• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mileage for the trip from Guelph to Parry Sound, improved to 30 miles/us gallon

This, now and forever, shall be your stated mileage when asked by friends, family, and people drooling overf your car at the gas station.

Where you'll hardly ever need to stop, since you get 30 mpg! :ogbiggrin:

I put the top down in Parry Sound, as the weather was nice there, but I had to put it up due to noise and my having already lost enough hearing. I'll have to get some ear-plugs for driving at 90+ kph.

An application for noise cancelling headphones, perhaps?

I know nothing of them except they seem popular.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spotted in the wild, on a big mtb ride today:

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

I'm not (yet, at least) a fan of EVs, but this looked really nice. Not a bad shuttle rig, at all!

But regardless of what powers it, the bed is too short for a pickup truck.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
An application for noise cancelling headphones, perhaps?

I know nothing of them except they seem popular.

Hah. Not really - and it's a weird problem.

One of the problems of NCHs is that they constantly have to adjust internal pressure, otherwise they can easily ratchet up and bust eardrums.

NCHs are great for steady state noises but when there is rapid pressure change or buffetting, the internal pressure compensator gets -very- laggy. Imagine a quiet but oscillating pressure on your ears, that isn't painful, quite, but could get there with the least bit of sinus congestion.

You're honestly better off installing mechanical wind deflectors into the headrest.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hah. Not really - and it's a weird problem.

One of the problems of NCHs is that they constantly have to adjust internal pressure, otherwise they can easily ratchet up and bust eardrums.

NCHs are great for steady state noises but when there is rapid pressure change or buffetting, the internal pressure compensator gets -very- laggy. Imagine a quiet but oscillating pressure on your ears, that isn't painful, quite, but could get there with the least bit of sinus congestion.

You're honestly better off installing mechanical wind deflectors into the headrest.
Or use ear plugs that are designed for musicians. They reduce ambient noise but don’t block all sound. Ear Peace is one brand.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Or use ear plugs that are designed for musicians. They reduce ambient noise but don’t block all sound. Ear Peace is one brand.
Either way, check local laws. In some states (don't know about Canada) it's illegal to drive with any type of ear plug or ear bud or headphone in/on your ears.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I rode with ear plugs for years. Most motorcycle helmets are rather noisy. You have to be vigilant but that's second nature anyway on the bike. I would have no problem using ear plugs. It may delay my eventual deafness..

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The wind noise could be quieter for my tastes, but it is also the tire noise, not from my Pilot 4S tires, but from the tires on the other cars/trucks/SUVs, especially the ones headed the other way when the highway changed back to two-lane blacktop. I seem to remember back in the day all cars had fairly quiet tires in summer, now with all the no-season and all-weather (to say nothing of the off-roaders) tires it's a lot worse.
I used to ride my bike with ear plugs - not afraid to risk the ticket; they are pretty hard to see from afar.

Last edited:

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I rode with ear plugs for years. Most motorcycle helmets are rather noisy. You have to be vigilant but that's second nature anyway on the bike. I would have no problem using ear plugs. It may delay my eventual deafness..
Huh? What's that you say? :)
40 years around jet engines has finally taken it's toll on my hearing too. Always wore ear protection.Some of it may be hereditary who knows?

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
The wind noise could be quieter for my tastes, but it is also the tire noise, not from my Pilot 4S tires, but from the tires on the other cars/trucks/SUVs, especially the ones headed the other way when the highway changed back to two-lane blacktop. I seem to remember back in the day all cars had fairly quite tires in summer, now with all the no-season and all-weather (to say nothing of the off-roaders) tires it's a lot worse.
I used to ride my bike with ear plugs - not afraid to risk the ticket; they are pretty hard to see from afar.
I have runflats on my C6, they are noisy but they will be good for another 10K miles or so. With my hearing and my spouses it can be comical in the Vette :)

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes, and it's $44K to get the GR Corolla LSDs. I'm afraid to see the upcoming Civic Type R pricing.

It's going to be interesting to see how durable these little engines will be that are putting out big power.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
This is a very nice build! Since we had mentioned the P1800 I thought some might enjoy this.

Reactions: Ogg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
HP is all that matters!

Nope. The sweet song of an inline 6 or V8!

I say torque and how the HP is delivered (at what RPM, tire grip) also matters! Though I, personally, couldn't care less about how it sounds. I've never understood people's fascination with that. Some sound better than others, but I don't actually care.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I say torque

Never thought you'd be in the 'No Replacement for Displacement' camp :D :D

and how the HP is delivered (at what RPM, tire grip) also matters!

Are you also in the traction management camp?

Though I, personally, couldn't care less about how it sounds. I've never understood people's fascination with that. Some sound better than others, but I don't actually care.

It's primal. If you don't get it now, there's little chance you ever will - though I do think people who work on cars are more conditioned to listen to them.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I say torque and how the HP is delivered (at what RPM, tire grip) also matters! Though I, personally, couldn't care less about how it sounds. I've never understood people's fascination with that. Some sound better than others, but I don't actually care.
- next time you're out walking and encounter "a real Porsche" stopped at a light, listen to the whistling purr of the engine both stopped at idle and as it goes, you'll get it.

Sponsor

Staff online