• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggles with Blue Base Tint

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone - looking for some help : my daughter has a type of dyslexia and wears blue tinted glasses to help her read - they stop weird movements in the text. When she is skiing in flat light conditions she also gets weird effects and she has found that the blue tint really helps. So, I am trying to find goggles with a blue base tint, preferably in a low light lens. There are loads of “blue tinted” goggles out there but they all seem to have either a yellow or rose base tint (ie the world looks yellow/pink when you look through them). Does anybody know of a goggle brand that does a lens with a blue base tint? I think Scott might have done a while ago and I also thought POC did some for racing (might have been night racing goggles) but I can’t seem to find either now. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Smith has a Blue Sensor lens….
Thanks but this is a good case in point - it has a light rose base tint. The mirror or top layer tint is blue so the lens looks blue from the front but when you look through it the actual tint is rose.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Years ago POC made both a double and single lens in a v pale / light blue which fit their race google frame ( Iris) .
I found that lens beat all the yellow, rose, etc colored lenses in flat light. For whatever reason they just seemed to give me much better resolution of the snow contours. In fact, on storm days I still pull out an old pair to use despite several pairs of the latest and greatest from Oakley and POC filling up my gear bag.
You might find some NOS of the IRIS with that lens at some of the shops which cater to racers and which have been around for a while.
Alternatively; contact POC . BTW , I find their current low light lens which has a blueish rose tint ( comes stock in Fovea comp), while not as effective as the old light blue IRIS lens, isn’t half bad

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Years ago POC made both a double and single lens in a v pale / light blue which fit their race google frame ( Iris) .
I found that lens beat all the yellow, rose, etc colored lenses in flat light. For whatever reason they just seemed to give me much better resolution of the snow contours. In fact, on storm days I still pull out an old pair to use despite several pairs of the latest and greatest from Oakley and POC filling up my gear bag.
You might find some NOS of the IRIS with that lens at some of the shops which cater to racers and which have been around for a while.
Alternatively; contact POC . BTW , I find their current low light lens which has a blueish rose tint ( comes stock in Fovea comp), while not as effective as the old light blue IRIS lens, isn’t half bad
Thanks for this. I will have a scout around. Taking a look at the POC website they have a base tint they call Violet which must be the blueish rose one you mention. It looks interesting as it might give a similar effect.

Last edited:

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sweet Protection has a lens called Aquamarine, looks to me to have a pure blue tint. Worth looking into.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Angus Grizzly - You want to find the Anon goggles with the Silver Fade Blue lens. It’s one of the few with a blue base.

Here’s the description from the catalog: The blue base tint reduces glare in bright sunlight without being too dark, while the silver mirror fade applied to the top of the lens provides added protection from direct sunlight. 40% VLT

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Sweet Protection has a lens called Aquamarine, looks to me to have a pure blue tint. Worth looking into.
Thanks. It looks hopeful but with a VLT of 12% it might be a bit dark for flat light. Hmmm….

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
@Angus Grizzly - You want to find the Anon goggles with the Silver Fade Blue lens. It’s one of the few with a blue base.

Here’s the description from the catalog: The blue base tint reduces glare in bright sunlight without being too dark, while the silver mirror fade applied to the top of the lens provides added protection from direct sunlight. 40% VLT
Thanks. These look really good and with a VLT of 40% could well work. Now need to find someone with some in stock. Cheers.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks but this is a good case in point - it has a light rose base tint. The mirror or top layer tint is blue so the lens looks blue from the front but when you look through it the actual tint is rose.
The old Smith Red Sensor had a blue tint and it was a low light lens.
They used to publish the light transmission curves, we had a pretty good list on epicski. But god forbid we get any real info these days as opposed to babbling athletes jumping cliffs.

I want to say Uvex had one too.

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
The old Smith Red Sensor had a blue tint and it was a low light lens.
They used to publish the light transmission curves, we had a pretty good list on epicski. But god forbid we get any real info these days as opposed to babbling athletes jumping cliffs.

I want to say Uvex had one too.
Thanks. I’ll check that out. I know what you mean…I would have thought the base tint would be a pretty key piece of info for a lens but it is very hard/impossible to get the info on some of the major company’s websites.

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
upper & lower vents are generally open on mtb, not to mention mtb goggles are single layer lens.
Thanks. You’re right. I took a look at some online and although there are quite a few blue base lenses I think the single lens might be an issue. Cheers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks. You’re right. I took a look at some online and although there are quite a few blue base lenses I think the single lens might be an issue. Cheers.

FWIW, we use single lens goggles for night skiing for most of the season. One advantage they have is less comatic distortion - points of light are not distorted into comets or spread into star shapes.

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
FWIW, we use single lens goggles for night skiing for most of the season. One advantage they have is less comatic distortion - points of light are not distorted into comets or spread into star shapes.
Good to know, thanks. They might be ok for low/flat light then.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I might be able to dig up one of the old Scott blues. IIRC the lens wasn't particularly high quality, but if I do, you'd be welcome to them for whatever experiments you wish to run.

Sponsor

Staff online