• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do Unkind Reviews of Skis Still Exist in the General Media?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are cases like I explained earlier in this thread, where a ski is reviewed based on "who is it for", even if the reviewer is not a fan of that particular ski for their own use.

There are also cases where a ski is tested but not reviewed because its difficult to figure out.
I know I skied a few skis that I just didn't get a handle on and didn't know what to say
I was thinking more of the magazines than Pugski.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Provided they are tuned, I’ve only been on one truly bad ski and that was a long time ago. It was a Graves, heavy and without any life - it was like “numbness”, no feedback.
I once read a review in the seventies that said “ this ski is to a ski what a hockey stick is to a golf club” I don’t remember the ski but I never forgot that analogy.
As devices, skis aren’t complicated and truly bad skis are rare yet truly great skis don’t grow on trees either.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking more of the magazines
The magazine reviews of late have been reading like well placed ads written by the manufacturers ... well I guess that makes sence considering that the magazines are pay to play in that they will not review a ski without the brand paying to get the ski in the test.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I try to make it clear that I have a pretty strong preference for skis with ti in them, and I do not like skis that have that weird carbon-y sound. I don't mind some tip flap, though, at least on an all-mountain ski. That being said, I got on a ski yesterday that has ti in it, and still got bucked around which wears me out. It did finish turns strongly, and was really easy to ski, so a person who does not have arthritis in her knees and two torn meniscus might love the livelier feel of those skis. I skied that ski right after being on 3 skis that were really delightful--quiet, damp, playful, and very intuitive to ski. That being said, it still took me a thousand vert to warm up to them. Once I did, I was really tempted to just ski them the rest of the day :ogbiggrin:
Yes, this really seems to be true for me also - including disliking the carbon-y feel and sound; and skis that get "bucked"/tossed around that like happy feet, and tire me out.

I, also, tend to like (often) heavier, "quiet, damp, intuitive" and strong on edge skis, and some that are "playful" in addition.

Lots of people here have been saying skis are just getting better and better - no bad skis anymore, for the most part.

There are to me lots of complicating things in skis and ski reviews these days, in all that diversity of skis, including this year.
Are they really getting better?

Some of the very best still, in my experience, are some pretty old classics - damper, heavier skis that are "quiet, damp and intuitive" -
and strong on edge. In their place are the lighter weight and "lighter swing weight" skis
(many of them "carbon-y" and relatively "bucked" about).

James

Out There
Instructor
The who’s it for is pretty important.
And how you ski.
“Playful” descriptions, especially coupled with “progressive” mount are huge red flags for me disliking it. Playful has lots of meanings, but it comes often to mean, skis in a centered upright stance, slashes, wheelies, and butters a lot.

I had the Menace 98 twin tip, skied it for 8 or 9 spring days. For some, it’s probably just great.
I felt it basically kept saying, “go aft young man”. Really, it could care less if you tried to enter a turn at high edge angle forward. Just didn’t respond.
I called it a brain dead golden retriever. But hey, goldens can be fun. And playful.

I have heard from a Rossi rep that the new Forza carving line will be differentiated in models by how much edge angle you ski with. Which I think is quite smart.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of the very best still, in my experience, are some pretty old classics - damper, heavier skis that are "quiet, damp and intuitive" -
and strong on edge.
Sweet mother of Pearl, ain’t that the truth. One of my top three skis of all time is the Blossom AM77/Whiteout/Hart Striker/etc. That build is decades old and fantastic to this day. New isn’t always better. When is the last time legit SL skis changed?

Last edited:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, I haven't read all the posts but my buddy demoed about 10 skis at Mammoth Mtn a few years back. He had 1 pair of 78 width skis so I suggested maybe a mid 90 ski too.

I cant recall all the skis but I suggested starting with 90-92 type skis first. By the way, he's an advanced 6'5" 220 skier.

He liked about 3 of them but wasnt sure. The very last ski was the Volkl Mantra (I think 100 width). He knew within 15 minutes that these were the skis for him.

Bottom line, he had no idea what skis were best for him until he demoed about 10 pairs of them until he had the biggest smile on his face

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the concern here is misplaced a bit especially when there threads like the "Never ending ...." ones have completey biased opinions many times validating their own purchases or the ones that recommended the same ski or brand in every instance.

Yes, people here are biased about their own skis. Not sure how that addresses the OP’s question about reviews in the general media. It’s all pay to play, and it’s obvious everywhere. Which is why the topic was brought up.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
At gigiski.com, we have some not-very-positive reviews online:

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember demoing the Liberty V76. You had to throw it on edge for each turn. Transitions were scary. But, it was clearly a horrible factory tune I was stuck on for a day. Had the snow been firm everywhere, I would’ve had to take the time to switch.

James

Out There
Instructor
When is the last time legit SL skis changed?
Well Fischer put a hole in the tip…

It’s the only thing people want to know about, why the hole? I’ve had to make up some crazy answers, from being greener by saving material, to haning on a wall.
If you talk about the real reason, people become a glazed donut, do I’m just helping humanity.

The latest, developed with a 9 yr old, the hole is for hanging the skis from the straps to pull the bubble down. That’s so when you’re trapped on the lift, and have to spend the night in there, patrol knows you’re in there.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
At gigiski.com, we have some not-very-positive reviews online:

Reading those reviews makes me appreciate the measured, thoughtful tone of SkiTalk and Ski Essentials even more. YMMV, clearly.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reviewers in the industry have needed to find ways to evaluate skis in meaningful ways without offending the company folk who supply them the skis on the condition they like the results. It's just the way it is.

That said, some reviewers have found ways to do this in constructive ways that work pretty well, for the brands, reviewers and often the public.

In my experience, there are at least "meh" skis, to almost anyone in the ski shop, and then there are standout skis of the year, and perennially, for the different categories of skiers. And these too are known pretty quickly by almost everyone in the shop also, by word of mouth (not from anyone's ski reviews, pretty much).

The longest Salomon Blank, for example, was pointed out to me as a standout before I ever had a chance to lay eyes on it.
(Lots of examples come to mind, both meh and standout. )
This attitude of not offending manufacturers will lead to consumers, like me, not trusting any ski reviews, which btw, was one factor in the demise of ski magazines.

Sponsor