• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you do jumps?

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I spent a week at Targhee last week, and as I skied around I realized that I really am not all that comfortable doing jumps any more (of any size, not just the terrain park size). Curious about how many people do jumps, and, if you've stopped, when you did. I think I worked my way out of doing them a few years ago when a friend did a jump at Jackson Hole and blew out his knee. Although I still like the feel of getting some air, the risk/reward just isn't there for me any more.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Used to do jumps quite a lot, but I crushed my heel (surgery and two weeks in the hospital) on a hard landing around 20 years ago. Since then I only get air at the smaller jumps in the park or off piste in soft landings.
I probably would have jumped a little bit more if it wasn't for the heel, but age would probably have restricted it anyway.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I catch air just about every run I take, but stopped hitting the big man-made kickers a few years ago. Never really got into park that much, but I am amazed by what they do.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Through my 20s, anything everything with a decent landing zone, smaller cliffs. 30s-40 all but the biggest tabletops in big kid parks. These days at 50+ only the small to medium ones. Haven't "floated" a helicopter since age 30. Tried a couple really quick low ones.. Not nearly as fun.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
When I started skiing in my teens, that's all me and my friends did. Skiing was what you did between jumps. Now that I am well into my 60's, the risk/reward ratio dictates only a few minor leaps now and then. Taking anything really big might have peetered out in my mid-40's.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some days I only ski park jumps. Timberline lodge skiing is pretty boring outside of pow days. But it's parks are great.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Broken tons of stuff, still do jumps, busted knee late 2020, so only hit small jumps/rollers now while recovring.

only thing I haven't hit in a few years is the biggest big air ones, but come spring slush with working kneees, yes lets do it!

my summer season with skiiing indoors its basicly just jumps and park 100%, carving inside on 90 meter vert with tons of bad skiers around on a super narrow chute? no thank you. A run will give you 2 smalish jumps and 1 medium

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do everything within my power to avoid it, most of the time I succeed, sometimes I don't.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 59 years old, I do not catch air any more, not big air. At some point when you get older, you lose a lot of your equilibrium. In my younger days, I always felt very comfortable in the air. I took gymnastics as a kid, loved doing flips on the trampoline and diving boards, it all carried over to skiing. Probably 15 years ago, I went off the diving board and chunked a 1 and half, I was completely lost in the air, I realized then my "air" days are over.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Back in the 70's and 80's I would do jumps all of the time. Now, I just rarely follow my grandsons through the park and go around the features and hit just an occasional one so they know grandpa is legit. Some of the jumps they build around here are HUGE.

jumps-Meadows.jpg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back in the 70's and 80's I would do jumps all of the time. Now, I just rarely follow my grandsons through the park and go around the features and hit just an occasional one so they know grandpa is legit. Some of the jumps they build around here are HUGE.

View attachment 128203
I hope that landing is longer and steeper than it looks. Getting older you learn to LOVE steep landings which are long, so in case you overshoot you dont land flat.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Never been a jumper other than those 215cm Head sleds from the 80s that required a hop turn to maneuver.

A few seasons ago, late on a powder day the only untracked stuff was on the sides of the runs. So there is this guy ahead of me taking air off several rollers on the sides of the run and rather than try and get by him, I follow him, doing figure 8s and then get 2 or 3 untracked pow truns every time buddy takes air. :ogbiggrin:

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do get a kick out of getting air when I ski and look for safe places to drop. Medium kickers are as far as I'll go on park jumps. I landed short and banged my heels badly doing one of those and decided they were big enough. I also worry about compressing my lower back. Dropping cornices and side hits are also fun but no flat landings allowed. As a nod to my age I will not rotate or flip. Just straight air with the softest landing possible.

Sponsor

Staff online