• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
First day of work and first fun car this year as I’m still healing from my collarbone displacement 3 months ago. Have so many regulars with new 2023 vehicles I thought I’d start working a few days a week again.

23 70th Anniversary C8 with Z51 package, mag ride, auto front bumper lift and only a couple weeks old. Customer still has an older Z06 and has had about 10 vettes over the years. Sounds awesome!
Polished and ceramic coated it.

View attachment 204276 View attachment 204277 View attachment 204278 View attachment 204279
The way to truly appreciate the sound of a Z51 performance exhaust is to floor it in 3rd at 2500 to 3000 rpm, and keep it floored until 6500 rpm; you get the sound change and a symphony with intake and other nice sounds. 2nd gear is too short.
PSA: Don't do that when passing an unmarked cop in a 50 mph zone.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have you had a thread on the collarbone?
No, as injury threads aren’t as fun as “crud buster” threads! Lol

The end of the first week of a 5 week trip on the very first run of the day I hit a blind roller on a freshly groomed run at Revelstoke in lower light. Almost saved it but then ran slightly off trail into a snow covered mogul field at 50mph. Felt a pop when I moved my arms and some pain but continued to ski a few more hours. Decided to call it a day and just chill at the hotel and was shocked when I saw an orange sized lump on my left chest at the end of the collarbone when I took off my shirt!
X-rays confirmed it was just dislodged and not broken. Was told I was lucky it didn’t go in as that can be very dangerous with all the blood vessels etc behind it. Was told it would just pop out if they tried to reset it and no sling or anything as it wasn’t broken. So “suck it up buttercup” basically. Lol
Actually looked much worse than it felt with the entire side covered in bruising for weeks.

So I just took one day off and skied with the help of Revelstoke Whisky and pain meds the next month. Honestly WAY WORSE getting in/out of bed and only starting sleeping on my side the last few weeks again. Of course I also had an ingrown toe nail that was acting up to add to it but had that redone while in Banff the last week. :doh:

Honestly barely noticed it yesterday until I stretch to do interior windows but much better than even a week or so ago.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The way to truly appreciate the sound of a Z51 performance exhaust is to floor it in 3rd at 2500 to 3000 rpm, and keep it floored until 6500 rpm; you get the sound change and a symphony with intake and other nice sounds. 2nd gear is too short.
PSA: Don't do that when passing an unmarked cop in a 50 mph zone.
The 23 C8 actually comes with a 4500 rev limit on them until you pass the 500 mile mark now! Has a warning light at 3500 and then a limit at 4500rpm.
Have heard others that have run into this too and at 500.5 miles, they could fully rev up.

Have you heard the new Z06 rev? Holy INSANE sounding!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First day of work and first fun car this year as I’m still healing from my collarbone displacement 3 months ago. Have so many regulars with new 2023 vehicles I thought I’d start working a few days a week again.

23 70th Anniversary C8 with Z51 package, mag ride, auto front bumper lift and only a couple weeks old. Customer still has an older Z06 and has had about 10 vettes over the years. Sounds awesome!
Polished and ceramic coated it.

View attachment 204276 View attachment 204277 View attachment 204278 View attachment 204279
How can you buy that and NOT get the red interior???

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if I ever posted the toys in here or not……. A couple of my 13’ 60th Anniversary 427 Convertible, a couple of the wife’s 19’ Stingray, and a couple of Kevin’s 05’.
IMG_2469.jpeg
IMG_2473.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg
IMG_0180.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5351.jpeg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
And this is why I'd never own an EV. Exhaust note is a big part of the fun factor of ICE-powered cars. If the stock sound isn't good enough, I spring for an aftermarket exhaust.
Same! Have lots of customers with Telsa(worst paint, carpet and fit and finish by a mile and hate doing them), Audi and Porsche electric cars and only the Porsche Taycan Turbo S is the only one even remotely tempting.
That’s until I hear the Taycan owners GT 3, GT 4 or 911 Turbo S start up and I forget all about them…..

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 23 C8 actually comes with a 4500 rev limit on them until you pass the 500 mile mark now! Has a warning light at 3500 and then a limit at 4500rpm.
Have heard others that have run into this too and at 500.5 miles, they could fully rev up.
A rev limit for the first 500 miles is such a great idea. It not only helps future owners but also new car buyers if it has more than a few miles on it.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A rev limit for the first 500 miles is such a great idea. It not only helps future owners but also new car buyers if it has more than a few miles on it.
Yes! You see so many “Dealer demo” or “private sale” cars with super low mileage that may have been abused like a rental car the first 500 miles. Now you can be sure it hasn’t been.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you heard the new Z06 rev? Holy INSANE sounding!!

An impressive shriek for sure, but not really my cup of tea.

I suspect the OG vettes posted by @PisteOff sound a lot better in terms of that classic V8 sound.

Yes, Jeff, that is an invitation to post a sound clip or two! :ogbiggrin:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. I didn’t know my wife was filming this a few days ago or I would’ve buried it. This is a just a little 3K tickler.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The standard C8 engine has a more similar exhaust tone to previous Vettes and there’s already a ton of aftermarket mufflers to adjust to taste if you don’t love the factory one.

This is what the factory Z51 Performance Exhaust sounds like my customer has.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. I didn’t know my wife was filming this a few days ago or I would’ve buried it. This is a just a little 3K tickler.

Love it! Not saying one sound is "better" than another, but that's my sound, and I'm sure a big part is that it brings back youthful memories.

Some of which might best not be re-lived.....

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love it! Not saying one sound is "better" than another, but that's my sound, and I'm sure a big part is that it brings back youthful memories.

Some of which might best not be re-lived.....
I double pressed the pedal on that too, there’s no hesitation in her. She really howls once you get past 4500. Now the wife’s has a more aggressive and loud sound that’s got some crack and pop to it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at an HPDE event this past weekend and my car broke:
281CBB28-CBE9-492A-BC83-8B8B0FBB87BE.jpeg

Coolant leak that thankfully did not start on the track but noted after I parked back I the garage. Turns out to be the failure of a $10 part, but nobody had a replacement and would have been difficult to fix without a lift. A good friend let me take out his car for a couple of sessions:
6F5EFA1C-4544-4ED0-B049-7D222AF6320A.jpeg

Same model as mine, one year newer, but is a full blown race car (GTB1 class). And wow! As Will Smith said in Independence Day when he first flew the alien craft: “I have GOT to get me one of these!”

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It has been a long time since I've sent the green yellow orange red violet blue colors of the early Apple logo out and about.

IMG_20230528_222306114.jpg

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When a track day is ruined by a $10 part, I'd call that a win.

You know, as opposed to a blown engine...... ;)
Absolutely. I had just finished my third run on the first day - each was thirty minutes. I was feeling pretty good about my driving on the track as well. And just when I was feeling a little sorry for myself, someone in a BMW did blow an engine. Perspective helps for sure. The interesting thing is that while we were unable to jury rig a fix to the leak that day the area under the car was dry for the next two days. I didn’t chance taking it out on the track, but I did run on the skid pad and then drove around town to test things out (my car, while modified, is still street legal). Still didn’t leak. It gave me enough confidence to drive it the 70 miles to my mechanic’s place of business. Of course, I brought a gallon of coolant with me and some snacks in case the car overheated on the way and I had to wait for AAA. Hopefully all will be rectified this week.

This was my third mechanical issue in 3 years. Maybe not the best testimony for Porsche, but all issues were with parts that might be expected to wear out after 13 years (Unless you are tracking a Toyota Corolla I guess). I do want to give a shout out to the group that I run with - the Northeast Region of PCA. I have been running with them for several years and have made a lot of good friends through these events. One guy who owns a shop in Maine (Aaron Murphy) took a look at my car, went out to pick up some coolant and parts to try and jury rig a repair, worked on the car and refused any money for his time. Another offered to sacrifice some of his own track time and trailer my car to the mechanic. And, for good measure, I was able to converse with my mechanic (Tim Kachel - owner of KMC auto in Lawerence,MA) over Memorial Day weekend.

Sponsor

Staff online