• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frost bite pinkys

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Frosted up both my little toes yesterday. I guess 9 below ZERO is colder than I thought.

Now booth toes are red, swollen and sore. (no real blisters, just a suggestion)

I need to bee in ski boots again all day Monday. (holiday traffic, so I will be active!)

Today was miserable. What can I do to "heal quickly"?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t think there is an easy solution.

Borrow/Rent some loose boots and get some heated socks you will be at increased risk.

The other thing I would have looked at is poor circulation issues.

Take care and be safe.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I'm putting in the heaters this week end.

But the barn door was open and the cows are all out.....

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you seen your doctor? There’s a whole bunch of things to consider. Also do you have other complicating factors, eg diabetes? Here’s the Mayo site on it:

Of concern is once frostbitten there is a greater chance of recurrence. Also you need to heal. Above all be careful.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
recovery is what I'm in need of.

speedy recovery if possible.

symptoms and causes?............................... Too late!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Now booth toes are red, swollen and sore. (no real blisters, just a suggestion)

Best way to reduce the swelling is to elevate the feet. In other words: couch time, not ski time or at the very least stay off your feet as much as possible between now and when you next go skiing.

You might want to get your ski boots punched as well.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
An ounce of prevention..........

Sidas heaters are installed!

Now we won't get any cold days for the rest of the season ;-)

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Best way to reduce the swelling is to elevate the feet. In other words: couch time, not ski time or at the very least stay off your feet as much as possible between now and when you next go skiing.

You might want to get your ski boots punched as well.

It was always the plan to bring the boots home this week end and punch that sixth toe. The boots have been tight there since day one, with multiple punches and grinds already done.
The cold day just came at the wrong time, and I got caught out for too long a time span that morning.

New boots (wider lasts) with heaters are waiting with my pack. ;-)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
recovery is what I'm in need of.

speedy recovery if possible.

symptoms and causes?............................... Too late!
My friend......take care of yourself first screw the fast recover or else you’ll have to change your handle to “8-Toes”. :geek:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe a dr could prescribe some lotion or steroids or something to speed up the healing. How about some gentle warmth and movement to keep the blood moving and fixing the toes?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a dr could prescribe some lotion or steroids or something to speed up the healing. How about some gentle warmth and movement to keep the blood moving and fixing the toes?
There’s nothing a doctor can prescribe either topical or taken by mouth that will speed up the healing. Unless you’re the Wolverrine, it’s just going to take some time for the damaged tissue to heal. If you’re not careful and expose the toes to cold again you could do more damage and it could take longer to get better.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
.... or even lose them altogether, which in the long run may solve the boot fitting problem, but the short run will be brutal.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Brutal is right Paul. Loosing toes would be a last resort for sure.

A note.
After two days rest, and the past two ski days in boots, the blisters are reabsorbed/ gone, but the swelling and overall redness is increased ;-(
Hurts when I flex them too. But flexing is good for circulation. Right!

My son's wife mentioned at supper last evening that reduced extremity circulation was one of the lingering effects of Lyme disease. I had a wicked bad case of that this past summer.

I can't help but believe there is something to that. I grew up in North Dakota, and never froze toes or fingers. ( I did get mighty cold a few times though.) -10 is nothing! But now...? I ran the Sidas toe heaters today just to try them out. it was 14 F on the summit. The heaters felt OK. ;-)

Tomorrow is off, Christmas day .... I should be much healed by Thursday.

Sponsor

Staff online