• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Rustler 11 vs M-Free 108 vs Kastle ZX108 as my third ski for powder/soft days

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There’s a Blister review on youtube with a Rossi engineer. In that video the engineer discusses the mounting points. He says the “recommended” mount point (-4cm from center I believe?) will make it ski like a BO and the “directional” mount point (-6cm from center?) will make it ski like a sender. I’m planning to go right between those.
I like Blister’s content, but tend to tune out whenever someone’s wearing flannel.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I agree Blister gives a much better review. I just thought it was funny that both Ski Essentials and Ski Town All Stars act like the Enforcer 110 Free is some insane big mountain ski that could only be used at Jackson Hole by an expert, but everyone in these forums says basically the opposite about it and that it’s very easy and fun to ski.

I ended up going with the Sender Free 110s. There’s a Blister review on youtube with a Rossi engineer. In that video the engineer discusses the mounting points. He says the “recommended” mount point (-4cm from center I believe?) will make it ski like a BO and the “directional” mount point (-6cm from center?) will make it ski like a sender. I’m planning to go right between those.
As the OP who owns a pair, I would say they are reasonably forgiving, and are not super stiff or unevenly flexing or anything. That said, they do have 2 sheets of titanal, and are Enforcers--they have a minimum speed limit IMO. I find them a bit planky at low speeds for sure (and again they are 110 underfoot metal skis). They are not the crazy narrower enforcers your daddy knew. But I find them a bit burly at times. Some of it is how I poorly ski still too.

The Unleashed 108s are a slightly different breed, 1/2 a sheet of metal rather than 2. Still nice shape. An option from Nordica that's a little less burly. I have the unleashed 98s which are a lighter, softer, I think more forgiving ski than the Enforcer 100s would be.

I would say (greg can correct me) Greg likes a relatively stable-at-speed, damp ski, which generally includes something with a little more mass to it.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
would say (greg can correct me) Greg likes a relatively stable-at-speed, damp ski, which generally includes something with a little more mass to it.
Correct! I’d like the Enforcers more if their turn radius was a bit longer for more stability and a bit less taper for more edge grip. That would up their “minimum speed” though so I’m sure more customers like it as is.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
6ft 190lbs - The Sender Free 110s are 184cm

My daily is the M6 Mantra in a 184cm. I also have a Volkl Blaze 86 for slow and easy days with my toddler. Both of those mounted as recommended.
Definitely go at back from the -2cm line then for your size and the fact you’re used to very traditional mounts. Those Volkls will be in the -11cm to -12cm back from Center range and the 184cm Mantra will tape measure a couple cm longer than the Sender Free 110.

I’d probably go -3cm from the topsheet rec bump on the ski(as the -2cm graphic can vary) and call it a day!

tigersmash21

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I like Blister’s content, but tend to tune out whenever someone’s wearing flannel.
Lol. Lots of flannel in CO, unfortunately. We need more review content from companies located in UT :roflmao:
Steeper slopes, more snow, shorter hair, and better fashion sense.

tigersmash21

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Definitely go at back from the -2cm line then for your size and the fact you’re used to very traditional mounts. Those Volkls will be in the -11cm to -12cm back from Center range and the 184cm Mantra will tape measure a couple cm longer than the Sender Free 110.

I’d probably go -3cm from the topsheet rec bump on the ski(as the -2cm graphic can vary) and call it a day!
How is the playfulness when mounted 3cm behind the recommended point?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How is the playfulness when mounted 3cm behind the recommended point?
Very playful still because of the mount point being much closer to center vs your traditional skis along with the increased rocker and tail splay. When flat, they will be much easier to pivot and then when on edge, still grip very well.
Have my almost identical spec 184cm CT 3.0 at about the same mount as -3cm on the SF 110 and it’s a perfect mix of playful yet stable. You can drive the ski if you want but not required. A closer mount for your size and the ski might feel too short for you on the 184cm Sender Free 110 and you may not like them as much.
Most of the skiers/reviewers near the rec line are much lighter along with being more used to center mounted skis.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol. Lots of flannel in CO, unfortunately. We need more review content from companies located in UT :roflmao:

I wouldn't go that far unless you are a fan of Sitka digi camo patterns.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree it’s funny how “demanding” some find the Enforcers of any kind and MANY times it’s a big red flag for tuning issues if they are sized properly. Very commonly edge high which makes them seem much heavier and harder to pivot than they should be.
Personally, I try to never base grind freeride skis unless, until they suffer base damage. I am good with reviewers skiing them out of the wrapper if it weeds out skis with qaqc issues like not being ground flat at the factory.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Personally, I try to never base grind freeride skis unless, until they suffer base damage. I am good with reviewers skiing them out of the wrapper if it weeds out skis with qaqc issues like not being ground flat at the factory.
I’d like to not have to grind right away too but so many times, brand new ski needs a grind to flatten the base and LOTS of hand tuning to make the edges uniform. Doesn’t seem to matter what manufacturer or what type of ski, factory tunes are still very hit and miss.

I luckily have a few trusted shops that can grind them flat and then I enjoy hand tuning them from there.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys would've been out of your element in Seattle when I was there in college in the 90's ogsmile You have seen flannel and long hair like that...but the music scene was amazing!

Sponsor