• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cutting Guide for Ski Poles?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The easiest tip in skiing - your poles are too long. You don't even need to see the person ski and you'll be right 80% of the time. A t least 5% of the rest is jib monkeys with poles too short for functionality.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm quite particular about having things perfect so would love to ensure that when I cut down my poles I can get them almost perfectly 90 degrees.

I'm wondering if anyone makes a cutting guide or something similar for ski poles?

I know Park Tools makes them for bike components (steer tubes and handle bars) but all the info I can find suggests that minium clamping diameter is 22mm (the size of bike handlebars at the grips) and I don't have a set to try.

Wondering if there's anything ski specific for 16mm jobs.
Real nordic shops do this all day long. Often enough it's with very expensive poles that they can't afford to trash. Call and ask if they have tips.
Screenshot_20221008-135457.png

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about long poles, long grips (e.g. Cody Townsend). Poles too long? Move your hands down. I may try it this season. I’m already not using straps.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about long poles, long grips (e.g. Cody Townsend). Poles too long? Move your hands down. I may try it this season. I’m already not using straps.

A buddy of mine swears by these:

shopping.png

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, I have done that on my Royal Shaft cf poles, and it has been just fine. The metal tip had come out of both poles and I had lost one of the baskets. I got some Goode tips and baskets, and figured that while I had the old ones off I might as well adjust the length while I was at it. That was about 6-7 years ago. That said, the thickness of the pole doesn't vary any.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was hiking with friends yesterday. One friend using poles but not the straps. "It takes a lot of hand and wrist strength when I put weight into the pole in a situation like this." [illustrates] Well duh.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was hiking with friends yesterday. One friend using poles but not the straps. "It takes a lot of hand and wrist strength when I put weight into the pole in a situation like this." [illustrates] Well duh.
Yeah, definitely straps for hiking and nordic. But for alpine where pole plants are mostly cosmetic?

I stops using straps entirely for safety: I've dug out multiple skiers inbounds, pinned under the snow by their own equipment. Not an issue in most places, but here drowning in snow is a real hazzard. And it's not just slides and tree wells that are the problem.

Do I ever drop or loose a pole? No. I've told this story before, but a few seasons back I traversed onto the lower section of Chicken Ridge at Baker, a 55 deg slope skier's left of Pan Face. Just as I was contemplating my first turn, another skier zoomed in on my traverse line. I rushed the turn to get out of his way, my tails washed out, and started sliding down butt first. The resulting tomahawk over the next 100 feet was more embarrassing than anything else. I got up and spent the next five minutes clearing snow out of my pants. Miffed, I skied down and got on Chair 1. Halfway up the lift I look down and notice I'm still holding both poles.

So try it for a couple days. It will feel weird at first, but after a while it becomes 2nd nature.

Sponsor