• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you do jumps?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I paid for the bases on the skis. I try to use them. If you you see more than a few inches of light between the snow and the bottom of my skis, please dial 9-1- and be ready for the second "1".

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think jumps are a mindset thing, spend some days just doing park jumps, get confident in the air, or at least pop off every roller
I paid for the bases on the skis. I try to use them. If you you see more than a few inches of light between the snow and the bottom of my skis, please dial 9-1- and be ready for the second "1".
get air, save wax & bases.

I seem to mostly use my edges and base near edges? :p

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oohhh, we're doing pictures now?

Here's my favorite picture of me in the air, also taken by @Lady_Salina .
We were going off the cornice at A-Basin in 2018. She set up at the bottom, and said come towards me so I can get a good photo. So I turned as I came off the edge.
mdf_air_large.jpg

The next year I was skiing with Dean Spirito, some of his groms, and (I think) @UGASkiDawg. I tried going off a small rock, but scraped the tails of my bases on the way off. How do you avoid that?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I try to keep my skis on the ground, most of the time. In the bumps I enjoy a nice pop from one mogul to the other. When I do leave the ground it isn't big, it is just for fun. Rarely do I get enough air for a spread eagle anymore. I don't trust myself for daffy's or back scratchers.

Edit: Let me add I do like to drop cornices but keep it moderate. More than 10' vertical without lots of soft snow and I'm looking for another entrance.

In the old days, air was de rigueur.

Briggs 1.jpg SL - langes - XR1s - look - scott.jpg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Love air time. Old guy pushing my limits...really like the steep landings in parks. Wanna go higher longer.
BAMF

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
ive mellowed with age
but its ok cause i like mellow now

Reactions: Tex

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That's awesome, from the 60s?
Probably. He was a co-founder of the Tirebiters Ski Club in Winter Park. I don't know how old that is. He was also a stunt double in a James Bond movie (or two?). He organized and ran the Epworth Cup and his year of induction was it's 50th running.

IMG_20210316_212815453~01.jpg

Tirebiters Classic Ski Race results

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing only, or do these count?!

Tom Garage Jumping.jpg

Jump!@.JPG

Seriously, on the bike or skis these days, it's "old man air" only -- long and low. A foot off the ground is plenty!

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOL yes, what we will do for a bet... I always say i have no testosterone but I'm guilty of that one.

@Lady_Salina took this photo about maybe ten years ago?? I used to go bigger. It's about my limit now when I'm getting out regularly.. Lip of jump is very left side of the photo.. Sending it pretty good down the landing ramp. I'd have to take a bet to do this the way I feel these days..

View attachment 128258

Sponsor

Staff online