• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fall at speed - stop slide

AJB

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone,

Looking for peoples experience on how they were able to slow and stop a slide after a fall at speed. At Mammoth this past week on a steeper groomer (~35-38) and at speed ended up on back before I even knew what happened (still don’t know :) ) Slid for must have been 100 feet. Fell at speed and was able to rotate so head was uphill, and I kept skis up and edges away from fall line to avoid catching edge and going head over heals. Attempted to drag poles and arms but seemed to do little. Not sure if there was anything else I could have done other than let Mother Nature and Physics run their course. Thanks!

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use cat like reflexes to first slide head down on my back until the maximum amount of snow is shoved down my neck and back. Then I flip over and slide face down until my helmet and goggles are packed with snow. After which I stop at the toe of the slope wondering why my skis didn’t release.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only real tool you have under those circumstances is your pole tip, but unless you have advanced warning and incredibly fast reflexes you won't be able to get the tip and your hands in the proper position before you've picked up too much speed to have any impact. The best you can do is get your head uphill and avoid catching anything that will initiate tomahawking, which it sounds like you did exactly that. And if you see something approaching that promises severe impact, try to steer around it (very hard to do). Avoid steep couloirs with death dealing choke points, especially if icy.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In that situation, you did good getting into a feet first position.
Planning ahead saves a little time an dependance on quick reflexes. Plan to roll over on your front side, throw away one pole and use both arms with leverage to drive your remaining pole into the snow, after you get to a feet first position. If your skis are still attached, keep them in the air. Surprisingly enough, once I had the plan under control, I never needed to use it.

If it's very steep and you have long radius skis you can pop back up on them after aligning them with the fall line. Popping back up works on straight SG skis; doesn't work on modern SL ski. I know this from experience.

Reactions: AJB
TS
A

AJB

Booting up
Skier
The only real tool you have under those circumstances is your pole tip, but unless you have advanced warning and incredibly fast reflexes you won't be able to get the tip and your hands in the proper position before you've picked up too much speed to have any impact. The best you can do is get your head uphill and avoid catching anything that will initiate tomahawking, which it sounds like you did exactly that. And if you see something approaching that promises severe impact, try to steer around it (very hard to do). Avoid steep couloirs with death dealing choke points, especially if icy.
Funny, after I got turned around the first thing I thought of was “how can these poles help”. The only thing that came to mind was creating as much drag with them as possibly, but I used the whole poles and dragged them parallel to the fall line. Your recommendation would have been much better and something I could have done. However I would have had to let one pole go (no issues with that), then I could have easily slide my hand down to the basket and stab it into to slope. Sounds like a practice session. After your comment I found this online - self arrest

TS
A

AJB

Booting up
Skier
In that situation, you did good getting into a feet first position.
Planning ahead saves a little time an dependance on quick reflexes. Plan to roll over on your front side, throw away one pole and use both arms with leverage to drive your remaining pole into the snow, after you get to a feet first position. If your skis are still attached, keep them in the air. Surprisingly enough, once I had the plan under control, I never needed to use it.

If it's very steep and you have long radius skis you can pop back up on them after aligning them with the fall line. Popping back up works on straight SG skis; doesn't work on modern SL ski. I know this from experience.
110%, planning ahead for situations like this is no joke. I was lucky I was in open bowl no obstacles. Love the guidance as I could see exactly what you’re describing. Given the fall was a couple days ago and fresh in my mind, I replayed it with what you recommend and see how it would have worked. However, I wasn’t even thinking about popping up, at that speed. What was interesting was it felt like there was no “slow down” period rather fast slide then pretty sudden stop. Found this on self arrest with a ski pole.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi everyone,

Looking for peoples experience on how they were able to slow and stop a slide after a fall at speed. At Mammoth this past week on a steeper groomer (~35-38) and at speed ended up on back before I even knew what happened (still don’t know :) ) Slid for must have been 100 feet. Fell at speed and was able to rotate so head was uphill, and I kept skis up and edges away from fall line to avoid catching edge and going head over heals. Attempted to drag poles and arms but seemed to do little. Not sure if there was anything else I could have done other than let Mother Nature and Physics run their course. Thanks!

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do. You just enjoy the ride. Happened to me last week when trying to ski fat ski on an icy steep. Within 10 seconds after the fall (slip and slide more like) i realized I could do absolutely nothing, so just channeled my inner 10 years old me and slid to the bottom on my ass smiling and waving at the onlookers.

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
Going into a fall, I always try to end up facing uphill on my stomach and create as much friction as possible to slow down. If one of my skis is still attached, I just jam the edges into the slope.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Come to Taos and hang out with the expert in self arrest.

1711216876621.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting thread. In my younger days of skiing pretty much anything that would hold snow, I refused to do those kind of days without being dressed in "grippy" jacket and pants. Makes a huge difference.

Related topic for other somewhat older folks: Anybody remember "wet look" ski shells? Slippery as a greased door knob!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do, wore one at the start of a season until I discovered that wasn't a good idea.
afterward only wore it when not skiing - was a nice jacket.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep.

Years ago on Last Steep (I think) at CB. Entry was scraped to dirt so clever me decided to enter via trees. Next thing I knew I was tomahawking. Managed to get stomach down and head up. One pole gone the other flailing around like a propeller attached by strap. No way in hell to get to the pointy end. Picking up speed on my slick trousers, I remembered a video (poste on Epic no doubt) advising to slowly dig toes in. Nope! Tomahawking again. Only thing that stopped me abruptly was a soft mogul.

Slippery clothes are no bueno!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This makes for a great discussion. When I went to Jackson Hole's Steep-n-Deep Camp some 10+ years ago, we spent about a half hour on our first day being instructed in and practicing self arrest. This is definitely a subject to at least think through in detail before needing to execute in a situation like described in the OP. And while our actually practicing it on a steep slope felt a little silly, I'm glad we did it.

TS
A

AJB

Booting up
Skier
Yep.

Years ago on Last Steep (I think) at CB. Entry was scraped to dirt so clever me decided to enter via trees. Next thing I knew I was tomahawking. Managed to get stomach down and head up. One pole gone the other flailing around like a propeller attached by strap. No way in hell to get to the pointy end. Picking up speed on my slick trousers, I remembered a video (poste on Epic no doubt) advising to slowly dig toes in. Nope! Tomahawking again. Only thing that stopped me abruptly was a soft mogul.

Slippery clothes are no bueno!
Interesting thread. In my younger days of skiing pretty much anything that would hold snow, I refused to do those kind of days without being dressed in "grippy" jacket and pants. Makes a huge difference.

Related topic for other somewhat older folks: Anybody remember "wet look" ski shells? Slippery as a greased door knob!
Funny, once down and accelerating on my back, one thought in my head was damn this shell is slick!

Sponsor