• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Books ... books about skiing ... here or where ??

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I always pair McCluggage's book with this one by Gallwey and Kriegel. The two books seem to offer two somewhat similar variations of ski skill acquisition which are both influenced by the 70s interest in Eastern religion and its perceived non-Western way of thinking.
Whatever happened to doing ski instruction this way?
Inner Skiing.JPG

Last edited:

AliceB

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Seth Masia ... I am in awe about your reputation and your knowledge !!
In fact , I would like to download everything you know into my own brain ... Sadly it is impossible ...
The next best thing would be to meet you but who in his right mind would come to a backwater like Quebec ?
On the other side , I have no money to go to Colorado .

This said - and without bragging - I can tell you that my ''research library'' is much bigger than yours !!!
Sadly , I can't take a picture as most of my books are in bins downstairs and laying around everywhere in the house !!! If my wife was coming back from Heaven , there would be Hell in here :)
I will be 65 this year and I started buying books early . My main passion was skiing and mountains . Still is but I added surfing , mysteries , painting and erotica (...) . Twice I have been president of the climbing and mountaineering federation in my country so it helped .
My place is full of skis ( 135 pairs ) ...
If Lyne was coming back she would hit me on the head with a piolet , that is for sure ...

Now , in all that I see , what are your 5 favorite books ???
Favorite mysteries? Any ski mysteries??

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
1579175901241.png
1579175901241.png

Well , AliceB , you could begin with that one ... a classic English murder mystery ...

cchambski

Booting up
Skier
If you haven’t seen this book...check it out. It is quite possibly the most deep level, old school book relative to early skiing in America of any. Pushing a hundred years old, it’s been touched (signed) by THE who’s who of the fledgling ski scene at the time when America’s first destination ski resort and the “ski industry” was in it’s infancy. The content is a bit underwhelming but the provenance is off the charts.

Here’s the link:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
1611232218252.png

Got this book for Christmas back in the early 80's. Never thought it would be helpful until I read it. It really helped explain a bunch of concepts and techniques that really improved my skiing.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
View attachment 121561
Got this book for Christmas back in the early 80's. Never thought it would be helpful until I read it. It really helped explain a bunch of concepts and techniques that really improved my skiing.
I also benefitted from reading ski instruction during my early years when I would ski about five days/year. I found that although I did not always understand the writing when I first read it, the ideas often hit home the next time I got onto a slope. J-C Killy's book was like that for me. He discussed "l'independence des jambes," the independence of the legs, on the topic of skiing with the feet close together.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Favorite book on dealing with fear. There are a number of editions, with a title change to A Conversation with Fear at some point.
IMG_1218.jpeg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Favorite book for anyone confused about the fundamentals of getting a turn to work. Lito is a wonderful writer. His descriptions of what to do to make a turn happen are more understandable and compelling than all the rest. He empathizes with the frustrated skier; you can feel his compassion. He learned to ski as an adult.
IMG_1224.jpeg

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
One of my favorite books on how to teach. Ellen Post Foster is excellent at describing drills and progressions. There are extensive photographs on every page.
IMG_1219.jpeg

Last edited:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Favorite book on dealing with fear. There are a number of editions, with a title change to A Conversation with Fear at some point.
View attachment 121572
"You've gotta learn to drive with the fear. There ain't nothin' more frightenin' than drivin' with a live cougar in the car. If you're calm, that wonderous big cat will be calm too. But if you're scared, that beautiful death machine will do what God made it to do, namely, eat you with a smile on its face."

Sponsor

Staff online