• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots too much flex.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
lol I would have if I had been taken seriously. Seems I have to travel to get it done. Maybe I wasn't clear, I currently have boots, looking to downsize. Whatever, I shouldn't have even chimed in. Next time I'll clip the hundred dollar bills to my shirt, wonder if that will get any attention?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
lol I would have if I had been taken seriously. Seems I have to travel to get it done. Maybe I wasn't clear, I currently have boots, looking to downsize. Whatever, I shouldn't have even chimed in. Next time I'll clip the hundred dollar bills to my shirt, wonder if that will get any attention?
We do what we must. My boot fitter is 250+ miles away.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We do what we must. My boot fitter is 250+ miles away.

Like you. My fitter is usually 240 miles from home. In the middle of the winter, he is 2 to 3 thousands of miles away.

Reactions: Ogg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Forgive the slight hijack, but let me ask a question of the experts. What magic words should a person use with a bootfitter to let them know they're serious about getting a fit, and not just looking for a quick purchase? I've visited a few bootfitters (with locally good reputations) and none of them took a good look at my feet other than putting them in a Brannock device; they brought out maybe 2 pairs of boots in my size, and basically just watched me as I put them on and clomped around. I'm certainly not the best skier on the mountain, but I most certainly am the best skier in my neighborhood. So what do I say when I go shopping to let the fitter know I'm ready to spend some time getting things right?
Good luck with that. It seems unless you have FIS points, even the most recommended fitter won't take you seriously.
I'm still breaking in my new liners, and I think the boots will turn out ok, but what a process!

You can show him your old ultra stiff race boots with tons of custom work, tell him you ski a high performance recreational SL as a daily driver 30+ days a season, but occasionally ski on antique speed skis, and they will still take you for Gerry of the Day and stick you in a boot with a mushy liner.

Based on my current experience, my next boot is going to be a Dodge.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good luck with that. It seems unless you have FIS points, even the most recommended fitter won't take you seriously.
One of the most patient and attentive bootfitters I've been to had both worked on boots for Olympic medalists and been one himself. Clearly had no need to give it the big I am.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm still breaking in my new liners, and I think the boots will turn out ok, but what a process!

You can show him your old ultra stiff race boots with tons of custom work, tell him you ski a high performance recreational SL as a daily driver 30+ days a season, but occasionally ski on antique speed skis, and they will still take you for Gerry of the Day and stick you in a boot with a mushy liner.

Based on my current experience, my next boot is going to be a Dodge.

Im sorry, but the bolded is utter bull$h1t.

And if someone brought in their 70's 80's Koflachs, Id be happy to explain the differences between them and a modern race boot design and the 'why'. Now if you want a replica of the old boot, its just not going to happen. Foam liner in a modern plug? Stance and alignment work and a footbed? Sure! Easy. Happy to do it. Every fitter i know loves to work with people who give a damn about their skiing and gear.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
@markojp I respect the hell out of most of your your posts, and while @François Pugh may have exaggerated a bit to make a point… But please don’t try to say that our experiences don’t exist. Lots of us have struggled to be heard with highly recommended bootfitters, despite our lifetimes of experience and of course our love for skiing and the gear.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
@markojp I respect the hell out of most of your your posts, and while @François Pugh may have exaggerated a bit to make a point… But please don’t try to say that our experiences don’t exist. Lots of us have struggled to be heard with highly recommended bootfitters, despite our lifetimes of experience and of course our love for skiing and the gear.

I'm absolutely interested in your experience. The lack of consistent professionalism should be a concern and a reminder to all to simply do better. That said, hyperbole to stir the pot serves no one well, and François has a long history of speaking well outside of his actual experience to pile on or make a point.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Forgive the slight hijack, but let me ask a question of the experts. What magic words should a person use with a bootfitter to let them know they're serious about getting a fit, and not just looking for a quick purchase? I've visited a few bootfitters (with locally good reputations) and none of them took a good look at my feet other than putting them in a Brannock device; they brought out maybe 2 pairs of boots in my size, and basically just watched me as I put them on and clomped around. I'm certainly not the best skier on the mountain, but I most certainly am the best skier in my neighborhood. So what do I say when I go shopping to let the fitter know I'm ready to spend some time getting things right?
Magic words..."Which way is the exit?" If they are really bootfitters you won't have the experience you mention. If they are just sales clerks they can't fit boots. Or maybe phone in advance. Ask who is the best bootfitter, because you have some foot problems (the main problem is that you can't ski well in poorly fitted boots.) If you get a name or two, make an appointment. If the answer is, "everyone," try elsewhere.

I'd like to see a sticky posting on what one should see and hear from a qualified fitter when shopping for boots. If you don't get the right experience, at an early point head for the door.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Everybody needs to somehow acquire the knowledge they will need to deal their boot fitter. I bought my first pair of boots in Florida from a local respected "Sporting Goods" store. They were comfortable, which I liked, but when we did our 1 week trip to Whitefish I realized I was swimming in them. That was the week I discovered the old EpicSki site and started asking questions just like the OP. To their credit the "Sporting Goods" store (Bill Jackson's in St Pete FL) did the right thing and gave me full credit and I bought the same boot in the next smaller size.

Since then I just dived head first into the skiing world to become a better skier and better buyer of ski equipment. If you don't have prior experience when dealing with a boot fitter, make sure he knows that you may be the new guy, but you are passionate about the sport and demand his/her attention. For what it's worth I'm on my 9th season and my 4th pair of boots. It's an expensive sport but today was worth every penny.
:daffy:

Sponsor

Staff online