• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cutting Guide for Ski Poles?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
bait, bait, and more bait

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like straps, attached properly, as they give a bit more to push against while poling on the flats. I also tend to grip the pole very loosely with just my thumb, index, and middle finger. With good breakaway straps I don't worry about dropping my poles until they need to come off.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Haven't used straps while skiing in years. Skinning though, yes. Boot packing, no.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
A buddy of mine swears by these:

View attachment 180192

Skinning, hand can easily move down on uphill pole after kick turn.

Sounds like OP knows a specific desired length, so just cut it to that.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that OP has "gone there" LOL :beercheer: What about terrain where you cannot climb back up or it would take over an hour to lift and side country back to if you could get back there before the lifts and poss inbound snowcats close, or waist to chest deep, or you just don't have the energy to repeat that level of run? In other words, you lose the poles... they are most likely gone...

No Judgement, simply Straps or no Straps and if straps, how would you wear them? :popcorn:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that OP has "gone there" LOL :beercheer: What about terrain where you cannot climb back up or it would take over an hour to lift and side country back to if you could get back there before the lifts and poss inbound snowcats close, or waist to chest deep, or you just don't have the energy to repeat that level of run? In other words, you lose the poles... they are most likely gone...

No Judgement, simply Straps or no Straps and if straps, how would you wear them? :popcorn:
In that case poles or no poles is a relatively peripheral issue. It's not like they're snowshoes you can strap on and magically get yourself out of trouble, cutting the required effort by 2/3.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In that case poles or no poles is a relatively peripheral issue. It's not like they're snowshoes you can strap on and magically get yourself out of trouble, cutting the required effort by 2/3.
True :beercheer: ... I think?... That is until you get to a 50 yrd + traverse near the bottom that leads back to civilization where your buddies convert to "ditching" mode bec it's hard to keep up w/ them without poles as you make your way back to retrieve them. (Been there, didn't attach to it and took my time! Many times East coast lungs were more the issue! LOL) Not sure I'm quite on point on that one? Again, just curious as to the options available.... :huh:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online