• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing the 2024 Boa Boots Offerings from Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
The heel is very good on the MV, and I definately feel it contracting better with a BOA than just buckles. I have to admit, I am liking the extra room in the forefoot area, I don't have to do any punches which I will tend to have to do with most LV shells. I will add the Zipfit liner is great and I am finding I am using it in some of my other boots like the K2 BOA over the stock liners. Unless the heel os significantly better in the LV, I am really happy with the MV model.
Are you in your normal mondo size for this MV model?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This normal for you or do you believe this is a result of the sizing of this particular boot that allows you drop down a size?
I ski pretty much everything in a 25.5.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I ski pretty much everything in a 25.5.
Adding to @Philpug -:I measure as a 26.7/26.8 and ski in a 25.5. This includes Atomic Ultra Boa, Atomic 4 buckle Hawx Ultra, and my Tecnica Zero G Scout touring boot. FYI, I have narrow feet, narrow ankles, and super slender calves. The Boa provides a nice firm fit for my forefoot and booster straps for my chicken legs, and Atomic Pro liners for my Alpine boots. From my experience, the Pro liners provide an exceptional fit.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
This normal for you or do you believe this is a result of the sizing of this particular boot that allows you drop down a size?
Many strong skiers will ski smaller than their measured size. When ski racing, way back when it was 2 shells smaller and toes cut off the liners, replaced with thinnest possible fabric. Used to have a cobbler do it. Don't take that as advice.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
New boa boot arrived today.

1708360238598.png

oops, wrong forum. :)

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Many strong skiers will ski smaller than their measured size. When ski racing, way back when it was 2 shells smaller and toes cut off the liners, replaced with thinnest possible fabric. Used to have a cobbler do it. Don't take that as advice.
Some also upsize. I have a measured length of 26 but a HIP measurement of 28 almost 29. Its basically impossible for me to close many 26 boots over the instep comfortably and I could certainly never downsize to 25. I currently ski 27.5 boots and use a foam injection liner to hold things nice and snug. There is not a one size fits all method for ski boots

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Some also upsize. I have a measured length of 26 but a HIP measurement of 28 almost 29. Its basically impossible for me to close many 26 boots over the instep comfortably and I could certainly never downsize to 25. I currently ski 27.5 boots and use a foam injection liner to hold things nice and snug. There is not a one size fits all method for ski boots

Have you tried dropping the level of your bootboard?

I ask this because I wish manufacturers would make bootboard modifications easier. First, make all bootboards with a flat level surface. Please don't put any curves on a bootboard that make interfacing with the footbed difficult. Second, make sure that that the bootboard covers the entire surface of the boot sole, so that you don't end up having to grind parts of the boot shell plastic that are also effectively part of the surface that interfaces with the bottom of the liner. Make the bootboard a nice thick, flat wedge that sits comfortably and solidly in the bottom of the boot. You could even go the extra step and inscribe lines around the sides of the bootboard that serve as guides for bootboard grinding.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Have you tried dropping the level of your bootboard?

I ask this because I wish manufacturers would make bootboard modifications easier. First, make all bootboards with a flat level surface. Please don't put any curves on a bootboard that make interfacing with the footbed difficult. Second, make sure that that the bootboard covers the entire surface of the boot sole, so that you don't end up having to grind parts of the boot shell plastic that are also effectively part of the surface that interfaces with the bottom of the liner. Make the bootboard a nice thick, flat wedge that sits comfortably and solidly in the bottom of the boot. You could even go the extra step and inscribe lines around the sides of the bootboard that serve as guides for bootboard grinding.
Yeah many times. Our current k2 ones have 2mm deep dimples for easier use when grinding and our new lv shell will use the scribe lines on the side like you say. But even when doing this I usually find I just can’t get enough room. I can technically make a 26 work especially now with boa it’s a lot better but I just find it easier to start with 27 these days and instead take up the extra space in other areas rather than trying to create room.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
The Atomic Hawx Ultra Boa and the Atomic Hawx Ultra 4 buckle boots have the same sizing. My 26.5 size alpine boot was up-sized from patrol days, working long shifts, in particular during storm cycles. For the smaller size, I had to modify the toe box for a super snug, but pain-free fit.

Sponsor

Staff online