• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blister recommends wide rockered skis for beginners

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This popped up on youtube.
Deb getting people to go narrow.

Narrow means 70-86mm

Nah. Narrow means low 70s and sub 70s but I guess she sugarcoated it a bit on purpose so as not to shock the US audience too much. :ogbiggrin:

BTW If that lady in the brown jacket is advanced, I must be Marko-friggin-Odermatt man, lol

The lady in the blue jacket at the end however-badass! People from the ski shop; take these fat ski, and she’d be like: F*ck that shit man, gimme them FIS SLs! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: She’s 70 and she skis in Lange RS man, it doesnt get much cooler that that.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nah. Narrow means low 70s and sub 70s but I guess she sugarcoated it a bit on purpose so as not to shock the US audience too much. :ogbiggrin:

BTW If that lady in the brown jacket is advanced, I must be Marko-friggin-Odermatt man, lol

The lady in the blue jacket at the end however-badass! People from the ski shop; take these fat ski, and she’d be like: F*ck that shit man, gimme them FIS SLs! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
If you asked a person how they felt their level was, they would say beginner here, but people on national team will also rank their skills as intermediate to advanced, and win worldcup, its kinda a forced humble thing your brought up with.

women/girls for some reason LOVE fis SL, both gf, buddys daughter etc, all fighting to use his 155 fis sl stockli SL. (got my gf her own pair) Women saying their level is lower, and getting shit skis here is a thing, but I think its worse in the US. my GF's family owns a ski place in the US, and she had gotten her previous stuff there... lets just say she's 2 numbers mondo down in boots, and about 50-70 in flex up, and skis male deacon 84 mostly but of course also her beloved 102FR. in the US they gave her some supersoft skis that held her back a lot, just couldnt trust the gear.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you asked a person how they felt their level was, they would say beginner here, but people on national team will also rank their skills as intermediate to advanced, and win worldcup, its kinda a forced humble thing your brought up with.

Yeah, exactly the same here. :ogbiggrin: Everybody I know up to and including ex-national team level would say: Weeeel…I cope, more or less..

James

Out There
Instructor
Narrow means low 70s and sub 70s but I guess she sugarcoated it a bit on purpose so as not to shock the US audience too much
Pretty much. But there’s general inflation.
it’s tough some places to convince people 98mm isn’t a great learning ski. Then there’s the progressive mount issue.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Next - Deb does a vid on how jacket flapping creates an impression of how good you are regardless of how good you are. Not a lot to argue with there other than a basic message that skinny skis help you out a lot - are they cheating? ;)

More seriously

I'm actually impressed that she is actually pro wider ski in the right circumstances and acknowledges everyone has biases. She's actually advocating for quivers beyond addressing the core audience of groomer skiers which makes total sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
my GF's family owns a ski place in the US, and she had gotten her previous stuff there... lets just say she's 2 numbers mondo down in boots, and about 50-70 in flex up,
She got the Florida fit.
Unfortunately, it can happen all over.

I'm actually impressed that she is actually pro wider ski in the right circumstances and acknowledges everyone has biases. She's actually advocating for quivers beyond addressing the core audience of groomer skiers which makes total sense.
I think it could be more effective if the video was planned out more. We don’t need to see that skiing so much. But such is the nature of these videos. Then, since that’s what we have, we judge it as if it’s fully produced.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That’s so shocking that the 2nd woman didn’t find she could ski aggressively with her soft flexing 1400gr Touring skis with Shift bindings……..:huh:

I don’t fault her as it might be another case like the 3rd skier being talked into gear not suited for her needs. The difference is the older women rejected their initial incorrect recommendation.
The wrong type of ski and binding if she’s a powerful inbounds skier let alone the width.

As much as men are talked into(or desire) skis above their level, I bet there are more women talked into skis below their level. Never forget my reaction when seeing a family friend’s skis she was skiing on last year that I heard “she didn’t really like”. Knew they were Atomics and as she raced too when we were kids and it’s a partner lawyer in Toronto, I’m expecting Redsters or something and maybe the tune is off.
Find out she has Vantage foam core beginner skis with insanely light plastic bindings.
How a hard charging expert skier ended up being guided into those I will never know!

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s so shocking that the 2nd woman didn’t find she could ski aggressively with her soft flexing 1400gr Touring skis with Shift bindings
What were those? 1400gms?? What in 154?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
21 Icelantic Maiden 101 Lite
2920 grams (per pair for size 162cm)

The Maiden line which is their very soft flexing, all mountain freestyle ski with an even lighter build for easier touring. Might be a bit heavier now but definitely not a hard charger even in the standard version.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It follows that there is a systemic waist creep and consumer expectation problem :)

Yeah, everybody goes fat. :roflmao:Must be some psychological shit or something.
Which leads me back to my favorite: I am 6’5”, 250 lbs and need something 90+ for groomer skiing because it is MORE STABLE! :geek::ogbiggrin::roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Under 62 is already very difficult to find. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not know of a modern ski from last couple of seasons that is <65mm
IDone
—————
ID one usa brings you you this model in a 168cm. The MR-G offers a 95-62-85 side cut profile. The MR-G also utilizes a specialized graphite base to improve it's downhill performance.
—————————-

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
It follows that there is a systemic waist creep and consumer expectation problem :)
I’m not entirely convinced it’s actually a problem, while acknowledging that many skiers use wider skis than would best suit them.

But at least as I see it, with advances in technology the carving trade off for using say an 88mm ski on piste is vastly less than it was when I started to ski. Indeed there weren’t 88mm skis then at all! But when I think back to say an early generation wider ski like the Pocket Rocket which was 90mm underfoot, and a current generation Blizzard Brahma 88, they’re just chalk and cheese. The Blozzards are much closer to the performance of a carving ski than the PR. And the newer wider skis give you many more options on a deep snow day.

It’s all trade offs.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My well-documented triumphant return to skiing last season lacked timing, fresh snow-wise. My memory is vague but the last time I skied powder I think was on either some Rossignol STs or Olin Mark VIIs. If I find myself skiing on a snowy day on my Head e-Race Pros should I plan to head straight to the demo ski counter or will I just be getting better face shots than the other guys?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The lady in the blue jacket at the end however-badass! People from the ski shop; take these fat ski, and she’d be like: F*ck that shit man, gimme them FIS SLs! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: She’s 70 and she skis in Lange RS man, it doesnt get much cooler that that.
But we didn't get to see her ski. The next video is back with flapping brown jacket lady.

Sponsor

Staff online