• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cycling Picture Thread

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Giving into age I picked up one of these from my LBS this afternoon. Rode it a bit and found electric power does make a difference. Still keeping the "old" human powered Felt carbon fibre as a back up.

1690424537797.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Giving into age I picked up one of these from my LBS this afternoon. Rode it a bit and found electric power does make a difference. Still keeping the "old" human powered Felt carbon fibre as a back up.

View attachment 208031
That's a sweet ride!

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, a flatbar. It's gonna take awhile to get used to lack of drops, hoods, and tops for different hand positions. The luggage rack is harder to accept but if it bothers me too much I can take it off. As it used to rain in Western Washington I've used fenders for a long time, which is the reason for the fenders not an excuse. The biggest difference/adjustment to be made is to the weight. After years on light weight road bikes i sure feel the difference.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fools Gold 50, Dahlonega, GA, September 8, 2012. 48th overall and 5th in the master's class. According to the photos it rained, but I have no recollection of that.

Fools Gold 2012b.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had a rigid fork in 2006 as well. Must've gotten soft in the intervening years. Now I even have gears.
I have an old Soma Juice steel 29er with a White Bros carbon fiber fork. Obviously, there is plenty of terrain it isn't suited to, but it is absolutely the sweetest riding bike I've ever been on of any kind. Lately been letting my son ride it to school. Not sure whether I will get it back or not . . .

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been wanting to take my road bike to SLC for a few years, and finally managed it. My daughter and I went on a few rides:
IMG_4138.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

The first ride was Parley’s Trail from Sugarhouse to the Jordan River Trail; north to downtown; a lunch stop across from Pioneer Park; then through downtown SLC on 300 South, eventually climbing up to the “U” and back south to Sugarhouse. This was more urban than the rides I’ve been doing in the past 15 years, with way too many stop signs, construction zones, etc., but I enjoyed it. It’s so fun to explore a city by bike. We made a brief stop at the International Peace Gardens, and I got to see parts of the city I would’t notice if traveling by car (including the Specialized shop :) ).

IMG_4156.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

The next two rides were up City Creek Canyon, which I loved. No cars, plenty (but not too many) friendly people and dogs. The first time we got a late start so didn’t get to the end of the road. We debated doing it again, versus the ride out to SaltAir, that my daughter wanted to show me. We opted for climbing. I hope to do the SaltAir ride the next time I’m out there.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski, you make me homesick! I've ridden those roads so many times over my 50+ years and they were most therapeutic when I was guiding my mom through the end of her life from 2020 to 2022. Those views are seared into my brain.

You should try Emigration and East Canyons when you're next there. Emigration is one of the most ridden Strava segments in the world and it's a rite-of-passage road ride for SLC cyclists. East Canyon is the harder "tiger tail" off of Emigration Canyon but the views from the top are worth the work to get there.

This is from November 2021 on a blustery and overcast day, taken from Big Mountain Summit at the top of East Canyon:

50592134681_228c602de1_h.jpg

Set aside the time and eat your Wheaties - it's not subtle - but it's a really fun ride!

Sponsor