• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing new skis for an intermediate in Tahoe?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Sounds like a lot of gatekeeping to me. Skiing is fun and not everyone cares about being an expert so much as they care about having the best time on the mountain that they can possibly have skiing the conditions they love to ski. In addition "expert" is quite subjective when it comes to skiing as there are many different types of skiing. If you're talking about becoming an "expert" racer then sure narrow is the way to go, but what about expert freestyle, freeride, and park skiing? That same narrow and heavy ski just isn't going to be up to par with "expert" skiers who are skiing on the right tool for the right location and application (unless that expert skier is racing on-pise).

My advice is to pick a ski for the conditions you love skiing the most which often means owning multiple skis in different widths and styles but starting with a width that you can have fun on during low snow days up to 4".

I find Kipp's videos nigh on unwatchable. He's so intent on maximising his appeal to the reactionary older crowd and fluffing their egos that they alone can be expert skiers that he's almost a cartoon. Meanwhile anyone under 40 probably hasn't even heard of him or his opinion and are skiing what they damn well please.

That said I bought a "grown up" ski this year at 94mm and it's been good on the groomed and skier packed days in Tahoe.

Not to say he might know his stuff when it comes to racing or coaching but his anti wide ski schtick and his gurning gets old real fast.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
“…expert" is quite subjective when it comes to skiing as there are many different types of skiing.” And it is all the same fundamentals applied in a different way, for a different outcome.

“That same narrow and heavy ski just isn't going to be up to par with "expert" skiers who are skiing on the right tool for the right location and application (unless that expert skier is racing on-pise).” Come Buttermilk, or anyplace that top junior racers train. Watch what they do on FIS skis when free skiing.

yard_sale

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Don't buy anything wider than 85mm... I skied in Tahoe for 4 years and Tremblant this winter. I've seen so many people in Tahoe with 95+ underfoot, cruising on piste all day. If you spend 60% time inbound, don't let ego drive you. Those "freeride" or "big mountain" ski only benefits 10"+ pow days, which isn't that common in a "normal" Tahoe season. For technical terrains like bumps trees & chutes, narrower ski gives much more confidence. I'd recommend the Rossi Exp 82 or Brahama 82.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Don't buy anything wider than 85mm... I skied in Tahoe for 4 years and Tremblant this winter. I've seen so many people in Tahoe with 95+ underfoot, cruising on piste all day. If you spend 60% time inbound, don't let ego drive you. Those "freeride" or "big mountain" ski only benefits 10"+ pow days, which isn't that common in a "normal" Tahoe season. For technical terrains like bumps trees & chutes, narrower ski gives much more confidence. I'd recommend the Rossi Exp 82 or Brahama 82.

Jusy say'in though, there's been a bit of snow in Tahoe this season.

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
You stated you are a cautious skier on steeper variable snow, bumps etc...which is good....apart from skis, if you want to progress to the next level I would recommend two things:

1. Learn how to fall. Google worm turns etc, and practice controlled falling. Getting over the fear of falling is mainly knowing how and what to expect when you do fall.
2. Learn how to work on, tune and wax your own skis. 99.9% of the skiers I see at Palisades are using a fraction of their skis' full capability, but are more hindered by poor tuning/waxing and a lack of understanding of how tuning can dramatically change the feel of the ski.

Just my humble 2 cents!

Last edited:

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I'll put a word in for the Nordica Unleashed 98, at a perhaps similar level of ski skill. Less burly than the enforcer, twin tip so the tails don't hook up in the bumps (which you're looking to build some confidence in), partial metal so it's not a limp noodle and not chattery, but not 2 full sheets of titanal like the enforcer. Definitely more edge grip and stability than a soul 7 but not a dramatically burly ski. Was a great change of daily driver for me out west. @GregK may have other words of wisdom :)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don’t think the OP has been on here for awhile and hopefully he bought something in the Spring sales when they weren’t sold out. Unleashed 98 would definitely be a good option though. Too bad their Unleashed 90 wasn’t the same construction with longer length options as it would a great width option for daily driver.

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
When the snow pack down like it does out west especially when it it has more water content ( atmospheric river snow, at least it not Slurpee like you can get at lower resort on Mount Hood when I lived there ) , also after few of the bluesky days with sun melting the top layer, or you lucky and still have enough soft snow dusted every where, I drop to 80 mm under foot and ride Stokli Montero AX. I sold of my Vokl Mantra M5 and do not miss it. Mantra felted like 2x4 compared to AX especially edge to edge performance. Short turn performance is fantastic and when you want to run it open up carve some turns it joy to ski. Also love it in soft bump using them like berm on mountain bike.

The Montero AR or AX would be a great Ski at Heavenly, Northstar, Palisades/Squaw, Kirkwood, etc, I spent many winter out there when I lived in the Bay Area, now I spend more time in Southern Colorado ( Telluride, Purg, Wolf Creek and Crested Butte).

I have QST 106 188, but these day it mostly parked a large percentage of the day except the day when we were hammered with snow when I look back at all the day I skied this year.

There are some fantastic 86mm to 92mm skis if you want little more width and still give better edge to edge turning performance that will allow you to progress. One thing I like like about AX it let me go anywhere on the mountain from hard snow ( ok not east coast hard ) up to snow over the top of boots with out an issue and next day mogul snow pillows. We had couple great day at Telluride this year hard bellow and 6-8 inches would Rolls in daily, I left QST 106 in the car. I was happy to be on the AX when you broke through powder up to hard layer bellow.

Now at this width I will also go out on 87mm waisted ski the Mirus Cor which is another fun ski, but I would not be what I recommend as your primary ski, but it fun when you have do shallow groomer with your family and still being able to carve clean small arc at slow speed, and later get out into most any terrain you want.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
When the snow pack down like it does out west especially when it it has more water content ( atmospheric river snow, at least it not Slurpee like you can get at lower resort on Mount Hood when I lived there ) , also after few of the bluesky days with sun melting the top layer, or you lucky and still have enough soft snow dusted every where, I drop to 80 mm under foot and ride Stokli Montero AX. I sold of my Vokl Mantra M5 and do not miss it. Mantra felted like 2x4 compared to AX especially edge to edge performance. Short turn performance is fantastic and when you want to run it open up carve some turns it joy to ski. Also love it in soft bump using them like berm on mountain bike.

The Montero AR or AX would be a great Ski at Heavenly, Northstar, Palisades/Squaw, Kirkwood, etc, I spent many winter out there when I lived in the Bay Area, now I spend more time in Southern Colorado ( Telluride, Purg, Wolf Creek and Crested Butte).

I have QST 106 188, but these day it mostly parked a large percentage of the day except the day when we were hammered with snow when I look back at all the day I skied this year.

There are some fantastic 86mm to 92mm skis if you want little more width and still give better edge to edge turning performance that will allow you to progress. One thing I like like about AX it let me go anywhere on the mountain from hard snow ( ok not east coast hard ) up to snow over the top of boots with out an issue and next day mogul snow pillows. We had couple great day at Telluride this year hard bellow and 6-8 inches would Rolls in daily, I left QST 106 in the car. I was happy to be on the AX when you broke through powder up to hard layer bellow.

Now at this width I will also go out on 87mm waisted ski the Mirus Cor which is another fun ski, but I would not be what I recommend as your primary ski, but it fun when you have do shallow groomer with your family and still being able to carve clean small arc at slow speed, and later get out into most any terrain you want.

Size? Weight? Lengths skied?

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
I Ski a 178 cm Montero AX I wanted the shorter radius 16.5 m vs 17.5 m in the 183 cm to carve with in narrow corridors. It has plenty of support and effective edge. I am 181cm tall when I was at the doc the other day. Currently 200+ lbs aka a fluctuate bit in winter ( I have to avoid the The Nitro Stouts at Animas Brewing Company ) I also like to turn more these day then gun it in a straight line, so I do not need high top speed out my skis these days

But I also used ski Tahoe on straight skis like the Dynastar S9 205 cm ( Gave these ski to Purg Ski Patroller who never ski a long straight ski I think the ski was older then him loved the Day glow bases ) and what they used to call a mid ski ( mid width shovels and tails) , Salomon Axendo Series 196 cm 67 mm under foot in the late 90's with out an issue as well. When it was deep we would rent Powder Skis Rossi back then, you did not need them all the time.

My wife loves here Ripstick 88 mm who is an intermediate skier.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
An intermediate skier looking to become an expert should not be on a wide ski. That's how "hopefuls" screw up there skiing. (especially the Enforcers)

The narrower ski is going to be the precision ski. Getting technical is what will lead you to growth. When you improve buy a pair of wide skis (92+/-). In the mean time 84 to 89. The narrower ski will give you the feed back that tells you - "that's it".

I have noticed that the shops out West will steer intermediate skiers towards wide skis. I don't think that's a good idea.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a lot of gatekeeping to me. Skiing is fun and not everyone cares about being an expert so much as they care about having the best time on the mountain

That's one way to look at it yes. If one subscribes to this view, the type of ski doesn't matter one bit. Just take the ones that you like the graphics of the best and go have fun.

Yepow

Skier
I have noticed that the shops out West will steer intermediate skiers towards wide skis. I don't think that's a good idea.

@GregK and I were discussing this... Probably true for people who are trying to improve and get to be strong skiers. But some people take one or two trips a year. They have no intention or expectation of getting a lot better--they're just out to enjoy. And for them, something that isn't punishing, is a little wider so they can have fun a little off-piste and on, forgiving tails, forgiving everything, I think this is reasonable!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The OP hasn't been on since 2/23, any replies are not reaching the source.

Yepow

Skier
The OP hasn't been on since 2/23, any replies are not reaching the source.
actually reaching or convincing anyone of anything would be a first on the internet :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
actually reaching or convincing anyone of anything would be a first on the internet :)
Ha... getting off topic, but I think many people are familiar with this one:

1683578775176.png

But there's a follow up to that one too, that a lot of people haven't seen:

1683578852103.png

Sponsor