• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Contacts and skiing

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
I’ve skied with contacts and goggles for 20+ years. I’ve only had a single lens come out once, yet I always keep an extra pair in my boot bag. It’s the only way to go.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if you're a glasses wearer and this is just for skiing rather than vanity, how about looking into the rx inserts for ski goggles that are specifically designed for skiing goggles.
I think one of the vendors or optometrists that sells them posts here...

Same with snorkelling there are rx snorkel goggles now too.

I would suggest that before contacts. Ive also worn rgp for over a decade and overall its less healthy due to dust and irritation and micro scratches and theres this always fear that you'll blink out a contact and be really screwed.
Friends that use soft always use a fresh pack for the ski trip and carry a spare as well.

If we bring up price/costs, unless you have exceptional vision insurance plan, contacts are expensive and not a cheaper option compared to upgrading goggles/glasses/inserts.
If your optometrist is good and looking out for your health; contacts triggers a more rigid schedule of checkups/exams to check your eye health and your contacts for contact-related issues, and more than the frequency, this is also an expanded exam and billed more expensive than a regular vision exam.

Ultimately I got lasik and that is the magic solution and solved the issue at least for this period in my life. This may also be laser surgery options even for seniors, although usually bundled in as a "free" sidebenefit while getting rid of cataracts or a true medical issue; you should discuss with a real qualified optometrist/opthamologist what options are avail though.

I thought about getting an insert but read that they can fog as well.

I'm using one time use contacts which work fine and I don't have to worry about carrying a pair of glasses for when I take my goggles off in the lodge.

TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've had contacts in the past but that was over 20 years ago. My Optometrist is also a glasses wearing skier. I'll see what he thinks would help me with the best bang for the buck. I don't mind using glasses I started when I was forty (1996).
On bluebird days I have prescription sunglasses that are actually lighter than my transition lenses. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know what he recommends for me.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have worn contacts for over 50 years and for 20 years glasses also for near vision and a little bit of astigmatism the contacts don't correct.

No problem with contacts and skiing, except they get a little cloudy and need cleaning after a long day. I don't wear the glasses skiing because I have found OTG goggles are more trouble than they are worth (fogging and pulling glasses off when I remove them.) Wear prescription sunglasses when spring rolls around.

TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Contacts for me. My prescription is quite high. My glasses are made from high index plastic (read expensive :-(, and don't get used much because contacts are much more preferable to me.

I've worn rigid gas permiables (rgp) for almost 40 years. They are hard plastic, not hard glass, or the filmy-floppy plastic ones.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/hard-contact-lenses/

It sucks getting old. About 6 years ago, we went to one (dominant) eye long distance, and reading in the weaker eye. I can play sports with normal nonprescription sunglasses and still read books, phones, and trail maps. I'm told that not all people can deal with this combination.

I tried soft contacts about 15 years ago and the clarity wasn't even close. It was like using cheap sunglasses vs premium.
That said, I know of many who are happy with their soft contacts.
Contacts for me. My prescription is quite high. My glasses are made from high index plastic (read expensive :-(, and don't get used much because contacts are much more preferable to me.

I've worn rigid gas permiables (rgp) for almost 40 years. They are hard plastic, not hard glass, or the filmy-floppy plastic ones.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/hard-contact-lenses/

It sucks

I tried soft contacts about 15 years ago and the clarity wasn't even close. It was like using cheap sunglasses vs premium.
That said, I know of many who are happy with their soft contacts.

I tried Monovision years ago and they made me dizzy/loopier than usual. I'm thinking distant vision and readers of some sort.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cataract surgery was mentioned. A cataract is a cloudy lens in the eye. The surgeon will remove the cloudy lens and insert a intraocular lens into the eye. The surgeon and patient can discuss whether they want monovision...one eye near, the other eye far, or both for distance vision, or whatever the patient wants and the surgeon is willing to do. Correction for astigmatism and other conditions can be included in the intraocular lens. Bifocal intraocular lenses may be common some day. https://www.aao.org/current-insight/beginning-of-new-era-bifocal-intraocular-lenses-io

My wife's eye surgeon gave her the option of monovision and let her try sample contacts to replicate that for a half-day. She liked the result. The surgeon explained that the best they could do was about 80% correction for each distance, and glasses would be needed for fine vision. My surgeon didn't make the offer to me. She said that she only offered monovision to those who already had monovision contacts. Just as well, I like the best depth perception for skiing and other sports. I have readers all over the house, the cars, in a pocket in every ski parka, for reading. They're good quality and cheap on Amazon. I use about a half-diopter less in the reader lenses for work at a distance greater than reading...computer, work & ski tune bench, etc.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another option for those with Presbyopia along with the 'usual' vision correction (for short or long sight, astigmatism) is Scleral Multifocal contact lenses.

These are RGP lenses, but a much larger diameter than the regular RGP 'corneal' contact lens. They sit on the sclera ('whites' ) of the eye and don't touch the cornea... and thus don't move about like corneal RGP lenses, and would be pretty much impossible to 'fall out' by blinking or any other reason (actually have to use a suction plunger to remove the lens).
Their larger diameter (and sititng on the less sensitive whites of your eyes) mean they are far, fra easier to adapt to than regular RGP lenses - I could never get used to corneal RGP lenses years ago and used Soft lenses for many years... then PRK laser correction, then progressive glasses, and then tried the Scleral lenses - first a mono vision setup, and now much, much happier with a multifocal pair.

Pros
  • Excellent vision. RGP is better than Soft anyway, but the Scleral lenses also do not float around every time you blink. Also like regular corneal lenses, they correct astigmatism by their rigid nature.
  • Very comfortable. I was sceptical, having never been able to get used to the small corneal RGP lens... but these due to their large diameter are sized so the edge sits under your eyelid, and so very quickly you become unaware of them. They are rigid and also helpful for dry eye, as they do not themselves absorb any moisture... and there's a gap between lens and your cornea which is filled with slaine solution when you put them in that keeps your cornea moist and protected all day.
  • Can correct for presbyopia - so you can read books etc, look at computer screens, TV and distance. Monovision is one way, but a bit old fashioned - one eye is deliberately corrected to be short sighted and takes care of reading duties. However, this leaves the intermediate/medium distance a bit stuck in no-mans land, so desktop screens may not be so clear... and depth perception may be a bit compromised. Multifocal lenses on the other hand are more like porgressive contacts and allow both eyes to cover a wider range - I've tried both and the for me the multifocal is far better. From reading to computer desktop screen distance to sport - no issues.
  • All the usual contact lens pros - no fogging, no frames in your vision, no smudges or worry about rain, that dent in your nose etc etc ;-)
  • The correction for Presbyopia can be altered as the years go by when you replace the lense and the presbyopia naturally gets worse ;-( . Lasik mutifocal correction is obviously only going to be ok for a few years, and then probably need reading glasses again.
Cons
  • Not cheap
  • Initial fitting can take many hours to ensure sitting correctly, not too tight etc on the sclera.
  • Hiygiene & infections... daily disposable is great for avoiding poor hyginene issues as you'll be using a new sterile lens every day... Scleral will need proper disinfection (hydrogen peroxide based is best) and also care to use the correct fluids when inserting the lens - no preservatives at all.
  • Handling/Insertion/Removal - more fiddly than Soft or corneal RGP, both to put in and take out... but you quickly get accustomed to it, and once they're in they aren't going anywhere.... you really, really are not going to have to worry about them falling out (you'll realise this for sure when you go to take them out)

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've worn glasses since age 12, but have always worn contacts for sports. This became especially important when I ended up going to progressive lenses about 12 years ago (I'm 58). My contacts remain distance-vision only, and I wear them for skiing, golf, cycling, and refereeing ice hockey. It's really worked well for me.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Contact lens technology has improved a lot, especially in the whole dry eye area, so as long as you're not squeamish about putting them in and taking them out, there is probably a lens for you. I actually had problems with one brand last year that were too good at moisture retention and super slippery.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I used contacts for a while to improve my vision for racing. They didn't work well for me as I race DH and get into a tuck a lot. The position of my head and need to look up with my eyes caused the contacts to shift. I have astigmatism and don't know if that contributed to my difficulties. Apart from tucking, they worked great. My vision isn't that bad so I now race with no corrective lenses.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Contacts definitely for skiing. There was a 6 week period of time decades back when my eyes took exception to "sleep in" contacts and I had to use glasses to ski and it was terrible. I have astigmatism and have had no issues in a tuck, but I'm not going 60 mph either, I'm tucking on flats.. I don't need to do anything except stay on the trail.

I use reading glasses on a leash around my neck to read. Which is why I don't read trail maps and don't like cameras without viewfinders.

I never ski with sunglasses, though. My eyes would get dry. I just have goggles with darker lenses for the few days it's super sunny here.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re. monovision: my eye doc wanted me to try it out a full monovision (1 distance/1 reading) contact set when I got old(er) and couldn't see close. No go. But... a modified monovision works great. One lens is distance; the other is set to focus at about 24-30". I have to work a little to read a map or book, but it's certainly doable. And distance contact in my dominant eye works fine. For me, it's been a great solution.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm contemplating contacts for distance vision to get rid of my fogging problem with my glasses. I guess I could upgrade my goggles and fix the matter that way too.
Any words of wisdom for me? I currently wear transition glasses that go coal black even during night skiing. So there is a contrast problem during bad visibility days.
I'm thinking contacts and my Vuarnet glasses may be a big improvement.
This contributed to a nasty fall Monday. I'm ok but my body is paying for my blunder. No broken bones but at age 64 I don"t bounce like I used too. I also discovered my groomer ski does not like the crud and soft blown in snow. But that is a totally different subject!
Like @P-Ute, I switched to contacts for skiing and biking just a month ago. Life long glasses wearer. 58yo. Previously unable to make contacts work. This time I was HIGHLY motivated and the technology is better. (The masking thing was a complete show stopper. Tried everything including the inserts. Nothing was working. I'm like a human idifier.) Distance only, one time use. The expense is worth it, especially considering that I'm not wearing then every day. Now I can choose ANY eyewear or none. Transformative. Do it.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another option for those with Presbyopia along with the 'usual' vision correction (for short or long sight, astigmatism) is Scleral Multifocal contact lenses.
I used contacts for a while to improve my vision for racing. They didn't work well for me as I race DH and get into a tuck a lot. The position of my head and need to look up with my eyes caused the contacts to shift. I have astigmatism and don't know if that contributed to my difficulties. Apart from tucking, they worked great. My vision isn't that bad so I now race with no corrective lenses.

I used wear toric lenses, the most common soft lenses for astigmatism, and had the same problem since those lenses are weighted and tend to shift a lot. I got fitted for scleral lenses (mono) a few months ago and have been wearing them this season with no issues. They don't move and comfort is good. The only drawback is that they are not cheap and inserting them takes getting used to.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Been skiing and racing with contacts for over 38 years. Like Doug, speed events are my jam and I also have astigmatism. The toric soft lenses have been a game changer here, and they work really well when in a tuck.

I use either goggles or wrap-around sunshields when I ski. Note that the fit of these vis-a-vis your face is key. Some can create air currents that will try and lift the lenses from your eyes.

I carry eyedrops with me in case my eyes dry out, but over time I've learned to make it work. The drops are more of a placebo these days than anything else, save for spring allergy season.

Note that I won't use Vuarnets because the lenses are made of actual glass. I've seen Vuarnet lenses shatter with unhappy consequences at summer ski camps. Not a big deal with hiking or everyday life, but when speed and gravity are mixed in I'll take a polycarbonate lens any day. Fun fact: the sunglasses I usually wear for cycling and skiing are 3M safety shields that have higher impact resistance than most of the expensive sunglasses/shields on the market. And if they get scratched or trashed? Cheap to replace.

Last edited:
TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Re. monovision: my eye doc wanted me to try it out a full monovision (1 distance/1 reading) contact set when I got old(er) and couldn't see close. No go. But... a modified monovision works great. One lens is distance; the other is set to focus at about 24-30". I have to work a little to read a map or book, but it's certainly doable. And distance contact in my dominant eye works fine. For me, it's been a great solution.
Initially I'll go with just a distance vision correction. The eye Doctor has ordered a trial pack of lenses for me to use. Although I have worn soft contacts previously I haven't had them prescribed through his clinic so they are scheduling a fitting. Hopefully this will happen before ski season is over.
I used to work as a airline flight engineer and the FAA prohibits monovision so I used single vision at work.

TS
Slemers

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Been skiing and racing with contacts for over 38 years. Like Doug, speed events are my jam and I also have astigmatism. The toric soft lenses have been a game changer here, and they work really well when in a tuck.

I use either goggles or wrap-around sunshields when I ski. Note that the fit of these vis-a-vis your face is key. Some can create air currents that will try and lift the lenses from your eyes.

I carry eyedrops with me in case my eyes dry out, but over time I've learned to make it work. The drops are more of a placebo these days than anything else, save for spring allergy season.

Note that I won't use Vuarnets because the lenses are made of actual glass. I've seen Vuarnet lenses shatter with unhappy consequences at summer ski camps. Not a big deal with hiking or everyday life, but when speed and gravity are mixed in I'll take a polycarbonate lens any day. Fun fact: the sunglasses I usually wear for cycling and skiing are 3M safety shields that have higher impact resistance than most of the expensive sunglasses/shields on the market. And if they get scratched or trashed? Cheap to replace.
Thanks for the heads up on the Vuarnet glass lenses, I hadn't considered that all. I've also skied with Serengetti glass lenses in the past I think. 3M safety shields could be a great option for me once I get back into contacts.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Always been afraid of committing to contact lenses or eye surgery. Note my vision is good enough that I've never been required to wear eyeglasses to receive a driver's license. However despite my left/right eye distortions otherwise not changing over years, my double vision that is corrected with PRISM eyeglasses has become worse to the point wearing eyeglasses is now mandatory.

During this pandemic season I've also had continual issues with fogging eyeglasses underneath goggles that I've unsuccessfully attempted to mitigate with a list of actions. One needs to understand there are weather conditions like ice riming cloud fog when any goggles, eyeglasses, or sunglasses will quickly become coated. However the vast majority of the time at least where I ski that is not the situation. Before the pandemic in most weather, not wearing masks or common chin head gear, I could wear eyeglasses under goggles and not have fogging issues. This season have been skiing down sans mask that goes back up for lift mazes where I invariably endure fogged vision haha. So this person will be content as soon as the pandemic wanes and we are allowed to ski without masks that am hoping will be next season 21/22.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Always been afraid of committing to contact lenses or eye surgery. Note my vision is good enough that I've never been required to wear eyeglasses to receive a driver's license. However despite my left/right eye distortions otherwise not changing over years, my double vision that is corrected with PRISM eyeglasses has become worse to the point wearing eyeglasses is now mandatory.

I tried skiing with glasses and goggles over them once and it was a non-starter for me. The main thing for me as a racer is minimizing injury possibilities, and having corrective glasses that have almost zero give at the nosepiece seems to be a guaranteed broken nose. The OTG goggles would help lever the glasses into the bridge of the nose and... ouch! Not fun, and I'm not trying to have rhinoplasty in my future.

To each his or her own, of course, but contacts have worked for me. And given snow has subtle details that matter quite a bit in terms of on-the-fly risk assessment, the clearer my vision while skiing the better. Contacts work for me and have for a very long time.

However, given you need the PRISM setup to avoid double vision it may be that contact lenses wouldn't be able to achieve the desired results. It may be worth a try but I'm not an expert on this - see if your ophthalmologist can give guidance.

Sponsor

Staff online