• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does Victorinox have a Swiss knife with ski binding tools?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Seems like an obvious thing for the Swiss to create one, given they make all sorts of pocket tools for different hobbies and they ski a lot. In fact, they are one of the 2 or 3 countries in the whole of Europe where the #1 sport is skiing, not football.

I don't even mind if it had cork screw.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What kind of ski specific tools are you looking for that are not covered with other models? Even the Standard Officer has Flat and Phillips screwdrivers.

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t think so.
Btw, if driving in Switzerland on the highway, stop at one of those rest areas with food. The one we stopped at had the biggest collection of Swiss Army knives I’ve seen.

Basically you’re looking at a multi tool with being able to put bits in it. Pozi 3 and 2, allen and torx for boots.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bindings aren't Phillips. They're Pozi What would be useful would be a scraper, gummy stone, and a little roll of duct tape..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Binding adjustment screws are usually either #3 pozi or large flat blade. Some screws will take both. Some won't.
The biggest issue usually is not the proper bit for the screws but clearance for the screwdriver/multi-tool handle. Especially with gloves on.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
ime swiss knifes dont have the heft to apply enough torque for ski applications. All mine have bent implements from even routine light use

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
ime swiss knifes dont have the heft to apply enough torque for ski applications. All mine have bent implements from even routine light use
Yup. I use a Leatherman instead. Bigger (and heavier), but also a lot stronger. And more functionalities, mostly.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The issue with a #3 pozi is that it has to be long enough to reach some of the binding screws that are recessed. Not sure if a Swiss Army Knife would be large enough to accommodate the length needed for binding work.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are quite a few pocket snowboard tool kits that have a #3 in them for under $15.00

shopping

1654523954638.png

For the latter, you will still want one of these to access some screws
shopping

James

Out There
Instructor
You could use the Gerber Center Drive multi tool. Takes standard bits. But at that point it’s getting so big a small separate screwdriver bit holder night be better.
E48E3A26-A78E-4446-9618-C1E718A4D2F7.jpeg

Here’s a long Swiss bit.
Why PB Swiss doesn’t make a special tool for skiing is beyond me.
853C47D0-9C11-4CF1-9DDD-AACD0F30AC66.jpeg

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Many swiss ski resorts have PB Swiss Tools tool stations where you can adjust your bindings etc. https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/support/service/toolboards so there probably wouldn’t be much demand for a dedicated Victorinox ski tool.

Skiing is only the 4th most popular recreational activity in Switzerland, around 35% of the Swiss population lists skiing as a hobby and on average they ski 8 times a year. The most popular recreational activities in Switzerland are hiking, road biking and swimming.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have said this about carrying sharpener equipment when skiing. Is that something you want to fall on when doing a yard sale?

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are quite a few pocket snowboard tool kits that have a #3 in them for under $15.00

shopping

View attachment 170703
For the latter, you will still want one of these to access some screws
shopping

I keep a Dakine set in my touring bag in case of binding emergencies out in the backcountry

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Small but angled for leverage; keep it in my fanny pack with an extended Phillips/Pozi head loaded and ready.
I have this very similar one with a longer pozi#3 from blackdiamond; probably from same overseas factory. Used to be locally avail in brick and mortar for $9.95 from REI but turning more obscure.

Obtaining a standalone longer pozi#3 bit probably costs as getting the entire tool itself. I keep in my boot bag, but I do not carry unless I know I will be planning on swapping skis on the mountain with a buddy.

I've found the the Resort Tool Stations (at least in US) usually only are setup with a standard Philips screwdriver not Pozi.
It seems to be targetted more for snowboarders who got to fiddle with their binding angles and straps all the time, vs ski bindings which only have 1 "correct" setting to be adjusted only by a certified binding technician and then ATSM tested, RIGHT? [Snowboard bindings use Philips, not pozi].

Usually though the philips has been blunted enough though that you can get it to turn the pozi screw if you really need to.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I keep a Dakine set in my touring bag in case of binding emergencies out in the backcountry
That's the only scenario where I see a need. Got a portable tuning kit for travel, a few tools in the boot bag,.. . and at the resort there's usually some pozis and slots chained to a bench somewhere.. If not ask someone at the rental shop nicely and they'll help you out..

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nothing works as well as the dakine
Not showing up on Dakine web site - got a link?

In addition to moving my bindings around on a whim, I've got a boot buckle rivet that loosens up regularly and the Torx head in my tool does the trick, so I would never step in to my bindings without it.

The work stations at most of the resorts I visit seem to have tools that are beat up to the point of being unusable, or missing altogether.

Sponsor