisture wicking. I am really loving them for these hot days.

These are my four liners/shorts
First two are Dakine Comp(same liner but different padding) 3rd is Zoic Essentials, 4th is the Terry Fixie.
56F86540-630E-481C-8B54-1AD5F3C2DCEF.JPG

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Your numb toe friend have any hip issues? I get numb toes, only the inner two, on the leg that I have the bad hip attached to. I think this is more nerve related and could be from shorts. Maybe more bio mechanical though.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Your numb toe friend have any hip issues? I get numb toes, only the inner two, on the leg that I have the bad hip attached to. I think this is more nerve related and could be from shorts. Maybe more bio mechanical though.
Not that I'm aware of but her issues seemed to go away with the new saddle.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So... talking of wicking and venting... what are your thoughts on having vented material just above the chamois (mons to waist area and coccyx to waist area?)

Fashionista alert: yes I know having vented zones like that looks like one had a bladder accident.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nice. I wonder if the saddle shape changed the hip angle or something. I'm curious if it's just me. Maybe I'm just busted...

My SMP has three distinct comfort points, in addition to on the rivet and off the back. So, quite likely.

Has your hip-bustedness affected your skating? I reckon that's where it would show first, no?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My SMP has three distinct comfort points, in addition to on the rivet and off the back. So, quite likely.

Has your hip-bustedness affected your skating? I reckon that's where it would show first, no?
Absolutely. Hockey is nearly crippling sometimes. Mostly it affects hip-flexed knee-out position. It has affected my mobility to one side and unfortunately my opponents know this! :ogbiggrin: It doesn't affect skiing quite as much although flexed knee-pointed-in does cause impingement of the never and subsequent leg collapse if I'm not careful. Payback's a bitch and her stripper name is Karma...

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anything to get moisture out from areas that can chafe....
My right side is my problematic side, hip, lower back, plantar faciitis, LLD.
I was having minor numbing in my toes on that side and changed where my foot is on the pedal, which took care of the problem.
This was soemthing brought up in a conversation wtih @Ron. If I didn't thank you for that, Thanks Ron!

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online