• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Build your own diamond "puck" stones

James

Out There
Instructor
A course edge will wear out faster if it’s at all like knives. Also, since the abrasive in diamond stones in an edge guide is cutting parallel to the edge, I’m dubious there’s a tooth as opposed to just unrefined coarseness.

One needs to take wcup skiers tuning comments in perspective. They almost never tune their own skis, and the baseline of preparation is extremely high.
When Bode said about skis at Sochi, “you want the ski as dull as possible to do the job” it’s not dull like most people think.

If you want tooth, use a spinning disc.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Next Ski Talk Thread: Lib Tech skis and the magic of magnetraction edges. ;)

Not sure if they still do it, but their ski edges used to actually be lightly serrated. :geek:
I knew a guy who unintentionally put a serrated edge on a ski by using too much pressure on a side file. He reported that it had crazy good grip on ice but it was too slow to ski enjoyably. i suspect a few inches of serration under your foot on a powder ski might help you get past the occasional frozen waterfall above the best stuff, but I never tried it.

In other news, a Swiss company named Tooltonic makes a tool to put burr on a side edge for better ice grip:
https://www.tooltonic.com/en/ice-catcher/1-ice-catcher-over-sharpener
I would try one of those but it's north of $240 before shipping.

dm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want tooth, use a spinning disc.

Few seasons back, Stockli skis used to come from the factory with serrated side edges. The side edges looked like it was finished with a milling machine rather than a grinder/sanding belt.

Beautiful to look at but the angles was not consistent. Varies every few inches. :nono:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Bringing home the T4B Puck and rolling pin guide for rotational and linear cutting:

My pseudo ‘rough/serrated edges’ have been gripping well in highly variable surfaces yesterday at Purgatory and today in Telluride for another epic spring day from freshies, to steep firm, to corn with ice underneath. You can definitely notice the roughness. Next test will be to smooth out the striations

James

Out There
Instructor
Just use the gizmo rolling, for the tooth on the edge. Don’t go linear.

Last edited:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Related: I've done an admittedly quick A/B test with freshly-tuned skis. One where I stopped with the 100 stone, and one where I went in steps to 400. No way I could differentiate, though my snow is typically soft by EC stds.

I feel a nice pre-season purchase coming along. Right now, the mind is occupied with waxing chains before a big, two-week, mtb trip. :ogbiggrin:
Dude, there’s still powder and corn to harvest In them hills.

Where’s the trip? Desert?

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Bringing home the T4B Puck and rolling pin guide for rotational and linear cutting:

My pseudo ‘rough/serrated edges’ have been gripping well in highly variable surfaces yesterday at Purgatory and today in Telluride for another epic spring day from freshies, to steep firm, to corn with ice underneath. You can definitely notice the roughness. Next test will be to smooth out the striations

This thing looks like the "poor man's" version of an electric edge tuning machine. It manually creates the rotational action of the disc by the pin rolling along the ski base. It's quite clever. How well does the rolling pin part maintain traction on the ski base? I would think you would want that part to have some kind of cover for better friction, rather than the smooth steel.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude, there’s still powder and corn to harvest In them hills.

Where’s the trip? Desert?

Sadly, nothing, or not much, left for us. Lifts stop spinning on Sunday. We probably finished up yesterday, on a warm, sunny, glorious corn day.

Sorta kinda desert for spring mtb -- Prescott AZ.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, nothing, or not much, left for us. Lifts stop spinning on Sunday. We probably finished up yesterday, on a warm, sunny, glorious corn day.

Sorta kinda desert for spring mtb -- Prescott AZ.
You should always keep your toys with you during spring trips. All options are on the table! Ski yesterday, golf today, bike tomorrow....Arizona Snowbowl.ogwink

We went through Prescott this fall and enjoyed the Colt Grill for BBQ.

There's good riding around Sedona too.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This thing looks like the "poor man's" version of an electric edge tuning machine. It manually creates the rotational action of the disc by the pin rolling along the ski base. It's quite clever. How well does the rolling pin part maintain traction on the ski base? I would think you would want that part to have some kind of cover for better friction, rather than the smooth steel.
Since I already have traditional edge guides, and an Evo power edger, the use cases for me would be a) just because it looks cool, b) for travel.
I wonder how it compares in size and weight to the traditional guide (remembering to include the spring clamp in the accounting).
I would be concerned how the roller would react to big scratches large structure features in the base.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Since I already have traditional edge guides, and an Evo power edger, the use cases for me would be a) just because it looks cool, b) for travel.
I wonder how it compares in size and weight to the traditional guide (remembering to include the spring clamp in the accounting).
I would be concerned how the roller would react to big scratches large structure features in the base.

Clearly the condition of the base (flatness, damage) would impact the accuracy of this tool.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
All the Rolling Pin needs now is the next iteration with a hex shaft, Spin Handle & drill for the true poor man's side edge tuner.:ogbiggrin:
T4B_Rolling-Pin-Side-Edge.LineUp.jpg

PLUS
spinrotokitbrass_large.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online