• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do not loose your Mobile device on the hill again

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Facebook is always watching and listening, today I got this ad. Seems like a decent and useful product:

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 10.52.18 AM.png

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My son got me something like that after growing tired of watching me wave phone around on slopes trying to take photos.
I swear there are times when I just think about something and I'll see an add or article pushed towards me shortly afterwards on the internet.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I bought one of those (under $10 on Amazon) because a friend was raving about it. Mine has a neck strap instead of a clip; the clip should work better. With the neck strap, cons: With progressive lenses, picking up the phone and trying to read what's there was a challenge. The lanyard is designed so that the phone sits at an appropriate spot on (my) one's chest, but I had to peer over or under my glasses to read it. (I can read better without my glasses because I'm very nearsighted.) So for me, still impractical for using phone without taking off gloves, and perhaps even helmet to use it readily. Lesson learned: quit trying to use the phone on the hill.

Or maybe I'll put a carabiner on mine instead of hanging it around my neck!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never could understand why manufacturers couldn't put a lanyard clip on cell phones. Oh yeah, because if you lose it, you have to buy a new one. :rolleyes:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That shiny spot is wear on the thread, so I just replaced it. Wouldn't have noticed without taking the photo.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
That is an easy solution but can be done much lighter, less bulky. I only carried a smartphone skiing for a couple seasons a few years ago as have too much stuff in pockets. What I did was use a tiny drill to make a couple holes in my motoGx SIMM compartment covering that then tied 10 pound monofilament fishing line through into a small loop any lanyard could attach to.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Is it just me? I don't grip my phone too tightly. So it's always loose...ogsmile

Joking aside, I just don't take my phone out if there's any risk of dropping it to places I can't get to. (between the cushions on my couch doesn't count)

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
One day riding the old Solar Coaster lift at Blackcomb...a snowboarder was face-down skidding downhill desperately trying to reach his cell phone sliding down just a bit faster than he was.

There are many different lanyards available. Pick the one that works best for you.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Facebook is always watching and listening, today I got this ad. Seems like a decent and useful product:

View attachment 153178

I have one of these and plan to use it tomorrow. It seems to hold the phone pretty but the test will be how it holds onto the jacket. I don't have a loop to put the clip around.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought one of those (under $10 on Amazon) because a friend was raving about it. Mine has a neck strap instead of a clip; the clip should work better. With the neck strap, cons: With progressive lenses, picking up the phone and trying to read what's there was a challenge. The lanyard is designed so that the phone sits at an appropriate spot on (my) one's chest, but I had to peer over or under my glasses to read it. (I can read better without my glasses because I'm very nearsighted.) So for me, still impractical for using phone without taking off gloves, and perhaps even helmet to use it readily. Lesson learned: quit trying to use the phone on the hill.

Or maybe I'll put a carabiner on mine instead of hanging it around my neck!
be safe, if it doesn't have a break away, then I'd strongly consider the carabiner.

Not a big risk to hang oneself but better safe than sorry. (well, until it happens)

years ago working a project at Goddard, one QA person (who was part of safety) would go around and cut ones lanyard if it didn't have a breakaway.

Last edited:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got an Apple watch so I can leave my phone in my pocket or backpack. It is easy to answer calls, read email and texts on the watch. It has a good timer/stopwatch app that I use to measure pulse and respiration rates of patients.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good point! We are markedly short of buttonholes this decade!
Belt loop? Or, if bibs, suspenders?
Or the other glove ogwink:roflmao:

I keep my phone in my upper chest zipper pocket so none of those options work. The Koala comes with two connectors, one of which is a clamp with a locking lever. It's surprisingly strong so what I did was clamp it to some loose material in the pocket and then did a few "drop tests" at home. The clamp didn't budge so I feel pretty safe with it.

I used the holder today and I found it to work really well. It's nice peace of mind when using the phone on the lift.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always try to turn off my phone while skiing. If you expected call/text/email is so important, best to wait in the lodge for it.

I applaud this, and mostly try to emulate it, but about half the days I"m on the hill I"m answering occasional business texts or emails.

This lets me ski a LOT, while earning a pretty good living. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online