• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Exploring third vehicle options: bigger and badder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Monique, for some reason in your post #116 you ignored evaluating the Volvo XC70 that I suggested in my post #101. While a used XC70 or a BMW 328xi for that matter, wouldn't be the choice over a 3rd vehicle Suburban, a sport wagon would be good as a replacement for the Outback if you decide to stay with 2 cars.

The XC70 meets the major requirements of power, industry leading comfortable seats, parking garage clearance with a ski box, ground clearance, and a higher level of luxury compared to a Outback. The Swedes know how to build cars that work well in winter and an XC70 is a very solid vehicle.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Monique, I'm not trying to get your worried about the lifespan of the car....more the turbo. I've told my daughter that she should feel driving hers as long as she wants, but don't find yourself blowing the turbo. So replace this spring, but a good one, and be done with it. For $2K, I think you can be happy and confident with the car. Better than waiting for a failure. Of course it is a 5 speed, which is not at the top of your list.

Now, If you want a mint 2008 XT with more like 110-120K miles, with a 5 speed automatic, I might be able to broker a deal, HaHa.

On your three finalists, the Suburban/Yukon is going to have the most room inside, no question. Have you driven one? Very nice. I think it "drives smaller" than it is, if that makes sense.

My experience is that the LC has the best build quality, and will last the longest. Also love how they drive. And with the back seats out, you can hold a lot of gear. Skis inside? that can be tight. I have a trick for 193cm's, but it involves folding up the seat behind the passenger seat. So if long{er} skis inside is a priority, might not be the choice. I will say, a Packasport roof box, which opens from the back, and the tailgate is a nice combination on a Land Cruiser. Want some super nice leather, and a few other "goodies", look at a Lexus. I'm not a fan of the suspension. Pretty much the same truck as a LC. They import more Lexus.

Sequoia can be a tremendous bang for the buck used. It basically shares a platform with a Tundra. I think we have a few Sequoia owners on here. I know a couple of younger ski families with kids who LOVE the vehicle.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Can I just say - it's crazy that it requires a Suburban to transport two people one bike and one dog. I mean really. That said, it's a free country. Seems like Suburban hits your needs, if you are looking for an alternative, maybe have a look at the VW Atlas? It seems huge enough for you too.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Can I just say - it's crazy that it requires a Suburban to transport two people one bike and one dog. I mean really. That said, it's a free country. Seems like Suburban hits your needs, if you are looking for an alternative, maybe have a look at the VW Atlas? It seems huge enough for you too.

Husband has vetoed VW after the emissions fiasco.

Well, two dogs. So there.

Look, you try to fit a bike with 27.5" or 29" wheels into a car without using the back seat, and see how far you get. Mine is just a small, too. And even diagonally, long skis take up a lot of space, ie, usually 2/3 of the split seat. I can do a roof box to deal with skis, but the bike thing is more difficult.

Anyway, with a third vehicle, I'm already obviously looking for more than what's strictly necessary. I could just keep driving my Outback. But if I'm looking to fix those problems, I might as well get exactly what I want!

Reactions: BC.

Muleski

Inactive
Two of the other ones that got away were a 1998 V70 AWD wagon, basically a stealth XC70 with slightly lower clearance. That was a great car that we could have driven easily for twice as long as we did. I sold it to buy the W8 Passat.
We had an 850 T before the V70. Sold it because we wanted AWD. That was a great car, even in the snow. Have someday friends who have had XC70's and 95% have loved them. Nobody bats 1.000
Agree that's an option. The newer Volvo's......very nice.

Now if you want to get tricky, your husband can pick up a 328xi wagon. That six cylinder engine runs for a long life. If he wants to put about $1800 into it, he can change the intake and the software and have the exact same engine as the 330. The 328xi will feel a touch smaller than the XT. A six speed wagon is fairly rare, and commands a premium in price, probably $3-4K, if you went for a comparable mileage one. So, that car with an automatic could become a commuter option. Drives well with an automatic. Full disclosure. Have one of these in there family as well. Check out the price of used 328xi wagons....I think you'll be surprised. I bet you'd be very pleased with the 328xi, with the engine just as is. It will blow you XT gas mileage away, BTW.

You're in a hot XT market. The math of getting out of an XT and into the 328xi works. It absolutely works in Denver. And with a 5 speed XT, it works even more. Not that I have been checking into this.......much.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I'm out after this, but none of the other vehicles you're considering are better at hauling bikes and dogs at the same time than a minivan. None.

We just did a 2500 mile Moab trip. Three bikes and a dog and me and a wife and two spare sets of wheels. Cushy comfortable. Bikes upright (front wheels off, seats still in place, backed in, secured on a cheap, home made "fork board". Nothing on the roof. Makes for great 85+ mph cruising in the empty parts of Idaho and Utah (and still getting passed regularly!).

If Moab had parking garages, we would have fit nicely. Don't laugh. That place is getting off the hook crowded!

I too lust for a V8, but having frequently driven Yukons, Burbans, Expeditions, etc. they are not faster feeling than our Sienna -- though they sure sound cooler!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now if you want to get tricky, your husband can pick up a 328xi wagon. That six cylinder engine runs for a long life. If he wants to put about $1800 into it, he can change the intake and the software and have the exact same engine as the 330. The 328xi will feel a touch smaller than the XT. A six speed wagon is fairly rare, and commands a premium in price, probably $3-4K, if you went for a comparable mileage one. So, that car with an automatic could become a commuter option. Drives well with an automatic. Full disclosure. Have one of these in there family as well. Check out the price of used 328xi wagons....I think you'll be surprised. I bet you'd be very pleased with the 328xi, with the engine just as is. It will blow you XT gas mileage away, BTW.

You're in a hot XT market. The math of getting out of an XT and into the 328xi works. It absolutely works in Denver. And with a 5 speed XT, it works even more. Not that I have been checking into this.......much.

OK, big thread derail, but the last 328xi wagon with NA inline six engine is the gold standard, IMO. I'm a new car guy (I'm worth it). When BMW came out with the new turbo 4 version of the wagon, I hemmed and hahed for too long, and missed the last one of the older version in the lower 48 with a stick shift BY ONE DAY!!!!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I too lust for a V8, but having frequently driven Yukons, Burbans, Expeditions, etc. they are not faster feeling than our Sienna -- though they sure sound cooler!

Yeah, the sound is definitely .. distinctive. My old R1100R had that sort of rumble, but that's long gone. And I don't want a motorcycle anymore, anyway. *sniff*

Unfortunately, the Sienna lists a ground clearance of 6.5" - I don't want to lose that much vs the Outback, even though I'll acknowledge I'm not sure I've ever actually used every inch of that.

scott43

Skier
OK, big thread derail, but the last 328xi wagon with NA inline six engine is the gold standard, IMO. I'm a new car guy (I'm worth it). When BMW came out with the new turbo 4 version of the wagon, I hemmed and hahed for too long, and missed the last one of the older version in the lower 48 with a stick shift BY ONE DAY!!!!
FWIW, inline-6's suck as performance engines.. :D

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Monique, for some reason in your post #116 you ignored evaluating the Volvo XC70 that I suggested in my post #101. While a used XC70 or a BMW 328xi for that matter, wouldn't be the choice over a 3rd vehicle Suburban, a sport wagon would be good as a replacement for the Outback if you decide to stay with 2 cars.

The XC70 meets the major requirements of power, industry leading comfortable seats, parking garage clearance with a ski box, ground clearance, and a higher level of luxury compared to a Outback. The Swedes know how to build cars that work well in winter and an XC70 is a very solid vehicle.

Well, I kinda didn't want to derail this into replacing the Outback, because I'd thought about that a lot, and it's a whole separate subject that gets confusing in conjunction with all the posts in this thread.

It does look like a pretty direct replacement for my Outback - turbo, AWD, similar dimensions and ground clearance. The look is similar, too. I don't think I'd considered this when I was thinking about replacing the Outback, so maybe I *should* have started that thread!

I hate the idea of shelling out money to get a vehicle whose only improvements on paper are no stick shift (only an improvement in this particular context of I-70 traffic) and presumably more comfortable seats. If I do need to replace the Outback, I think this is a great idea. But it's hard to consider a "sidegrade," you know? I started a thread several years ago on Epic about replacing the Outback with something more trail worthy. Now I've spent a couple of months batting around the idea of replacing the Outback, but you see where I ended up. Ask anyone here who knows me - I'm an impulse buyer who usually has no trouble pulling the trigger. But the XT ... it's special, and I can't seem to bring myself to want to replace it with something in a similar class.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But the XT ... it's special, and I can't seem to bring myself to want to replace it with something in a similar class.

You can join me -- and maybe a zillion others -- in hoping the next WRX is built on the new, global Crosstrek chassis. Put a stick in that, and I'm an owner!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know nothing about today's minivans. Full disclosure: I had a Nissan Quest that went almost 200k. We took a lot of ski trips, beach trips, etc. loaded up with a lot of gear. FWD and never got stuck in the snow, but for you, yes you need 4WD so you won;t have to deal with chains.

I don't think you really want a minivan, but they are the easiest for bikes as you can just roll them right in. I used to keep my bike in mine almost all the time ready for an after work ride. I also used to have my bike and my xc skis in there in winter and would decide at the trailhead which was the best option for that day. I was also the dad who got to drive all the kids around and that part I didn't love...old crank that I am!

Have not had a stick in many years; not since our aforementioned Honda Prelude. Loved driving that car. Hated driving that car in traffic. We get a lot of traffic around here. Driving the I70 weekend ski traffic with a stick must suck.

Roof top box is gonna be tough to access in any tall vehicle. One option is to carry a folding step stool in the car.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Minivans are so underated for what they can accomplish but I don't think Mo is looking for one of them.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We rented one of those giant SUV's for last year's Gathering at Whistler. I've already forgotten which brand. They really ARE like driving an ocean liner. Great on the freeway, but work to climb in and out of, tough to see what's in the lane to your right, tough to park or maneuver in narrow streets. Reminded me of driving the equipment truck for my son's high school band.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We rented one of those giant SUV's for last year's Gathering at Whistler. I've already forgotten which brand. They really ARE like driving an ocean liner. Great on the freeway, but work to climb in and out of, tough to see what's in the lane to your right, tough to park or maneuver in narrow streets. Reminded me of driving the equipment truck for my son's high school band.

Yeah, I imagine that's true - and that the modern camera systems and blind side warning systems are a godsend in those vehicles.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Endcap : I have gathered way plenty of information in this thread. I have a good idea of what will work if/when I do get a third vehicle in this vein. Now that I have a better idea of the cost, I'm more firmly entrenched in gutting out I-70 with my Outback XT for as long as possible. I've also gotten confirmation that my Outback really is a special beast - no wonder I've kept it longer than I've kept anything else. No vehicle is better enough to be worth the outlay for a few quibbles. @epic is certainly correct in saying I don't *need* this third vehicle.

@Philpug , I'd be okay shutting down this thread, as I think we're circling back a lot. We can leave it open if you'd like, of course.

Anyone who wants to continue the conversation is more than welcome to PM me!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Endcap : I have gathered way plenty of information in this thread. I have a good idea of what will work if/when I do get a third vehicle in this vein. Now that I have a better idea of the cost, I'm more firmly entrenched in gutting out I-70 with my Outback XT for as long as possible. I've also gotten confirmation that my Outback really is a special beast - no wonder I've kept it longer than I've kept anything else. No vehicle is better enough to be worth the outlay for a few quibbles. @epic is certainly correct in saying I don't *need* this third vehicle.

@Philpug , I'd be okay shutting down this thread, as I think we're circling back a lot. We can leave it open if you'd like, of course.

Anyone who wants to continue the conversation is more than welcome to PM me!

Okey dokey, Smokey. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online