• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Considering Mantra M6 or Kendo 88 - need a little help

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Recently got some Ripsticks in a 106 and we just didn't get along. I can't put my finger on it really but they just didn't seem as precise as I typically like a ski to be. Seemed like they should have worked but alas... on we go to the next.

I'm 61 around 190-195 and 5'10" lifelong skier with instructor and some race background. I'd say I'm definitely a technically oriented guy and am pretty comfortable on most anything in most conditions at speed. I'm never not working on something in my skiing. I'm primarily a west coast skier, figure Tahoe area ish 90% of the time. I've got a set of Doberman Spitfire 72 RB in a 174 which covers the exclusive firm snow groomer days and some older Line Motherships in around a 187 and @ 111 waist that to this day are the best all mountain charger I've ever skied on. Those will never leave.

Current thoughts are either the Mantra M6 or the Kendo 88 and I'll likely go 177 but 184 isn't out of question. Sure seems like these are pretty close with the off piste nod going M6 and the on piste nod going Kendo. I get that I'm probably splitting hairs here but only have room for one more set. I think either one of these could round out my selection pretty well but would really appreciate some opinions hopefully from those that have skied both.

Thanks, really appreciate any input.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Pretty sure the Mantra M6 in the 184 would be the perfect fit for you. Every other Mantra that I have owned has been 177 in length with the M6 being the one exception. A little extra length plays to this ski's strengths. You are the guy this ski was made for.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Pretty sure the Mantra M6 in the 184 would be the perfect fit for you. Every other Mantra that I have owned has been 177 in length with the M6 being the one exception. A little extra length plays to this ski's strengths. You are the guy this ski was made for.
Thanks for the reply! You may be right. I see the 177 is actually about 178 and the 184 is actually around 183. Really small difference to be honest.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey Jeff. I'm very close to your age, size and skiing ability, and I'm on the Mantra M6 177s. I'd go with the Mantras over the Kendos given you have groomer days covered with the Spitfire. I've had the 177s over 50 mph and felt totally stable on them, but as you note, the actual size difference between the 177s and 184s makes it an easier choice to size up.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Hey Jeff. I'm very close to your age, size and skiing ability, and I'm on the Mantra M6 177s. I'd go with the Mantras over the Kendos given you have groomer days covered with the Spitfire. I've had the 177s over 50 mph and felt totally stable on them, but as you note, the actual size difference between the 177s and 184s makes it an easier choice to size up.
Thanks! I think what I like about the 177 is the geometry and probably slightly less demanding. I think if I was approaching my 42nd birthday instead of my 62nd my choice would be different too.

Appreciated!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
What terrain do you spend most of your time on? Off into the trees and open bowls? Moguls or piste?

Kendo in 177 for primarily on-piste and moguls with some tree time.

Mantra for mostly off-piste, trees, bowls, etc.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
What terrain do you spend most of your time on? Off into the trees and open bowls? Moguls or piste?

Kendo in 177 for primarily on-piste and moguls with some tree time.

Mantra for mostly off-piste, trees, bowls, etc.
Depends on snow conditions. But on a mixed day, trees, bowls, some groomers.. all of it. From my perspective it seems like the Kendo is maybe more overlap of the spitfires I have, which is why I was thinking Mantra.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Depends on snow conditions. But on a mixed day, trees, bowls, some groomers.. all of it. From my perspective it seems like the Kendo is maybe more overlap of the spitfires I have, which is why I was thinking Mantra.

Given how much wide skis are hyped these days, you would think that the Kendo would overlap with the Spitfire, but they are totally different animals. The spitfires and most front side carvers are almost automatic with the way they tip in, all mountain skis need a bit more convincing. If you were eyeballing a Deacon or Fischer Curv, yes, absolutely in the same category. The Kastle MX83 just about blends the two worlds together.

The Kendo and Brahma shine in mixed conditions from no new snow to a few inches of fresh. Versus the Mantra, they take a little less effort vs. Mantra to truly get on edge on the groomers, they slither through moguls a little better and play in light stashes and tree runs that aren't blown out.

Now if you are consistently getting new snow and soft buttery conditions are just a given, the Mantra will have a leg up on the Kendo. It will float a tad more, do better in wide open bowls, fresh tree runs and filled in moguls. It will still get a decent edge on the hard stuff, but will take a tad more effort to get up on edge to carve and will be more fatiguing as a result of that extra effort.

Truly it's about getting a ski that's good in the majority of the conditions you actually ski in, not the ones you wish you were skiing in.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
Given how much wide skis are hyped these days, you would think that the Kendo would overlap with the Spitfire, but they are totally different animals. The spitfires and most front side carvers are almost automatic with the way they tip in, all mountain skis need a bit more convincing. If you were eyeballing a Deacon or Fischer Curv, yes, absolutely in the same category. The Kastle MX83 just about blends the two worlds together.

The Kendo and Brahma shine in mixed conditions from no new snow to a few inches of fresh. Versus the Mantra, they take a little less effort vs. Mantra to truly get on edge on the groomers, they slither through moguls a little better and play in light stashes and tree runs that aren't blown out.

Now if you are consistently getting new snow and soft buttery conditions are just a given, the Mantra will have a leg up on the Kendo. It will float a tad more, do better in wide open bowls, fresh tree runs and filled in moguls. It will still get a decent edge on the hard stuff, but will take a tad more effort to get up on edge to carve and will be more fatiguing as a result of that extra effort.

Truly it's about getting a ski that's good in the majority of the conditions you actually ski in, not the ones you wish you were skiing in.
well hell. So much to consider!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Recently got some Ripsticks in a 106 and we just didn't get along. I can't put my finger on it really but they just didn't seem as precise as I typically like a ski to be. Seemed like they should have worked but alas... on we go to the next.

I'm 61 around 190-195 and 5'10" lifelong skier with instructor and some race background. I'd say I'm definitely a technically oriented guy and am pretty comfortable on most anything in most conditions at speed. I'm never not working on something in my skiing. I'm primarily a west coast skier, figure Tahoe area ish 90% of the time. I've got a set of Doberman Spitfire 72 RB in a 174 which covers the exclusive firm snow groomer days and some older Line Motherships in around a 187 and @ 111 waist that to this day are the best all mountain charger I've ever skied on. Those will never leave.

Current thoughts are either the Mantra M6 or the Kendo 88 and I'll likely go 177 but 184 isn't out of question. Sure seems like these are pretty close with the off piste nod going M6 and the on piste nod going Kendo. I get that I'm probably splitting hairs here but only have room for one more set. I think either one of these could round out my selection pretty well but would really appreciate some opinions hopefully from those that have skied both.

Thanks, really appreciate any input.

The Ripsticks are mainly an off-piste and powder ski. Fantastic tree ski and overall fun ride. But as snow firms and speeds increase on open firm slopes this is not a great ski. The M6 will absolutely be great in those conditions and is overall versatile enough to be used every day. The Kendo 88 is more planky and mostly great for groomers.

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier
The Ripsticks are mainly an off-piste and powder ski. Fantastic tree ski and overall fun ride. But as snow firms and speeds increase on open firm slopes this is not a great ski. The M6 will absolutely be great in those conditions and is overall versatile enough to be used every day. The Kendo 88 is more planky and mostly great for groomers.
From what I've read the current M6 and Kendo 88 are exactly the same except for width. I wonder what makes the Kendo more "planky".

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
From what I've read the current M6 and Kendo 88 are exactly the same except for width. I wonder what makes the Kendo more "planky".

Felt stiffer and a bit heavier underfoot although I have not been on the 2023 model.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve been on both and the new Kendo’s are not planky. They are a downsized M6 with a slightly smaller turn radius.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Both would be great skis and you really couldn’t go wrong with either.

In terms of your quiver the Mantra 6 seems the better pick. It slots right in the middle of your two existing skis. I’m sure there’s lots of days though where you‘d get good use out of the Kendo.

Maybe M6 this year, and Kendo next? ;)

TS
J

Jeff P

Booting up
Skier

In terms of your quiver the Mantra 6 seems the better pick. It slots right in the middle of your two existing skis. I’m sure there’s lots of days though where you‘d get good use out of the Kendo.

That's a good plan! And I know I'm splitting some hairs here but that's part of the adventure.

Maybe I figure out how they color coordinate with my "wardrobe" eh?

Reactions: BMC

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier

Double check my math, but the Mantra is far from the middle. It's only 9mm in width away from his current powder/charger ski and 30mm away from the carver.

The Kendo is closer to the middle, 16mm from the carver, 23mm from the Line Mothership. It's in a width that won't tire you out as fast on hard snow, is easier on the knees, etc.

The best bet is demo a Mantra, Kendo, Brahma and Brahma 82 on your most typical conditions day if that's a possibility.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Double check my math, but the Mantra is far from the middle. It's only 9mm in width away from his current powder/charger ski and 30mm away from the carver.

The Kendo is closer to the middle, 16mm from the carver, 23mm from the Line Mothership. It's in a width that won't tire you out as fast on hard snow, is easier on the knees, etc.

The best bet is demo a Mantra, Kendo, Brahma and Brahma 82 on your most typical conditions day if that's a possibility.
I was more focused on use case than maths. :)

On the maths the Mantra M6 is 15mm narrower than the powder skis and 24mm wider than the carve ones.

Kendos are 16mm wider than the carve skis, and 23mm narrower than the powder skis.

So pretty much same same on the maths, but for a western resort use I think that…by a smidge…the Mantra 6 is the better choice for the middle of the quiver.

But both would be better in the quiver! They’d both probably get vastly more use than the 72 or 111.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been on both and the new Kendo’s are not planky. They are a downsized M6 with a slightly smaller turn radius.
The 3D radius works very well on the '23 Mantras. I didn't get any planky feel either. I hadn't been on prior versions but others have said the difference is noticeable and in a good way. I liked the Kendo more than the M6 but I have a normal preference for mid 80s over mid 90s for how and where I usually ski.

Sponsor

Staff online