• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good used ski

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
In Phil's Garage sale forum, there is a pair of 170 Head Rally Supershapes for $425 plus shipping. Length is correct for your needs, bindings easily adjustable for your boot size, you should not need a complete re-mount. Blue Mountain is my Pa home and they would be great there or anyplace in the Pocono area. Forget about powder skiing in Pa., the mountain trails are so small that powder disappears as soon as it snows. Carving skis rule in Pa.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In Phil's Garage sale forum, there is a pair of 170 Head Rally Supershapes for $425 plus shipping. Length is correct for your needs, bindings easily adjustable for your boot size, you should not need a complete re-mount. Blue Mountain is my Pa home and they would be great there or anyplace in the Pocono area. Forget about powder skiing in Pa., the mountain trails are so small that powder disappears as soon as it snows. Carving skis rule in Pa.
I also think of Blue Mountain as my home base because it is one of the closest location with good conditions and terrain. They also give me the over 70 season pass.

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
Thanks very much, on my flight back to Philly now I'll look as soon as I get home. Appreciate it

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski Essentials just posted 2021 Demos on sale today. They can often be better bang for buck than used. Basically new in terms of use year, Priced like used, but less wear and tear. Regularly tuned as well.

A quick view for your specs and max price (keeping it under $600 or less) suggest the following (I agree with the comments on price relative to long-term value and personally would recommend you consider going longer a tad longer than 170 (maybe up 182 even though that might be a bit too much) if you plan to grow with the skis at your height):

K2 Disruption 78
Head V-Shape V10 (I love this ski, demoed in AZ snowbowl once. Very fun)
Volkl Deacon 79
Rossi Experience 84
and Maybe Kastle FX 86
*Note - you have to add to anything you buy $30-$40 to have your bindings set to your ski ability. Also, if used, a ski might have to be redrilled to your foot. a demo binding can be set to you (Still need din check though)

There's a lot of other great options on that list, but they start going over $599.

Also, simply search Ski Essentials (Click on Killer Deals link) for 2020 or earlier new skis with bindings. I find them to be some of the best priced...and if you call them direct, they might drop another 10% or more especially since they just had 20% off last year blowout sale.

You might be able to pick up new skis for under $500 with bindings if they offer you a 20% discount on previous years. I picked up Kastle 89s for $550 all in (off of $1100 new).

Best of luck to you!

Uncle-A

Skier
Ski Essentials just posted 2021 Demos on sale today. They can often be better bang for buck than used. Basically new in terms of use year, Priced like used, but less wear and tear. Regularly tuned as well.

A quick view for your specs and max price (keeping it under $600 or less) suggest the following (I agree with the comments on price relative to long-term value and personally would recommend you consider going longer a tad longer than 170 (maybe up 182 even though that might be a bit too much) if you plan to grow with the skis at your height):

K2 Disruption 78
Völkl Deacon 79
Rossi Experience 84
and Maybe Kästle FX 86
*Note - you have to add to anything you buy $30-$40 to have your bindings set to your ski ability. Also, if used, a ski might have to be redrilled to your foot. a demo binding can be set to you (Still need din check though)

There's a lot of other great options on that list, but they start going over $599.

Also, simply search Ski Essentials (Click on Killer Deals link) for 2020 or earlier new skis with bindings. I find them to be some of the best priced...and if you call them direct, they might drop another 10% or more especially since they just had 20% off last year blowout sale.

You might be able to pick up new skis for under $500 with bindings if they offer you a 20% discount on previous years. I picked up Kästle 89s for $550 all in (off of $1100 new).

Best of luck to you!
The Head V10 has a good reputation. I think 182 is a little long for the OP that is only 175 LBS.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Head V10 has a good reputation. I think 182 is a little long for the OP that is only 175 LBS.
The V10 was sure fun. The brand is great as well.

Maybe. shorter is better early on, but he could grow into it longer over time if he really wants to keep it for a while. I'm 6'2 and 175 and won't ever go under 180 again if I don't have to. I am at best, an advanced skier, but like fast and don't like chatter, so maybe that's why I prefer longer.

Uncle-A

Skier
The V10 was sure fun. The brand is great as well.

Maybe. shorter is better early on, but he could grow into it longer over time if he really wants to keep it for a while. I'm 6'2 and 175 and won't ever go under 180 again if I don't have to. I am at best, an advanced skier, but like fast and don't like chatter, so maybe that's why I prefer longer.
The OP is in the mid 50's age group and I think that the fun would be reduced by a longer ski and maybe slow the progression of his reaching an advanced level. The 170 will continue to deliver after he has advanced and will still be fun to ski.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I'm 6'0, 175 and I boots are 11 (I also recall that I have 328 stamped on bottom)

Your boots are size 28.5
Unless your street shoes are size 11.5+ you should be shopping for new boots. There is a lot of info here on shopping for boots and how they should fit.

If you are willing to consider race skis, always consider what @ScotsSkier has, and listen to his advice at what he suggests.

I agree but with your current skill set, you're not going to have a good time on race skis.

As mentioned on another post, fewer than 10% of skiers know how to carve. It is great fun but takes a lot of skill and practice, skill that has nothing to do with green-blue-black terrain. I'm guessing you are in the 90+%. If you want to learn to carve, get a carving ski and take some lessons, work on your skills, do daily drills, etc. If you want to skid around (they call it a "brushed carve" at Deer Valley) like most people, get something more forgiving. These are often identifiable by their rounded tails and described as "finesse" skis (vs. power skis).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
These are often identifiable by their rounded tails and described as "finesse" skis (vs. power skis).

Loved the PC-ness and inclusion with definition/application of the terms "finesse" and "power". Must be hanging out with Hogan. :ogcool:

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier

K2 Disruption 78
Völkl Deacon 79
Rossi Experience 84
and Maybe Kästle FX 86

You might be able to pick up new skis for under $500 with bindings if they offer you a 20% discount on previous years. I picked up Kästle 89s for $550 all in (off of $1100 new).

Best of luck to you!
Thanks very much, going to look now

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
The OP is in the mid 50's age group and I think that the fun would be reduced by a longer ski and maybe slow the progression of his reaching an advanced level. The 170 will continue to deliver after he has advanced and will still be fun to ski.
And thanks again for input, I'm not real sure I will ever want to ski super fast as that an injury at my age takes longer to recover from. But I do want to be able to carve easily down atleast single blacks

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
And thanks again for input, I'm not real sure I will ever want to ski super fast as that an injury at my age takes longer to recover from. But I do want to be able to carve easily down atleast single blacks
You should consider the Enforcer 93 in a 177. It just so happens posted a pair just now that are mounted with Attack 14 bindings that should fit your BSL of 328

You should check them out as this is a super all mountain ski that can go at any speed you want and is also great on groomers as well as off piste. It is also only $250 :)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You should consider the Enforcer 93 in a 177. It just so happens posted a pair just now that are mounted with Attack 14 bindings that should fit your BSL of 328

You should check them out as this is a super all mountain ski that can go at any speed you want and is also great on groomers as well as off piste. It is also only $250 :)
Shameless self promotion...I like it. :roflmao:That's a great deal but not sure if it's the best option for east coast groomers.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier

This is a very good price and a good length to not just use now, but grow into. The only issue is 93 under foot. I would be cool with it, but OP I believe is using it east coast.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Being too long doesn't mean you'll go to fast; that's up to the driver. The key is just to learn your style first. No ski will be perfect, but I still do think 170 is too short. I would stir toward that 177 range discussed elsewhere.

Sponsor

Staff online