• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EV or no EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
——————
Marit Bergsland, who works at the store, has had to learn how to help frustrated customers connect to chargers in addition to her regular duties flipping burgers and ringing up purchases of salty licorice, a popular treat.

“Sometimes we have to give them a coffee to calm down,” she said.
——————
Salty licorice- its pretty special.:geek:
If you ever wondered “could dried fish be turned into candy?” That’s what it tastes like.

Interesting charging point concept. Basically, they’re batteries that get charged up, then discharged into vehicles. So you need much less current coming in. Plus the whole thing is the size of a container so it can easily be moved. Because it’s a temporary structure, you don’t need all the permits and digging, plus you can move it if the location isn’t good.
Circle K is using some.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe they have already done this. An electricity broker should add a premium renewable option that cost a few extra bucks for a charge and take a small fee.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Maybe they have already done this. An electricity broker should add a premium renewable option that cost a few extra bucks for a charge and take a small fee.
Yep, readily available, at ~2x the baseline price per kWh.
Still less expensive then TOD (time of day) plans, that try to sucker you in with lower off-peak rates, then overcharge during daytime (when AC is running).

Hard pass on both.

a

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^ Think I will stay with gas for now. Same reason I don’t switch to the hdhp option. No need to try to be an expert where I don’t have to be, unless of course the reward far exceeds the cost of effort.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^ I’m staying liquid too after considering an EV. Current truck puts out over 500 hp & 1,000 foot pounds of torque. It can easily tow 3 Teslas on a trailer at 90mph without even sweating. It also has a fuel range of over 3,000 miles; not towing the Teslas. It also emits particulate matter which is the nucleus of a snow flake. There is no EV which can compete.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting charging point concept. Basically, they’re batteries that get charged up, then discharged into vehicles. So you need much less current coming in. Plus the whole thing is the size of a container so it can easily be moved. Because it’s a temporary structure, you don’t need all the permits and digging, plus you can move it if the location isn’t good.
Circle K is using some.

Very similar to this press release this week too.
Some big names and big investments behind retrofitting stations to provide semi-fast charging option as fast as possible and without requiring big upgrades.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Speaking of fast charging deployments in the US, the nearest Irving station to Sunday River (the one one Rt 2/26 across from the Good Food Store) put in a bank of Tesla superchargers a little while back. I thought it was a surprisingly aggressive move into chargers for an Irving station, but then I read the NYT article I linked above. It's also a Circle 17, so they must be applying lessons from Norway.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
So the 6.7l turbo diesel in what?
That’s over 3,200 miles! Just crazy. Not much can compete with that.
You’re using astronaut diapers?
Super duty. I put the big tank in because I was driving frequently between AK and the lower 48. I had problems with contaminated fuel (water) twice and didn’t want to deal with that anymore. Assuming no EMP, the truck will be a great apocalypse vehicle. That reminds me, I should buy some ammo. ;)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
its kinda fun seeing people talk about EVs on the forum, vs how it is here, almost every new car is an EV here like article says, and almost all drive them for daily here now.

they still are meh for longer travels though, if you have to DC charge, its a too long trip, DC chargeing is a PITA, even with tesla.

James

Out There
Instructor
its kinda fun seeing people talk about EVs on the forum, vs how it is here, almost every new car is an EV here like article says, and almost all drive them for daily here now.

they still are meh for longer travels though, if you have to DC charge, its a too long trip, DC chargeing is a PITA, even with tesla.
Is it true Toyota drivers are the slowest in Norway?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it true Toyota drivers are the slowest in Norway?
yes and no
there are very few toyotas here, the few that sell, usually sell to old people, like yaris etc, and that new HORRIBLE ev they released.

then you have the landcruiser, hiace/proace crowd, they are not slow.

most left lane huggers theese days are idiots in EV's

"Im going 100 in the 100 zone" then just camp out n the left lane.... and there is me, IM ACTUALLY TRYING TO BREAK THE LIMIT!!!

you get away wth 34 to 51kmh over the limit without to much hassle here if your caught.

in our 110 zone, most EV guys rock..90-100 though, not 110.. still in left lane..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't see EV drivers being much different than BMW drivers here. Except the Prius crowd.... :rolleyes:

What I mean is, you have your idiot I have too much money and can't drive BMW drivers, your I just plain can't drive BMW drivers and your hold my beer and watch this (as the car crashes and burns to the ground killing 5 people) BMW drivers..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hehe...the whole BMW driver thing has changed a bit since the i3/i8 fiasco - in that most of the ones I see now are in family X series trucksters, driving up from the South to ski in WVa.

Audi drivers OTOH :nono::nono::nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online