• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drinking the Kool-Aid

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The trouble is, THINGS CHANGE. For example, I have a pretty decent The North Face (TNF) old "three man" tent, but a more recent TNF shell with a zipper that lets go.
I have dropped a few brands from my list for that reason.
Still a fan of Stihl chain saws, and most 3M branded hardware supplies (e.g. sandpaper, abbrasive pads, tape) although that may have changed too - I've not had a lot of experience with 3M of the last five to 10 years.

I have and have had Helli Hanson (HH) uniforms in another job. I'm not impressed with HH, but from what I hear there are better HH jackets and rain shells out there. Making allowances for well known brands introducing price-point-design models to compete for a share of the crap market, I now stick to top of the line, and with that said Arcteryx and Patagonia.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@neonorchid - that’s funny !
Format4 by Felder when you want to burn 50k making sawdust !
@Ogg - I’ve had Festool in the production work place for 20 years and still going. One drill burst into flames after 10s of 1000s of screws. I sent it in and it was back in 5 days and still going to this day.

E6131EC1-5987-4F71-AD55-5A8361C4B5DF.jpeg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Back in my cabinet making and custom furniture days our shop used Rockwell table saws. Owner liked those the best back then... late 1980s... Got knocked on my ass more than once by a sheet of flake or plywood getting kicked back at me. Less often after getting some experience pushing hundreds and hundres through but at first it was sketchy..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of drinking the Kool-Aid..
Is that a case where the land is worth a lot, so someone is likely to tear that house down and put up something fancier? That seems to happen around here a fair amount in some neighborhoods.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah that's purely a land value play. The problem is...I just don't think there is enough money long term to support this kind of value. We're not Manhattan... However I continue to be proven wrong on this.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of the Festool stuff is great but its too expensive and delicate for job site use. If I ever set myself up a proper permanent shop I might go that route.
Every Festool tool I own is worth many times it's cost. The time they save, the accuracy, the quality- whenever I buy another festool I always think "why did I wait so long?"
When you're trimming a $3,000 custom mahogany door, for example, there is no substitute for a Festool track saw.......

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Every Festool tool I own is worth many times it's cost. The time they save, the accuracy, the quality- whenever I buy another festool I always think "why did I wait so long?"
When you're trimming a $3,000 custom mahogany door, for example, there is no substitute for a Festool track saw.......
I could probably justify one of their track saws and a couple other cool things they make but much of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced, IMO. For example, there is NFW a their tiny miter saw is worth $1500. I can buy 3 top end 12" Dewalts for the same cost which will likely handle job site abuse better.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not impressed. I looked at that Festool Track Saw and went with the Mikata. I'm pretty happy with it and would have zero hesitation about using it for trimming a $3K custom mahogany door. I don't use it enough to have trouble with the plastic disk that hold it true to the track to wear down and create play, which when they do are simple to replace.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I could probably justify one of their track saws and a couple other cool things they make but much of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced, IMO. For example, there is NFW a their tiny miter saw is worth $1500. I can buy 3 top end 12" Dewalts for the same cost which will likely handle job site abuse better.
That's why I have both a Makita for "job site abuse" and a Festool miter saw.
My Festool is not to be abused.

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's why I have both a Makita for "job site abuse" and a Festool miter saw.
My Festool is not to be abused.
My 2 favorite sliders used to be the 10" Makita and 10" Hitachi. They have both been re-designed and are trash now.:nono: The last Makita I tried had a ~1/2" of slop and it was nearly impossible to make a square cut. I always have an eye out for the old ones but I'm not the only one so I've seen some absurd pricing on used equipment.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you think Festool is spendy, don’t even look at Maffel then :geek:
No one touches our stuff on the site so there is no chance for damage. like @Average Joe I’m not wanting to leave anything to chance with the tools. On our Yellowstone club projects when we roll into a 20+ million dollar slope side pad and the only way is up multiple flights of stairs or the elevator cladded in some exotic animal skin, the system of transport ( systainer ) is priceless.
There is no portable system with the dust collection system that compares to these two track saw and mitre saw brands - period !
Your not taking materials out side to be trimmed or fitted in the snow, heck some of it was flown in with a crane !
Bosch is a great alternative along with the makita but again no one can match the customer service / repair of the green guys.
Guess it depends on the zip code your working in.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
A&W Onion Rings
Pilsener
Montecristo #4 (am out, and missing them)
and since I'm doing what I hope to be a last renovation for some while it turns out Behr Paints and Primers

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 2 favorite sliders used to be the 10" Makita and 10" Hitachi. They have both been re-designed and are trash now.:nono: The last Makita I tried had a ~1/2" of slop and it was nearly impossible to make a square cut. I always have an eye out for the old ones but I'm not the only one so I've seen some absurd pricing on used equipment.
I too like 10" for a sliding compound miter saw. Sadly I drank the Kool-Aid and purchased Dewalt 10" double bevel sliding compound miter saw, it has a design flaw that makes changing the blade a nightmare!

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Arc'teryx
Stookli
Ping Drivers
Mizuno Irons
Subaru Outback
Keen

Sponsor

Staff online