• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crafted to Ski More: Fischer Announces Newly Designed Ranger Series

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied my new 188 Fischer 115FRs in our 9" of snow today. Wow!! What a fantastic ski. Amazing how you can pivot that ski in steep, narrow, moguled, chutes with a lot of nice fresh snow on it!
Following on this post. It is interesting that Blister found the 115 to be a "bit unwieldy in tight terrain". I don't get that impression and I am not a big guy 6' 170. Maybe there where changes made to the ski from 2018 to 2022?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Following on this post. It is interesting that Blister found the 115 to be a "bit unwieldy in tight terrain". I don't get that impression and I am not a big guy 6' 170. Maybe there where changes made to the ski from 2018 to 2022?

I have the 2020 115 FR in 188cm and I certainly wouldn't characterize the ski as "unwieldy". Once again, have we seen any of the Blister reviewers actually ski? All I've ever seen is still shots which can easily be staged and/or curated to make the skiing "look good". We have no idea what we're dealing with when it comes to most ski reviewers.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Following on this post. It is interesting that Blister found the 115 to be a "bit unwieldy in tight terrain". I don't get that impression and I am not a big guy 6' 170. Maybe there were changes made to the ski from 2018 to 2022?

Definitely changes to that ski, though I'm a bit foggy on the exact year. The OG version was just called the Ranger 115. When they attached the "FR" suffix Fischer said it was softened 10% (and some felt maybe a bit more).

Good change IMO. My OGs were on the stiff side for a pow ski. My current Mindbender 108s plane up better in soft snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most skis that width have more rocker, more taper and softer tips/tails than the Ranger 115FR.
So in comparison to the skis you’re probably used to, it might be much easier to pivot but compared to some other wide options, it’s not quite as “easy” in tight spots.

The Ranger 115FR gives up a bit of forgiveness in tight terrain for much better carving ability and edge hold vs some other wide skis. You’ll often hear “wide carvers” to describe the Fisher FR range.

The new Ranger line gets more tapered, deeper rocker lines and softer tip/tails as you go wider so the new Ranger 116 should be easier in tight spots now but at the sacrifice of groomer performance.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blister posted a Flash Review of the new 102. Sounds like a good ski but very different from the 102FR. I am very, very, happy I bought this years version as it is much more in line with what I am looking for in an everyday all mountain ski.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
seems they took everything I liked about the current 102 FR, and removed it, so.. new 102FR is as meeeeeeeeeeh a ski as 94FR always was. :(

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The question is when they go on deep discount, if any in the length you want are available, do you stockpile.........?
not that easy since entire europe seems to be sold out.

I did manage to get a single pair of 191s, I sold my blue 184 and 191s to get pink ones, but in two seasons, only been able to score that pair.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ so true !

FYI Ski Essentials has Pink 191 in stock for $480 ( looks to be 6 available still ). Also some 163 and 156.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
There has never been a ski I "stockpiled" that I skied a year or two later and was thankful I did. Enjoy the moment and start looking for your next ex favorite ski.

To be honest this is the first ski were the thought crossed my mind....... But the good thing is there is always the next ski you really like!

But it is so darn versatile with a 1:3 edge bevel. Take today for instance. High speed groomers arcing big and medium carved turns. Then to peak 6 to run the bowl and the face. Then to the T-Bar and Independence to run the Tail and Horseshoe. Completely unflappable on everything. The true definition of an all mountain ski!

Last edited:

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would highly recommend that you actually ski the new Ranger 102 before making a judgment. I was very concerned that Fischer would "ruin" a good run on a very good ski. The new 102 is a worthy replacement, I find that I much prefer all the new Rangers to the skis that they replace.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would highly recommend that you actually ski the new Ranger 102 before making a judgment. I was very concerned that Fischer would "ruin" a good run on a very good ski. The new 102 is a worthy replacement, I find that I much prefer all the new Rangers to the skis that they replace.
I am sorry, but did you read many of the previous posts from the people who condemned the ski before even skiing it? Rational level headed thinking has no place in this discussion. ;)

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never said it was a bad ski. Very likely a great ski, but a different ski than the current version. In fact all the descriptions of the new 102 makes me think it sounds a lot like a slightly wider version of the previous iteration of the JSkis Masterblaster (very similar construction). The last version of the Masterblaster was a great ski, I had a pair. I simply prefer a firmer ski.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will ski the new ranger for demo when I get a chance , but I'm very sceptical. at 6'3 and 240lbs the current 102 FR was one of few playfull, yet stiff enough to be carved on the frontside as well, and even allowing a more forward mount without feeling to week in front of binding/shovel. both 184/191 models were scaled well and brought something.

Every enforcer model will let me down on frontside (good for bumps/tress)pretty much beeing to soft/unsupportive for frontside, every j ski I tried as well.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There has never been a ski I "stockpiled" that I skied a year or two later and was thankful I did. Enjoy the moment and start looking for your next ex favorite ski.

So many good skis out there that it is indeed almost impossible to justify stockpiling any.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Generally agree.

OUTLIER: Fischer Motive 95.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
A review of the revamped Ranger 102. Translation - a dumbing down of a great ski to appeal to the masses. Smart from a sales point of view, tragic to those of us that love the 102FR.

Sponsor

Staff online