• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do your toes get cold if you go for a long hike in the cold?

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Do your toes get cold if you go for a long hike in the cold?

Great question! I have no idea as I don't hike in the cold. Living in the Bay Area, it's just not that cold in the winter.
I am signing up for an Intro to Backcountry class this month - and I'll be using their rental boots - so I guess I'll find out.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
For Morton's and Raynaud's (though given I don't have cold hand issues, I doubt it's this) - how are those diagnosed? Podiatrist? Do bootfitters know how to customize a footbed for something like that, if it turns out that is the issue?

@laine, Google morton's neuroma ski boots. Also look at Reynaud's Syndrome and ski boots. You'll get the info you need.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this another opportunity for the return of the rear entry boot, better blood flow to the toes?
I think that for some, rear entry is great. I’ve had a set back in the day, for me these where one of the worst boots on the planet. Too tight, too loose, too soft, etc described these boots.

For those that swear by them, great as they work for them.

So the answer is yes there is a market, I’m just not it.

Last edited:

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
laine, your description is very similar to my situation. Here is what helped me
- Getting a little more room over the instep which helped with some numbing I was having. Thanks @markojp for getting the fit dialed in.
- Toes were still cold so I tried 2 pair of ultra thin socks. When we are cold above our feet, we add layers. So I thought it would help to add a layer to my feet as well. It helped immensely.

Good luck.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I think that for some, rear entry is great. I’ve had a set back in the day, for me these where one of the worst boots on the planet. Too tight, too loose, too soft, etc described these boots.

For those that swear by them, great as they q work for them.

So the answer is yes there is a market, I’m just not it.

There's definitely a market for these - I'm just not ready yet, though I did have some in high school. Maybe in 15-20 years....

laine, your description is very similar to my situation. Here is what helped me
- Getting a little more room over the instep which helped with some numbing I was having. Thanks @markojp for getting the fit dialed in.
- Toes were still cold so I tried 2 pair of ultra thin socks. When we are cold above our feet, we add layers. So I thought it would help to add a layer to my feet as well. It helped immensely.

Good luck.

@SkiMore - I'll go back to my bootfitter and see if there's a way to make room over the instep. It's just hard since I don't feel pressure in a particular spot. Per @Uncle-A's note - I'm going to examine my feet after I take my socks off at the end of the day to see if I can see an impression or a blood vessel or something.

Not sure I want to try two socks yet, since that will just make the boot tighter.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure I want to try two socks yet, since that will just make the boot tighter.
Maybe a pair of knee highs and a sock that is just a hair thinner? How thick are the Lenz socks or your regular socks?

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One other question, are your feet wet at the end of the day? If so you could be getting cold because of this, change socks mid day for more dryness and warmth.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
A good amount of our plumbing (blood flow) goes over the top of foot, there might be enough pressure to stop blood flow without it being uncomfortable.
This is what usually causes my cold toes - even with perfect fitting boots. For me, my usual solution to the problem: after buckling up, push-in and then pull-up on the top of the boot tongue to make sure the tongue is not too snug on the top of my foot. Usually takes a few tries before I get it just right.

Sometimes though, the fit on top of the foot is just too tight & a visit to a fitter is needed. Or, the liner is so low volume cold toes are inevitable.

Lastly: allowing snow to accumulate on the boots (especially on top of the instep & toes areas) can almost guarantee cold feet in a low volume boot.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Great question! I have no idea as I don't hike in the cold. Living in the Bay Area, it's just not that cold in the winter.
I am signing up for an Intro to Backcountry class this month - and I'll be using their rental boots - so I guess I'll find out.
So, I have Raynaud's and take seasonal medication plus use boot heaters (previously Lenz heated socks, but switched over last season). If you don't get cold year round, and your fingers are fine, Raynaud's is unlikely.

Pressure on the instep would result in numb and then cold toes. When this happened to me the numbness was more widespread than toes, but based on the degree of pressure it could vary. I tried a pair of Lange 110 XT LV ski boots and loved the close fit until I put my custom insoles in and then sat in them for 15 minutes and my foot went numb. Try wearing your ski boots inside for 15 minutes; do you go numb? If the toes do go numb, I vote pressure on the instep. If not then I am stumped!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@laine

I remember us talking about this last spring in Tahoe. I know it is not weather related in my case because it happens in temps above freezing.

I have a similar problem and I have always had it more in my left foot than the right foot. I do have a Morton's Neuroma in my right foot and it only causes me problems when skiing. I have custom filled foam liners - boot docs which are the best liners I have ever used. However, I still get the numbness in my left foot and pain in both feet. I take my boots off at lunch. I have to. This allows the blood flow to come back. However, when I go back out in the afternoon, the pain comes back quicker so my afternoon session is shorter. I have an excellent boot fitter - Bud Heishmann. At my last adjustment, he told me there is nothing more he can do for me. I feel as if on the lifts - when my foot is not in ski position, it rises up just enough to increase pressure on my instep. I wish I could offer better advice. I will follow this closely to see if you learn anything.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just a thought about your custom foot bed. It may not be the best insulation for the foot. Would a little additional insulation help with the warmth of the boot and I don't mean thicker socks maybe some insulation in the area of the toe box of your boots. Hopefully you have a little room in the toe box to add insulation or maybe not enough room in the toe box is the problem.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Standard practice for me is to take off my boots and change socks around 9:30 -10:00 on a 7:00am start.

My forefeet get cold even on 20 degree F days if I'm out all morning.
Ten minutes time to R&R boots and socks seems to take care of it though. Thin socks take up so little room in my pack. Two pair a day is not too great a luxury. I'm worth it! So are you.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spend $40 and have the boot guy blow out that tight instep.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's the next step, I think. I just wanted to hit the board up to get some ideas.

I knew my instep was too tight but waited to break in my liners before going to the boot fitter. Unfortunately it was zero and I stayed out too long over MLK and I got a bit of frostbite on the end of my big toe. Last weekend the boot man immediately agreed that the instep was too tight. They felt better after he worked on them but it wasn't cold enough to give them a good test (ok with me since the toe needs to heal).

Good news is he said the boots fit great!

Another idea is to get some aerobic exercise before getting out on the mountain. Also if it's really cold your boots might get cold in the back of the car in which case warm them up near a heat source for a few minutes at the lodge

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I knew my instep was too tight but waited to break in my liners before going to the boot fitter. Unfortunately it was zero and I stayed out too long over MLK and I got a bit of frostbite on the end of my big toe. Last weekend the boot man immediately agreed that the instep was too tight. They felt better after he worked on them but it wasn't cold enough to give them a good test (ok with me since the toe needs to heal).

Good news is he said the boots fit great!

Another idea is to get some aerobic exercise before getting out on the mountain. Also if it's really cold your boots might get cold in the back of the car in which case warm them up near a heat source for a few minutes at the lodge

I believe I've broken in the liners - I have about 35+ days on them. But I'm also small, so it takes me a while to pack things out. Also, I have a heated bootbag, so my boots are never cold when I put them on. I'm going to see the bootfitter to see what he can do as a next step.

Sponsor