• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Characteristics of a good crud ski

TS
Paul S.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
First question I have is what do you consider to be "crud"? As Bob Barnes' "crudology" video states, crud can vary from mildly challenging to truly obnoxious. What I want on my feet depends on where the conditions reside on that spectrum
East coast crud that's rapidly being churned into mogul fields demands one thing; I like something nimble... The leg-breaking concrete that I encountered somewhere at Snowmass during the Gathering required a bulldozer.

To me crud is all the things BB talks about in his Crudology video. Does anyone know what skis any of the skiers were on in the video?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damp or at least damp-ish. Wide, but not too wide. Early rise, but little or none of that out back. Camber.

The best crud ski I've ever had is the Line Influence 115, but it's just too darn heavy for day after day use (maybe 2,500 g per ski?).

Current favorite is the Motive 95, which, even with some metal, is not overly hefty.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Nordica El Capo covers the most crud spectrum in my current quiver I wish I had one that was about 90mm underfoot for less thick crud days as it stands the E93 is great in crud but more finesse than slice. For really thick heavy deep crud, then the Renegade. Another ski that was really good especially in thick heavy crud was the full reverse camber Volkl Katana.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd say that the Samba is my favorite crud ski (at the moment).
  • Just enough tip rocker to stay above the crap
  • Just stiff enough to power through the garbage
  • Just nimble enough that I can work it when I need to

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Interesting Tricia. I found my Temptation 88's hard last weekend. I think it's the tip rocker. They are the old model without the "air tip". They just seemed heavy, or maybe it's the bad knees!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I still like my Coombas in crud. But then...

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
too much Tail rocker wont track well through the turn causing instability
Do you mean that the upturned tail gets caught in crud? Which I would expect to toss your tail down the fall line and/or push your ski into a tighter circumference turn.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
No, for me, too much tail rocker prohibits the ski from locking on on a turn allowing me to cut through the snow. I dont ski crud with the ski flat but rather keep it on edge.

kickerfrank

Let's Talk Business
Manufacturer
I try to hold back on the self promotion on here but please excuse this one. Our Furlough Friday model is a perfect crud ski (it's what I use anyway). We describe it as our ATV. There isn't a condition it can't handle.

We designed it with the following characteristics: stiff tip, higher tip height, thicker core for stiffness and damping, 92mm waist and shallow sidecut. It is also a twin-tip.

It's a burly ski that won't get tossed around.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting Tricia. I found my Temptation 88's hard last weekend. I think it's the tip rocker. They are the old model without the "air tip". They just seemed heavy, or maybe it's the bad knees!
The Experience 88 was one of the worst crud skis I uever skied for a few reasons, first the snub nosed tip, it just plowed in the snow, even with the early ride, it never got up. The shape, a lot of flare in the tip and tail locked the ski into a turn and lastly the ski was very stiff.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Now all the "crude ski" comments will be lost on those who did not witness the original misspelling. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was going to make some sort of "crude" ski photoshop piece - now it is pointless.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
IMHO, great crud skis... E-100, Kastle MX series, the older 13-14-15 FX series, Head Monster Series, Head Rev 85 pro. All in all some pretty common traits in the bunch above... A couple sheets of metal, wood core, all have a 17m or longer turn radius, and a pretty traditional shape. For really deep crappy mucky crud, still love the old Bodacious. Mo' metal!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January