• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Enforcer 88 vs 94

Tbone

Booting up
Skier
Greetings. I am struggling with length choice and was hoping for input. I am 5’ 7” 180 lbs 57 years old. Consider myself expert for my age and am fairly strong/ fit for my age. I am in Northeast and ski mainly frontside but venture off piste and head west a few times a year. Have gotten rec for both 172 and 165. Not sure if going 165 would be better for a more playful feel, but then worry about stability at speed. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Greetings. I am struggling with length choice and was hoping for input. I am 5’ 7” 180 lbs 57 years old. Consider myself expert for my age and am fairly strong/ fit for my age. I am in Northeast and ski mainly frontside but venture off piste and head west a few times a year. Have gotten rec for both 172 and 165. Not sure if going 165 would be better for a more playful feel, but then worry about stability at speed. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
172. With the rise in the tip and tail the 165 will be very squirrelly.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier

I think your choice is between the 172 and 179. For your size the 165 is not a good option. I think the 172 will give you the combo of playful feel you desire and good stability at speed.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am 5'10 1/2" (Used to be 6 feet! :rolleyes:) and weigh under 180 and ski the Enforcer 100 and 110 in a 186 and just bought a '21 Enforcer 110 in a 185. Of course the 94 is considerable narrower which means you can ski it longer. With the early rise, they ski short. I have never felt like I wished I was on a shorter ski with my 100's

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am in Northeast and ski mainly frontside but venture off piste"
So, why is a 94 mm ski the best for this? The few days you, "head west a few times a year," rent if there is fresh snow. Consider a sub-80 for "...Northeast and ski mainly frontside but venture off piste...."

I've lived and skied a lot in the Rockies. Deep powder days are few and far between, especially if one skis according to a schedule, not according to weather forecasts.

TS
T

Tbone

Booting up
Skier
I am in Northeast and ski mainly frontside but venture off piste"
So, why is a 94 mm ski the best for this? The few days you, "head west a few times a year," rent if there is fresh snow. Consider a sub-80 for "...Northeast and ski mainly frontside but venture off piste...."

I've lived and skied a lot in the Rockies. Deep powder days are few and far between, especially if one skis according to a schedule, not according to weather forecasts.
Felt that the 94 would offer more versatility while still performing well frontside, based on my research and reviews. Also considered the Enforcer 88. Thanks for the input!

Any thoughts on going to the E88 would be appreciated. Just worry that it won’t be as versatile when the snow gets a bit deeper/ cruddy.

Last edited:
TS
T

Tbone

Booting up
Skier
Having read previous threads regarding this, I am still a bit conflicted. I am in NE, and ski about 80% frontside, but do hit the ungroomed and off piste the rest of the time. Head west a few times a year. I was originally thinking of the 88s but as I did research, it seemed like the 94 offered good frontside carving ability, while being a bit more versatile when things got a bit deeper or in crud. They both seem like frontside oriented skis, just not sure which way to go. Any input would be appreciated. I am 5’ 7” and 180 lbs if that makes any difference in input.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
If you're looking for a frontside ski, get the 88. Are you looking for more of a 'one-ski-quiver' kind of thing, only then would I get the 94. Bottom line for the 80% of the time that you ski on-piste, I'm with @DocGKR on this one. Get something like a Blizzard Rustler 10 for the soft snow in the East or trips out West.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any thoughts on going to the E88 would be appreciated. Just worry that it won’t be as versatile when the snow gets a bit deeper/ cruddy.
When? How about if? It really wasn't too long ago that 88 was a powder ski. Remember the Volant Chubb? That was 88 underfoot, slightly before that the acclaimed Volkl Snowranger was only 78 underfoot.

Get the ski for the conditions you actually ski verses conditions you hope to ski. The 88 might be the better options especially for where you ski and your size. The 88 is scaled for your size compared to the 94 would be for someone my size at 5'11" 190lb.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get the 88 and be happy darn near every day.

Maybe add a pair of used 100s for your western trips, when the weather forecast looks favorable? They are easy to find.

Odd thing I'll add: I didn't love my 100s until I moved them back a bit behind the factory line. Not the case on the 88s. Bang on the line works beautifully. No idea why the difference, but I fought it for a season.

TS
T

Tbone

Booting up
Skier
When? How about if? It really wasn't too long ago that 88 was a powder ski. Remember the Volant Chubb? That was 88 underfoot, slightly before that the acclaimed Volkl Snowranger was only 78 underfoot.

Get the ski for the conditions you actually ski verses conditions you hope to ski. The 88 might be the better options especially for where you ski and your size. The 88 is scaled for your size compared to the 94 would be for someone my size at 5'11" 190lb.
"Get the ski for the conditions you actually ski verses conditions you hope to ski." Well said! Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Merged two threads.

TS
T

Tbone

Booting up
Skier
appreciate the community and all the replies!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Everybody posting so far on these skis is focusing on the width. I skied these two skis back-to-back yesterday and there's a lot more going on here. The 88 isn't simply a narrower 94. These skis are very different; like night and day. The 88 has been significantly "detuned". According to the rep it has a thinner core and it feels like it. The 94 is much smoother, damper, more stable. It feels like a much more substantial ski. The 88 would be fine for a lighter less powerful skier.

Personally I hate when manufacturers "dumb down" the narrower skis in a line-up. Note that this isn't the case with the current K2 Mindbender 90 vs. 99 (among other examples).

Sponsor