• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Characteristics of a good crud ski

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to go any wider than 88 mm; I have some wider skis for deep western powder skiing. Out West, if it is cut up snow / chowder I have been using the Rev 85's. I will take a look at those skis you mention.
What about the 2016 Blizzard Brahma?

The M88 is really a lovely ski if you already like your rev85... My bad analogy, the M88 is a rev 85 after spending a day a week at the gym over the off season.

birthdaysuit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Damp or at least damp-ish. Wide, but not too wide. Early rise, but little or none of that out back. Camber.

The best crud ski I've ever had is the Line Influence 115, but it's just too darn heavy for day after day use (maybe 2,500 g per ski?).

Current favorite is the Motive 95, which, even with some metal, is not overly hefty.

Which year? 11/12 Influence 115 or 12/13 Influence 115.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heavier than John Pinette after an all you can eat buffet.

Timely. On the way to lunch today, I was listening to him do a bit about losing weight, going to the gym, etc. Hilarious!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Best crud ski I know of are my quads (as in upper legs) after about 3 weeks of every day skiing.

Honestly though, the Kastle BMX105hp is my favorite crud/shitsnow ski currently, although the Salomon Dictator sits even with it.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
My Head 85 Rev's are better than I thought they would be. I am also very pleased with my Bonafides as well.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just picked up a pair of last year's (15-16) Monster 88. Bring on the snow, which, inevitably, will turn into crud . . .
By the way, I'll be trying to figure out how the Monster 88 and my Motive 95 fit together in my quiver. Any predictions? WIll I sell one (which one) or will I find a place for both?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
By the way, I'll be trying to figure out how the Monster 88 and my Motive 95 fit together in my quiver. Any predictions? WIll I sell one (which one) or will I find a place for both?
#firstworldskiproblems I believe you will find a place for both.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
#firstworldskiproblems I believe you will find a place for both.
LOL, you are probably right. But in all seriousness, how would you decide to bring one vs the other up the gondola? I can see the Motive being a little more compliant in bumps, but I don't ski bumps much. The Monster is known as a crudbuster, but that is my main use of the Motive as well. Both ought to be competent, but not ideal, in trees. Not that I am regretting the purchase, just contemplating the morning when I look at both and try to decide which one to grab and :huh::huh::huh:

Yes, a good problem to have :golfclap:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think it will become pretty clear, once you've skied them both in a variety of conditions, etc. You might find that you are clearly going to pull one pair over another on certain days. Might even have to do with who you're skiing with?

I've seen a lot of people assume that there will be quite a bit of overlap, largely based on the dimensions and design, when in fact they ski differently in some conditions, terrain, speed.

I spent most of the winter in New England, skiing on a hard surface, groomed/tilled runs. So 75% of the time I'm on a Head I.speed. Easy choice. I ask ski with a pretty varied group of friends. I almost never ski bumps, unless they are soft and newly formed, or it's late spring.

When there's fresh snow, there are choices. I had a good Blizzard connection for a while and I owned the Brahma, Bonafide, Cochise and Bodacious. Overkill. All in the longest length.

What I found was that in the world of love it or hate it, I'm a Bonfide fan. I found myself pulling that ski a lot, and not so much the Brahma. So I sold the Brahma's. I found that I almost never was skiing the conditions where the Cochise excels. I pulled the Bodacious instead, and much preferred how it skied in a fairly wide range of conditions. Surprisingly so. Cochise sold.

Last year I picked up a pair of Monster 88's. For me, a much different ski than the Brahma was. So I ski it a lot of days when I would have stuck with my cheaters, and many days when I would have reached for the Bonafides.

There are days when I'd be fine, and would have a great day on either the Monsters or the Bonafides. Love that Monster. Been on Bonfides since they came out. Have the newer design now. That's my Swiss Army knife ski. It might not be the best at anything, but it does everything pretty darn well. I'll ski it in the spring, in real soft snow (and bumps). Versatility is big. Just one cm difference in the waist, and ENTIRELY different ski. Happen to love both.

So, yep, I'd ski them and some distinct preferences might develop.

BTW, for a long time, I thought about a MX-88. Liked the ski a lot, and felt I'd ski it many days. The problem is that at 5'10", 200 lbs, I just felt between sizes. 178cm was not enough, and didn't like the 188cm. At the cost, I just never made the move. The 184cm Monster is, for me, great. I think it does what a would have expected the MX-88 to do, and more. And on that versatility scale, it also delivers more than I expected.

I'd ski them both and see how it goes. Think you'll keep them both!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
BTW...for our kind of crud, any of my skis other than the I.speeds work. Depends on where I'll be skiing. Big open spaces, big turns. Bodacious. Skied out, crapped out, now bumped up 10" of Eastern snow, could be a toss up. Might go Bonafide. 8" of chunky snow over a firm base, where I want to ski fast, blast through it, and not have to make big turns only? Monster.

When I'm out West, I borrow some skis on the days of crud. Cochise has been nice. 193cm Enforcer, too. Our son lives there, same BSL. Lots of options.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting thread. I’m looking for softer crud busters for Sierra crud. Trying to replace my Armada Victa 87ti, which are fine crud busters, but stiffer than I like. Looking for something around same width. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsor

Staff online