• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you still keep paper road maps in your car?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
^^One can definitely get into trouble with a paper map. Around the millenium I did a week long trip around Wyoming with a friend. 2,000 miles of driving. We used the Wyoming Gazetteer. The scale is so huge though. We ran into some bad roads for a rental 4wd and nearly got stuck. Got lost a bunch and one time ended up on an Indian reservation. We had 3 flat tires for the week. A few months later those tires were recalled.
And the reality seems to be, the paper maps are getting worse. The wide acceptance of digital has pretty much killed the quality of paper maps..

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
And the reality seems to be, the paper maps are getting worse. The wide acceptance of digital has pretty much killed the quality of paper maps..

I can see no reason to upgrade my 80's maps. They still work as well as before. If a road has gone missing, I simply won't take it. :P

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heh... "Thank you!!" Planes Trains and Automobiles obviously!! :D

"Train don't run outta Wichita..lessin' you's a hog or a cattle... People train run outta...snooorrtt.....Stubbville..." :roflmao:
Sumthin' makes me think you didn't have to look that up and that you had the lines memorized. :beercheer: ...Stubbsville :roflmao:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
We have maps and atlases. When I was in high school (public school in MA) there was a class where you learned orienteering etc, and I went to a camp with a Jr Maine Woodsman program where you learned map & compass stuff. My kids' go to plan in most situations is, ask Siri. My oldest daughter is starting to figure out that takes a lot of the fun out of things... were planning a backpacking trip for later in the month and her request was to go anywhere without "modern technology." I'm starting to make a mental list of stuff I want them to know how to do -- reading maps and using a compass is up there, changing a tire, making a fire in the rain, changing a lightbulb, using a reference book (my kids had never heard of encyclopedias), cleaning gutters, sewing etc. Now I won't be able to fall asleep until I write down the list ...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm starting to make a mental list of stuff I want them to know how to do -- reading maps and using a compass is up there, changing a tire, making a fire in the rain, changing a lightbulb, using a reference book (my kids had never heard of encyclopedias), cleaning gutters, sewing etc.

Sounds like you want to bring back the good old days. Let me tell you, those days were definitely old but not really that good. It's just our mind playing tricks on us.They call it Alzheimer's or something. :D

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, but only for trips out of the my comfort zone of travel. I grew up in the same county of NJ that I still live so I am not in need of the local road maps. When I purchased my shore house I went out and purchased a Rand McNally a book of Ocean County NJ road maps. Now that I am planning a move to Mercer County NJ I will have to go out and find the Rand McNally book for Mercer County NJ.

James

Out There
Instructor
If tou're traveling in the Southwest, you'll want the AAA Indian Country map. I think it's still available.

Years ago I travelled all over the southwest with that and even used the list of Indian events to go to one at the time. At which I became a judge of a fry bread contest, (knew nothing about fry bread), hung out in the shelters made of tree branches, and slept on the floor of a house on the reservation. At a bar in Flagstaff I had a conversation wih a guy who wouldn't tell me where he was from because "you've never heard of it". When he eventually told me it was the Hubbell Trading Post, I told him "oh, I was there just yesterday!" Due to the map. That got me an invite to park in his driveway and camp. I ended up doing work on his house.
All from a map.

https://www.petrifiedforestbookstore.com/shop/maps-posters/aaa-indian-country-map/

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My cousin lives in Flagstaff. She and her husband are professors at the local university. He does stuff with geology and anthropology. It's on my bucket list to get back out that way now that they have connections there. Been out that way as a teen with the family, but not with a connected local.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if any of you follow the sailing scene, but in the last Volvo Ocean Race ,with all the latest in GPS navigation technology, Vestas Wind ran aground in the middle of the Indian Ocean, where they thought they were in 100's of meters of water, all because the navigator HADNT ZOOMED IN ENOUGH ON THE CHARTS!!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I guess this means that orienteering will soon become a lost art, if it hasn't already.

It's still taught and required in scouting. Not sure it's needed in cars anymore though. I wonder if driver's ed classroom courses teach basic map reading these days? Oldest kid starting in the fall so I will find out. He's the scout through and already knows maps and orienteering pretty well.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Scouts and summer camps teach orienteering, and some schools (mine still offers that class), and NOLS, outward bound etc. I notice with my interns at work, early 20s, their ability to do practical things can be pretty limited (they're "smart") -- a few days ago we couldn't find a pencil sharpener and I sharpened one with a serrated knife and that kind of blew their minds. Some can't drive, ride bikes, cook, etc. Mostly upper middle class, well-educated kids. My dad used to drive me nuts insisting on chopping wood & heating the house with a wood stove, using a hand crank coffee grinder (pointless) and a hand crank ice cream maker (worth it) ... now I torture my kids in similar ways. He is a hardcore map geek, every year drives from VT to Central America, paper maps only. I decided my focus w my kids will be maps, orienteering and opening beer bottles w rocks. Life skills

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me the question is less that of paper or electronic map and more so of whose doing the navigating or course selection. Either paper or electronic are fine if I'm navigating, but letting the course be plotted while en route by the navigation system way less than I care to trust. I'd simply download the electronic map to have handy if I hadn't paper.

Noted in my just completed trip to South Dakota, fine Ford app would pick a route less than ideal for any of their 3 selected ones. In routing it'd want me to drive through the downtown of Pierre SD in lieu of driving right on the posted hwy - why .. no clue other than bad programming. It is handy however for double checking distance, time remaining, etc.

But I do like Google Maps for planning, seems to select the several routes I would and handy for pegging street views for the signage, especially for my spouse which makes her more comfortable in travels to strange locations.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
For my vacation that starts tomorrow, I'll be doing the big picture navigating with the map in my head, because I've been to a lot of the places we're going before, or I learned by osmosis how to get there, and the close-in navigating by consulting Google maps on my laptop using whatever free Wi-Fi we can glom onto along the way.

James

Out There
Instructor
My cousin lives in Flagstaff. She and her husband are professors at the local university. He does stuff with geology and anthropology. It's on my bucket list to get back out that way now that they have connections there. Been out that way as a teen with the family, but not with a connected local.
If you go out into the foothills of tbe San Franciscp peaks, the terrain below the Snowbowl, you can pickup Indian pottery shards by just kicking sand/dirt. It's all over the place. Or was.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I guess I have a good sense of direction ! I can get to most but not all ski areas I visit In Mid-atlantic, N. E., CO UT, CA without GPS or maps.

Do carry maps and use them some !!

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Not really. Just easier with Google Maps on the run.

However, I have an obsession with collecting road maps for my city.
I just pop into the second hand book store from time to time, to get them all.
Interesting to see the change in the city landscape over the past five decades or so.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Everywhere I went on my vacation last week, wifi was sketchy at best. I relied on paper maps picked up along the way for almost all my close-in navigation. The map in my head sufficed for the long-distance navigation.

Sponsor