• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Build your own diamond "puck" stones

James

Out There
Instructor
It's not the same Edgewise over at Sunapee?
No. Never tried though. Once Graham got out, its done. Know someone he wanted to have take over, but that’s a specific life and tied to Stowe. Not many takers. Labor was the issue.
Don’t know if he sold the name or just lets them use it.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
The structure of SkiVisions is pretty primitive though.

Are you more interested in machining and aesthetic base structure or performance you can micro-manage yourself? I think most people couldn't tell the performance difference between a linear, crosshatch or any number off awesome looking machined structures.

Here's one I did by hand with the base structuring tool & sand paper.

77F2D73D-3F8D-4CA6-BEC4-43F3DE796210_1_105_c.jpeg

If you want to cross hatch or have other control, I designed the structure disk so you have lots of control with various silicon carbide sand paper grits.

structure_disc_planers_large.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
^ that looks good!
I’d be willing to give it another shot. Its been 20 yrs probably.
How do you have a blue one, you made it?

James

Out There
Instructor
Erik's been touting the MMSC tuners.
That’s where Graham’s machines went. But the labor is the issue. That’s 4hrs + to drop off, plus 4 hrs to pick up. Some could be combined with skiing Stowe. Graham was worth it, I almost never combined when I went up.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First post in this thread, but I wondered if I could use old Moonflex stones as a base for the diamond paper. They appear to be flat (except for the grit # which could be ground off) and I've got a few around that could be put to use.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
First post in this thread, but I wondered if I could use old Moonflex stones as a base for the diamond paper. They appear to be flat (except for the grit # which could be ground off) and I've got a few around that could be put to use.
In general, I think you could use any diamond file backing as long as you could get the diamond paper off cleanly. The adhesive on the diamond paper might dissolve with citrus or other solvent. Using a straight razor scraper ought to help.

Then you could either make your own diamond strips and adhere them, or get some PSA prefabricated strips.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
No. Never tried though. Once Graham got out, its done. Know someone he wanted to have take over, but that’s a specific life and tied to Stowe. Not many takers. Labor was the issue.
Don’t know if he sold the name or just lets them use it.
Graham sold the Edgewise name to Skinner's at Sunapee and got out. It is not the same company as the original Edgewise. If you want a no-worry, it always be right tune, SkiMD is the place. Agree it can be a shock to the system if you need something done mid-season and Mike tells you it will be a 1+ month wait....

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking these diamond 'sticks' are somewhat like a rasp. It works great on the structuring stones, detuning tips & tails, side wall/topsheet smoothing, base repair, etc, with countless other possibilities. To not waste diamonds, I'll toss a prototype in for you, Dwight. Thanks!
IMG_3465.jpeg

Last edited:

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I'm thinking these diamond 'sticks' are somewhat like a rasp. It works great on the structuring stones, detuning tips & tails, side wall/topsheet smoothing, base repair, etc, with countless other possibilities. To not waste diamonds, I'll toss a prototype in for you, Dwight. Thanks! View attachment 231479

…and good for pedicure too!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking these diamond 'sticks' are somewhat like a rasp. It works great on the structuring stones, detuning tips & tails, side wall/topsheet smoothing, base repair, etc, with countless other possibilities. To not waste diamonds, I'll toss a prototype in for you, Dwight. Thanks! View attachment 231479
I got the goods. Thank you very much. I like the looks and feel of them.
20240401_190958_HDR.jpg
20240401_191016_HDR.jpg
20240401_191059_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20240401_191016_HDR.jpg
    20240401_191016_HDR.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but I encourage others to do double-blind tests like this to make your own conclusions and decisions for you, where you ski, what kind of snow, type of skis, etc.

Related: I've done an admittedly quick A/B test with freshly-tuned skis. One where I stopped with the 100 stone, and one where I went in steps to 400. No way I could differentiate, though my snow is typically soft by EC stds.

The forth coming compact 2 & 3 degree tuners, side wall cutter & scraper sharpener work well with the 80mm diamonds.

I feel a nice pre-season purchase coming along. Right now, the mind is occupied with waxing chains before a big, two-week, mtb trip. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I've done an admittedly quick A/B test with freshly-tuned skis. One where I stopped with the 100 stone, and one where I went in steps to 400. No way I could differentiate, though my snow is typically soft by EC stds.
I heard a podcast recently where Ted Ligety said he leaves his edges a little coarse for very cold courses. I rarely use a stone finer than 100. I think maybe a fine edge is faster (if you're timing at hundreths of a second) but coarser gives more grip, but it only makes a difference on harder than Eastern packed powder.

dm

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard a podcast recently where Ted Ligety said he leaves his edges a little coarse for very cold courses. I rarely use a stone finer than 100. I think maybe a fine edge is faster (if you're timing at hundreths of a second) but coarser gives more grip, but it only makes a difference on harder than Eastern packed powder.

dm

Next Ski Talk Thread: Lib Tech skis and the magic of magnetraction edges. ;)

Not sure if they still do it, but their ski edges used to actually be lightly serrated. :geek:

Sponsor