• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Closed Trail Skiing (northeast edition)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Under the lift, probably recognizable outfits. What’s the real deal in your view? If you are in the know or just untouchable is it a bad thing to do, realistically?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The only problem with doing that in the East is that it sets a bad example for the West.
I would NEVER ski a closed trail out West.

In the modern world, East vs West is probably too subtle a distinction. So yeah, don't do it.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only problem with doing that in the East is that it sets a bad example for the West.
I would NEVER ski a closed trail out West.

In the modern world, East vs West is probably too subtle a distinction. So yeah, don't do it.
Not convincing. Why not do it?

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Skied plenty of closed trails in the East. Never got the pass pulled. A couple warnings from patrol.

My mentality was if I could realistically injure a member of ski patrol rescuing my ass, don't do. So I usually avoided steep, rocky trails that were closed with fresh snow...the stuff you wouldn't go on unless you're trying to ruin your rock skis anyway.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You really looking for permission?

Go ahead and be one of those jackass families that brings little kids on closed trails with rocks sticking out or just under the 3 inches of powder.
Na, but are you just looking for an out?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Skied plenty of closed trails in the East. Never got the pass pulled. A couple warnings from patrol.

My mentality was if I could realistically injure a member of ski patrol rescuing my ass, don't do. So I usually avoided steep, rocky trails that were closed with fresh snow...the stuff you wouldn't go on unless you're trying to ruin your rock skis anyway.
Every year out West we have people die skiing closed trails. Happened at Crystal earlier this year. Sometimes these people know what they are doing but most times they do not. To be quite honest not only do you put yourself at risk when you do this but you also put the lives of the first responders at risk when they come to rescue you or recover the body. And yes some folks are so colossally stupid that they lead their entire family with young kids out of bounds or into closed areas. Locally when this happens we have started charging the idiots these cost of their rescue. So the real deal is do not be a selfish idiot who puts their life and the lives of others at risk. If a trail is closed at a resort there is probably a good reason. Oh and just because you think it is ok does not make it so as you never know what is waiting for you under the snow.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Were you skiing at Pico today? Just wondering because my outfit was pretty recognizable.
Haha I usually make the 3 hour drive for a couple runs under the lift before work. Now that I think about it.. I would be late for work most days.

My sisters used to love Pico.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Every year out West we have people die skiing closed trails. Happened at Crystal earlier this year. Sometimes these people know what they are doing but most times they do not. To be quite honest not only do you put yourself at risk when you do this but you also put the lives of the first responders at risk when they come to rescue you or recover the body. And yes some folks are so colossally stupid that they lead their entire family with young kids out of bounds or into closed areas. Locally when this happens we have started charging the idiots these cost of their rescue. So the real deal is do not be a selfish idiot who puts their life and the lives of others at risk. If a trail is closed at a resort there is probably a good reason. Oh and just because you think it is ok does not make it so as you never know what is waiting for you under the snow.
ummm... this is the East / West dichotomy. It's not the same.

....but then you get some jack@ss from back east who is used to ducking ropes and just doesn't understand it is different out there....

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

....but then you get some jack@ss from back east who is used to ducking ropes and just doesn't understand it is different out there....
Off topic and it’s probably not the tourists getting in big trouble in the west.

dovski

Skier

I forgot skiers our East are special, so skiers code doesn't need to be applied to them :rolleyes:. Bottom line is that if a run is closed there is probably a good reason ... so don't do it.
Off topic and it’s probably not the tourists getting in big trouble in the west.
Actually it is both. There was a case two years back where some dad on vacation took his family of seven out of bounds to ski epic POW. They got stuck there overnight and had to rescued. Avalanche risk was super high too. So not only did he risk the lives of his entire family, but he also put everyone who worked find and rescue them at risk too. Sorry this is just stupid selfish behavior. On the bright side he did get a $28,000 bill for the search and rescue as well as a lifetime ban from the resort.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I forgot skiers our East are special, so skiers code doesn't need to be applied to them :rolleyes:. Bottom line is that if a run is closed there is probably a good reason ... so don't do it.

Actually it is both. There was a case two years back where some dad on vacation took his family of seven out of bounds to ski epic POW. They got stuck there overnight and had to rescued. Avalanche risk was super high too. So not only did he risk the lives of his entire family, but he also put everyone who worked find and rescue them at risk too. Sorry this is just stupid selfish behavior. On the bright side he did get a $28,000 bill for the search and rescue as well as a lifetime ban from the resort.
Well no duh.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is more true than you know! Last season we had several deaths on Dutch Draw and Square Top - some of the most dangerous terrain you can imagine. Were these clueless tourists beating around out of their depth? No they weren’t; they were experienced, long-time locals who screwed up big time!

dovski

Skier
This is more true than you know! Last season we had several deaths on Dutch Draw and Square Top - some of the most dangerous terrain you can imagine. Were these clueless tourists beating around out of their depth? No they weren’t; they were experienced, long-time locals who screwed up big time!
unfortunately this cuts both ways

Sponsor

Staff online