• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2023

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Drive to Survive - February 24

I dunno if I want to be excited ... because no way have Netflix had as much material to work with, ever. Just Ferrari are good for what, three episodes if they do Monaco in depth? Red Bulls burning. Mercedes sidepods. Mercedes mirror struts. Porpoising. An episode just for driver silly season. An episode for team principal silly season. Suzuka needs its own episode. An episode around Alonso's frustration with Alpine, to include his flight time, contrasted with Ocon.

Or reserved because of course they're going to write their own 'stories' and give us extremely purple* edits.

*in the teleological, 20/20 hindsight, Survivor editing for outcome sense, not the cursing sense.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is anyone else totally turned off by the politicking?

I mean first the added teams sandbagging, then the F1 Marketing vs. FIA purchasing Twitter debacle, then the last minute rules changes back off, and now engine sponsor leaks before the livery render is revealed?

I mean if they were looking for ways to sour fans on the product ...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah the tit for tat between owners and FIA is ugly. They have contractual veto power on new teams..why would FIA try to pull rank? They knew they'd lose.. Just dumb. Or maybe any publicity is good publicity..

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ford returns to F1 via Red Bull powertrains. Supposedly it's more than just a branding/marketing exercise, with Ford being a "strategic partner" offering expertise in battery cell and motor development, combustion engines etc.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be Cosworth branded.

The irony is that this is the same team that Ford used to own as Jaguar Racing (after buying Stewart Grand Prix)

Reactions: BMC

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Somewhat unexpectedly, Honda have registered to be an engine supplier for 2026 onwards, alongside Alpine, Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes AMG, and Red Bull Ford. It's not binding them, but even registering at this point involves costs, so there's obviously some discussions going on that have been under wraps till now

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I see the president of the FIA has decided/was told he wouldn't be doing much anymore.. as three world turns..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see the president of the FIA has decided/was told he wouldn't be doing much anymore.. as three world turns..
1675912947775.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Somewhat unexpectedly, Honda have registered to be an engine supplier for 2026 onwards, alongside Alpine, Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes AMG, and Red Bull Ford. It's not binding them, but even registering at this point involves costs, so there's obviously some discussions going on that have been under wraps till now

Am I totally crazy for thinking McLaren might go back to Honda, nvm the VanDoorne/Alonso years?

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
And in other news, the Merc W14 emerged today. Lots of significant changes, but the zero-pod concept stays

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Red Bull presenting in New York...Alpine presenting in London? :ogcool::nono:

I mean, I'm sure they know where their likely sales will be coming from ... maybe.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have to say Ferrari's engine sounds so sweeeeet :thumb::thumb::thumb: but the rear wing looks like a 200m K1 sprint paddle and OMG that nose cover bubble

MCL kinky side pods ogsmile (mohel in training?)

I know RB's wing isn't all they wanted but with DRS it has the baddest evil clown grin of the lot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
All things considered..I get it's pre-season..MB can't be happy in 6th... Deja vu all over again..

Can I just say it right now? Everyone is gaga over MB's 'classic' livery... sorry but it doesn't work and the onboard proves it. The halo absolutely needs something in either Petronas or MB silver.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
People like carbon fiber color that much?

Sponsor

Staff online