• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Give Ski Advice in Five Words or Less

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Posted in the Aspen Gathering thread..

Low Tide is No Ride.

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
TGIF - toes go in first

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
"All skis are rock skis."
I still remember my first day skiing my brand-new bright yellow Salomon X-Screams (about 1998, after many years making fun of "wide" skis), Cat-skiing at Irwin (near Crested Butte) when our guide casually mentioned that we'd need to side-step on our skis through a nasty rock band to reach the powdery goods beyond.

It's untracked for a reason.
Someday I hope to learn to listen to this advice, neglecting it has tripped me up and gouged my skis plenty of times. Especially in the Cirque and portions of the Hanging Valley Wall at Snowmass. Those rocks are very sneaky and very sharp, a rare instance when it might be better to let your ski-buddy go first.

Lots of good quips and tips above, far more than I can remember on any particular turn, though.

An early-December Cirque photo, taken from near the top of Upper Green Cabin, off High Alpine lift (well before Cirque terrain opened for the season). Even in great-snow years, there are still ridges exposed by wind and rocks just 1" shorter than the snow depth.
1635540570215.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Once again I am gong to break the 5 word rule because the advise is worth it. And who doesn't like breaking the rules.

Be it on vacation or for the season, never stay at a place that gets more snow than where you are skiing.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Sponsor

Staff online