• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Exploring third vehicle options: bigger and badder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This is along similar lines to @newfydog and @coskigirl 's posts, but different. "Help me choose a vehicle" is the new "Help me choose a ski."

Some of you have been privy to my angsting about replacing my 2008 Outback XT with144k miles. it's my commuter between Boulder and Longmont, as well as the car we take skiing and mountain biking. So far, it hasn't had much in the way of maintenance issues, but I don't know how long I can rely on that. Hopefully another 50-100k?

"Our" other vehicle is a 2006 BMW sedan with fewer miles than the Outback. It's my husband's car, which is used for a very short commute and also very occasional 15 hour drives to visit family. I find it completely impractical. It's also weirdly pristine (more on that later - my husband and I have very different views about how to treat a vehicle).

The main complaints about the Outback:
* There are times when driving stick really sucks. I dread the next time I have to drive I-70 up to the Eisenhower in stop and go traffic, just slightly slower than I can drive in first gear. Actually, that's pretty much the only scenario in which I dislike the manual transmission.
* The seats constrain my husband's shoulders, so he finds them uncomfortable. I hear about this every winter weekend.
* I want more room to put bikes and skis and dogs.

What I like about the Outback:
* I love that it's turbo. I like driving stick when it's not the above scenario.
* It fits into tight spaces like Boulder parking garages, which is a necessity for me.
* It fits into my garage and low parking garages even with the roof box.
* I can shove my bike inside it if necessary, although the hitch rack is much easier.
* I genuinely enjoy driving it.

Why I'm thinking about getting a third vehicle:
* When we do have a mandatory car repair, we have to drop everything to deal with it. An extra vehicle would give us flexibility.
* I grew up in a household that always had more vehicles than drivers, so it's a familiar mode for me.
* I want more room! With two dogs in the back seat, the roof box works for skis ... except my husband's powder skis. When I decided to bring both dogs and my bike recently, I had to remove both wheels to *barely* squeeze my bike into the far back ... and there was zero room for anything else. Good thing I have a roof box!
* I could keep the Outback as a commuter car. Maybe even (gasp) remove the roof box to save gas. Drive it into the ground. Save miles on the new (or new to us) vehicle as well.
* I've always wanted a V8. (I may or may not get a V8 this time, but it's on my mind. Purely emotional.)
* When I considered flat-out replacing the Outback, the only thing that seemed like it might work (because of parking garage for work - height and width) was another Outback. But my heart just isn't into the new Outback, no matter how much I like some of the features. And it would definitely be a compromise for what I really want.

So, the third vehicle would be for driving to the mountains or on trips with ski gear, bikes, and dogs. I would really like to be able to put a bike or two inside it for theft prevention. I would love to be able to throw skis in the back without impacting the dogs, who are each 60 lb and will hopefully be with us a while still (6yo and 9yo, active and healthy). It needs to be able to handle snow, ice, and bumpy dirt roads at least as well as my Outback (but without the stress of fiddling with the clutch). It would be nice to be able to park it in our home garage, but not a must.

Having skis inside some enclosure (box or vehicle) is a requirement - to preserve bases and bindings, and because it gives a lot more flexibility.

My husband argues that the extra cost of owning a third vehicle, even if paid off, isn't worth it, and that maybe he would sell his sedan and drive this hypothetical beast to work (about 3 miles). I'm open to arguments either way. I know that he loves driving his car, so it seems unlikely to me, especially if the third vehicle can't fit in the garage anyway. And more critically - he is extremely fussy about the state of his car, inside and out. He's the type to park far away to keep his car from getting dinged, and the wrappers and crumbs that appear when I go on a road trip drive him nuts. I just don't see us sharing his primary vehicle without world war three breaking out, especially when I inevitably ding it with skis, bikes, or simply a rock that got kicked up driving to a trailhead. To me, vehicles are utilitarian. I have a strong emotional attachment to them, but not to their pristine paint job and immaculate interior.

It's important to me to get a vehicle with some oomph. A vehicle to which I feel an emotional attachment. I kinda want to make that Tim Allen grunt from Home Improvement when I see it.

Realistically, we have other financial goals right now that will serve us better than a vehicle ... but I want to have the lay of the land for when we're ready.

So, some vehicles I've considered -

A Suburban. If anything has the stats for this, a Suburban does, right? But that thing is HUGE. I wonder if we'd live to regret getting something so big. Husband is not so sure he wants to drive something that huge. Maybe he has a point. I haven't test driven anything yet. I would end up buying something before I'm financially ready.

A 4Runner or Grand Cherokee with a roof box. Thing is, I really prefer not to have skis extending through the second row and potentially up into the front of the vehicle. And I don't think they're any better for shoving a bike in the far back than my current Outback.

So, what's between those two classes?

What about a regular Tahoe (not XL)? I'm having trouble telling from the photos of the interior if the far back + rear row (folded down) is much bigger than what I already have in my Outback. Thoughts?

Availability of second row captain's chairs also seems relevant - could shove skis between them without having them be too obnoxious. But with a fold-down rear row, it kinda looks like the skis would dangle and slide - meh. Thinking the dogs would actually have more room with captain's seats. I think they'd choose to stay on the floor.

Maybe an honest to goodness truck? I don't love the separation of bed from seating area. Seems like you lose flexibility for packing (of course, you gain the ability to fill it with mulch or whatever, but we haven't needed that yet). I suspect that even compared to a Suburban, a big ass truck with a full quad cab and a big bed would still not be the most fun to drive on the highway for several hours every weekend.

What vehicles might fit the bill?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
What about a Nissan Xterra. They don't make them any longer but they are big and sporty. Main reason I didn't buy one is because a convertible/ sun roof is a must have for me.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What about a Nissan Xterra. They don't make them any longer but they are big and sporty. Main reason I didn't buy one is because a convertible/ sun roof is a must have for me.

I don't think it has any more room to shove bikes and skis inside than the 4Runner or the Grand Cherokee.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I drive vehicles until a repair cost comes up that is higher than the vehicles actual value, on that very day I buy a new vehicle. I typically keep them 13-14 years and easily over 200,000 miles

We are large SUV owners, I just this year downsized to a Tahoe

The Tahoe/Suburban is the only way to go. The safety of the mass and the added height for visibility is awesome. I carry/pack a lot of stuff (and trailer too) when I go to The Keys fishing.

Can’t remember ever hearing someone say, “geez I wish this car didn’t have so much space”.

We are renting a Tahoe for our DV trip in December, of course we will have skis in tow.

Edited to add: grand Cherokee is a joke in regards to size

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We've got a Tundra with a cap and a horse stall floor liner (for $39--so much cheaper than a bed liner). Naturally you can put dog crates and anything else in the rear, along with skis. There are horrid rear seats as well if you must have extra bodies. Not my cup of tea, really, but I've driven back from Denver across Wyoming in a snow storm in it. Admittedly stopped in Billings in great relief. It's my husband's truck, but I bought the cap as it seemed like I was always hauling stuff in bad weather. It's a taller cap, so you could go camping in it. (I did pre-cap with a truck tent and truck mattress). We own about eight cargo straps for keeping stuff from shifting.

Personally, I hope never to have to drive it again, I like smaller cars like my Alltrack much better. But they are not so good at transporting two bureaus, a bed, and a dining room table all at once.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pickup trucks have terrible security for hauling stuff, and it bounces around more it seems

Also, the lighter weight rear would in my opinion create issues in slippery conditions

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Pickup trucks have terrible security for hauling stuff, and it bounces around more it seems

Also, the lighter weight rear would in my opinion create issues in slippery conditions

Have to second this. I loved my F-250 Superduty Crew cab. But when it came to snow packed/icy roads, aside from slow speeds it cannot hold a candle to my Jeep Commander or my Subaru Outback.

The Commander which you can only find used now as they went out of production several years back is heavy but well balanced and has an excellent traction control system and quite a bit more room than an Outback but less than a Tahoe.

A 150K on a properly maintained outback makes it practically new:). I’m on my second Outback, a 2011 that is my daily commute first on the highway then up a steep mountain road with lots of switchbacks that I often travel up early in the morning sometimes before the snow plows. The Outback is great, I have an Automatic but for the mountain roads I switch to the manual option and use the paddle shifters on the steering column which really makes it fun:) but then again I only need the room for myself most days.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Can’t remember ever hearing someone say, “geez I wish this car didn’t have so much space”.

LOL. No, but I've definitely heard, "This vehicle is a bitch to park" and "I have to make a 9 point turn to get into this spot."

Naturally you can put dog crates and anything else in the rear, along with skis.

Ahh. Dog crates. That would make things easier, for sure. Cooper is terrified of crates of any sort, and he also is miserable in cars - looks like he's about to hork the whole time, panting and slobbering. Makes our weekly trips Real Fun. I'm amazed he's never refused to get in, but I guess the fun on the other side is always worth it. Anyway, putting him in the far back makes everything worse - he's puked before - and crates are a no go. So the dogs get the rear seat. I tried to put Cooper in the front passenger seat before when we were moving, and he climbed through to the back at the *worst* time, right over the stick shift, deciding to sit on a pile of dishes. Thanks, Cooper. Loki, if forced into the far back, will simply climb right over into the back seat - whether people are occupying the space or not.

Reading this, it sort of looks like maybe my dogs are running my life, rather than me running theirs. But I doubt that's going to change at this point.

The Commander which you can only find used now as they went out of production several years back is heavy but well balanced and has an excellent traction control system and quite a bit more room than an Outback but less than a Tahoe.

I was just scoping one of these in the parking lot. Husband deemed it ugly, but *shrug*. Used is definitely on the table, especially if I manage to convince my husband that we should have a third vehicle, not a replacement for his sedan.

Yeah, if it weren't for the stick and the seat shape, I really don't think I'd be dissatisfied at this point. I had several issues recently, which is what made me start thinking about it. I had a "ghost" locking and unlocking my doors constantly while I drove. Simple cheap grounding issue, but alarming. Then asked about the shuddering while braking, which resulted in grinding down the rotors - but I was warned they had to do a lot of grinding, and will likely need new rotors again. I gather from the discussion in another thread that this is a common "modern car" issue. Then the power steering fluid started leaking like crazy - emptying completely in 24 hours - which required replacing the something something. All in all, an expensive and time consuming three weeks, although it's been years since I had any issues - and the last thing was something like a spark plug having to be replaced (I noticed that acceleration seemed sluggish. Service manager was surprised I noticed so quickly. I know zip about how cars work, but I notice when my performance drops!).

And I do wish I had a heated steering wheel, and some of the more recent standards, like USB ports, Bluetooth, and backup cameras. Not necessarily in that order.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, some vehicles I've considered -

A Suburban. If anything has the stats for this, a Suburban does, right? But that thing is HUGE. I wonder if we'd live to regret getting something so big. Husband is not so sure he wants to drive something that huge. Maybe he has a point. I haven't test driven anything yet. I would end up buying something before I'm financially ready.

What about a regular Tahoe (not XL)? I'm having trouble telling from the photos of the interior if the far back + rear row (folded down) is much bigger than what I already have in my Outback. Thoughts?

Availability of second row captain's chairs also seems relevant - could shove skis between them without having them be too obnoxious. But with a fold-down rear row, it kinda looks like the skis would dangle and slide - meh. Thinking the dogs would actually have more room with captain's seats. I think they'd choose to stay on the floor.
I will let @Tricia chime in more about this but after spending the past 7 years with a Yukon XL (AKA Suburban), I am a beleiver. First, don't even bother with a regular Tahoe (regular Yukon), really why bother? The XL/Suburban gives you so much more room and other than saving a few inches in length, the bigger one is much better.
As far as huge, well, thats what she said...se above you said that...but really it is the same length as a quad cab truck or regular bed pick up, not bad at all. Captains chairs in the back? really like them on long trips. We that the DVD system, with iPads and such it is a waste and we rarely use it. Mileage? Upper teens on trips, not bad considering that SUV's that are half the size barely get over 20...and knowing how thirsty your OB XT is...you won't notice much difference. Maintenance? pretty simple and most anyone can work on them. and other than routine maintenance, nothing unusual.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I was just scoping one of these in the parking lot. Husband deemed it ugly, but *shrug*. Used is definitely on the table, especially if I manage to convince my husband that we should have a third vehicle, not a replacement for his sedan.

Yeah, if it weren't for the stick and the seat shape, I really don't think I'd be dissatisfied at this point. I had several issues recently, which is what made me start thinking about it. I had a "ghost" locking and unlocking my doors constantly while I drove. Simple cheap grounding issue, but alarming. Then asked about the shuddering while braking, which resulted in grinding down the rotors - but I was warned they had to do a lot of grinding, and will likely need new rotors again. I gather from the discussion in another thread that this is a common "modern car" issue. Then the power steering fluid started leaking like crazy - emptying completely in 24 hours - which required replacing the something something. All in all, an expensive and time consuming three weeks, although it's been years since I had any issues - and the last thing was something like a spark plug having to be replaced (I noticed that acceleration seemed sluggish. Service manager was surprised I noticed so quickly. I know zip about how cars work, but I notice when my performance drops!).

And I do wish I had a heated steering wheel, and some of the more recent standards, like USB ports, Bluetooth, and backup cameras. Not necessarily in that order.

Lol, yeah the Commander is boxy and utilitarian which some might find charming. A word of advice though, it’s a heavy vehicle and you are better off with the Hemi V-8 than the V-6, less strain on it and a lot more oomph although they do guzzle gas at about the same rate as a Tahoe but have a smaller tank.

I’ve always been a preventative maintenance guy myself which means I follow the maintenance manuals to a “T” and replace things at the recommended intervals whether there is a maintenance issue with them or not as I hate surprises, still as a car gets older there seems like there is always some nuisance issue but not one that strands you hopefully.

I never thought I’d care about a heated steering wheel then I got one on a BMW, they are nice on those really cold days.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it wasn't very clear to me if you wanted Used or new but I didnt read too closely. It might be good to look at a used Grand Cherokee.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
it wasn't very clear to me if you wanted Used or new but I didnt read too closely. It might be good to look at a used Grand Cherokee.

Are they significantly bigger than the current model ones? Close reading reveals that I think they're too small :)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If thats too small then maybe you should consider a box truck? :D

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I will let @Tricia chime in more about this but after spending the past 7 years with a Yukon XL (AKA Suburban), I am a beleiver. First, don't even bother with a regular Tahoe (regular Yukon), really why bother? The XL/Suburban gives you so much more room and other than saving a few inches in length, the bigger one is much better.
As far as huge, well, thats what she said...se above you said that...but really it is the same length as a quad cab truck or regular bed pick up, not bad at all. Captains chairs in the back? really like them on long trips. We that the DVD system, with iPads and such it is a waste and we rarely use it. Mileage? Upper teens on trips, not bad considering that SUV's that are half the size barely get over 20...and knowing how thirsty your OB XT is...you won't notice much difference. Maintenance? pretty simple and most anyone can work on them. and other than routine maintenance, nothing unusual.

Well, even with the roof box on full time, I still get 21-23mpg average. I only use S# in the mountains, or occasionally to blast past someone poky.

Okay, so, if I were to choose a Suburban (or equivalent) -

1) Does it matter which one?
2) How old can it be / how much mileage and still be a reliable long-trip vehicle, and what can I expect to pay for that?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If thats too small then maybe you should consider a box truck? :D

I want to be able to put bikes and potentially skis inside the vehicle while still having dogs in the rear seat. And if that bike is in there, I want room to put something else in the vehicle, too.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Roof boxes are a no go for most indoor garages in a full sized vehicle of any significance

Suck it up and get the suburban. Look for a slightly used one, there are lots out there. IF money is less of an issue, put your name in to get one used by a dealership executive. Normally the deal is good and it would have less than 5000 miles.

I got a Tahoe LTZ in a deal as listed above, love it. You need a XL/Surburban tho. I downsized :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, even with the roof box on full time, I still get 21-23mpg average. I only use S# in the mountains, or occasionally to blast past someone poky.

Okay, so, if I were to choose a Suburban (or equivalent) -

1) Does it matter which one?
2) How old can it be / how much mileage and still be a reliable long-trip vehicle, and what can I expect to pay for that?
We have an 08...110K or so on it now. We can get 18-19MPG from Reno to Colorado, that is going the speed limit...70-80MPH.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Roof boxes are a no go for most indoor garages in a full sized vehicle of any significance

Yes, that was the conundrum that led me to considering the third vehicle route ... I can *just* squeeze into my garage and parking garages with a 2008 Outback + a 16" roof box. Any taller, and I don't think it will fit into my office parking garage. The new Outbacks are 3" taller; it's possible to get a slimline roof box. 4Runner and Grand Cherokee would be borderline with a slimline roof box. Anyway, add the desire to be able to protect my expensive mountain bike by shoving it inside the vehicle, and it just doesn't even matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online