• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Charlie Woods ... A glimpse into the future?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Charlie Woods is a good story, my fear for him is the expectation that he can compare to his Dad. Notah Begay, last month, conducted an event in Fl. where 14 & 15 year olds played. Charlie finished 13 strokes behind the leader. Junior golf in Fl. & So. Cal. is extremely competitive. I think he did 1 of Notah's other events in his age group. He has talent, his Dad was the USGA Jr. Open Champ twice....tough act to follow.
I'll be watching! Another good story is Annika is playing with her son!
I agree. Its exciting to watch but more than anything it will be interesting to see how he develops overall, not just the golf aspects. Its a ton of pressure

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I watched a little of the Pro-Am yesterday. Charlie is taller this year, he's 14..still has a years of growth ahead. He has to play just 1 tee short of Tiger this year. Weather yesterday was windy, major storm to cross the area today....not going to be easy for the young players. Interesting to see how Charle does in the short game....Tiger, arguably, was the best ever around the greens and with flat sick.
Great moment...they did an interview with Annika Sorenatam who is playing with her 11 year old son Will McGee. They asked Will who his golf idol is, he just tlooked straight at his mom with a big smile on his face. Never said a word, priceless!
John Daly Jr is on the Arkansas Golf team, think he is a sophomore, maybe still a redshirt with respect to playing on the top 5, college golf is so competitive.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Returning to just how good Tiger was in his teens. At 15, he won the first of 3 consecutive USGA Junior Championships. Tiger was not the youngest ever to win that event, a 14 year old win.
There is a story that Charlie kidded Tiger because t Charlie's HS golf team won the Fla. state team championships...Tigner did not win the same team event in Ca. So, Charlie did something Tiger never did. Next year, Tiger can return the "dig" if Charlie does not win the same event.
Interesting footnote: at 15, Jordan Spieth became the youngest finalist in the same event. Also, winning the event does not have a high correlation to success as a pro.
Some good video of Tiger in his teens...who is that tall skinny kid wearing unusual hats.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Today's News...Charlie's putting it on the line!

Charlie Woods will compete in a pre-qualifier for the Cognizant Classic in The Palm Beaches formerly known as the Honda Classic on Thursday.

Woods will play Lost Lake Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida, one of four pre-qualifying sites, and tee off at 7:39 a.m. ET. Approximately 25 players and ties from each site will advance to the event’s Monday qualifier, and four players will earn a spot in the field at PGA National.

Charlie, the son of 15-time major champion Tiger Woods, has played in the PNC Championship with his father since 2019. If Charlie makes it through both stages, he’ll make his first start on the PGA Tour at 15 years, 21 days old.

Tiger, who withdrew from the Genesis Invitational last week due to illness, made his Tour debut at Riviera Country Club in 1992 at 16 years, 1 month and 28 days old.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Looked more like Charlie Gildart :doh:

The 15-year-old son of 15-time major champion Tiger Woods shot a 16-over 86 at Lost Lake Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida, in an attempt to reach the Monday qualifier for the upcoming Tour stop at PGA National, Feb. 29-March 3. Woods, who had a gallery of people following his round alongside longtime mini-tour professional Olin Browne Jr., made four bogeys, two double bogeys and a 12 on the par-4 7th hole.

But, I'd still call that a super fun day of golf for me :cool:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's hard to gauge his level. I couldn't find a handicap for him. He is currently ranked 1300 among Junior golfers in the US. But he's had some good runs recently with some top 20 results. Time will tell I suppose.. I just don't see any hype for the 1299 juniors ahead of him. Is what it..squirrel...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd wager he just plain enjoys playing with his dad more so he plays better with dad..

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Not quite as bad as the total score of 86 suggests, given that, on a par 4, he required 12 shots to hole out. Not sure I've ever been 8 over par on 1 hole. Just wondering, when was the last time Tiger shot 86?
Junior golf is just so much more competitive since Tiger's youth. Golf is much more a world game plus attracting much better athletes. My hope is that Charlie can just stay out of the news and develop his golf game...and learn to stop dropping clubs following a bad shot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe he's more of a free skier or guitar player. He doesn't have to be a golfer at all. Or, does he? No pressure LOL!

scott43

Skier
Not quite as bad as the total score of 86 suggests, given that, on a par 4, he required 12 shots to hole out. Not sure I've ever been 8 over par on 1 hole. Just wondering, when was the last time Tiger shot 86?
Junior golf is just so much more competitive since Tiger's youth. Golf is much more a world game plus attracting much better athletes. My hope is that Charlie can just stay out of the news and develop his golf game...and learn to stop dropping clubs following a bad shot.
I would respond that's why they play 18.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looked more like Charlie Gildart :doh:

But, I'd still call that a super fun day of golf for me :cool:

Your post made me giggle. - Charlile Gildart!! HA!
I thought... 12? Pffft, I can get more than that. Rookie. :cool:

But seriously, we need to remember he's 14 (or is he 15 now?) and he's only human
And as noted back in post #18 he's competing with kids who are 3 or 4 years older than he is.
I can only imagine the pressure.

scott43

Skier
Yeah he's 15. But why rush then? I don't think he feels pressure. Not like he's worried where his next meal is coming from...

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Junior golf is just so much more competitive since Tiger's youth.
Did Tiger have 50 fans following him around the course and demanding autographs when he was 15? Sure Tiger won the Junior Amateur at that age, but the scrutiny and attention on Charlie is insane. Let the kid be a kid and develop. People are strange.

scott43

Skier
Did Tiger have 50 fans following him around the course and demanding autographs when he was 15? Sure Tiger won the Junior Amateur at that age, but the scrutiny and attention on Charlie is insane. Let the kid be a kid and develop. People are strange.

I get that but then why are they throwing him into qualifying events at 15? Like, let him go play college golf, work on his game.

Besides, at that wealth level, I don't think the same rules apply. I remember reading about Michael Schumacher and his ski accident. Apparently they were undecided about whether they would go skydiving in Dubai that day or skiing in Switzerland. I mean..what kind of pressure is there at that level? The pressure of not being a failure I guess..but he's not going hungry. Most people have serious existential problems to deal with.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was a fun IG post to stumble upon

Sponsor

Staff online