• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goodrich v Alterra Mountain Company Settlement

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The point is, everyone was in the same boat.
Respectfully have to agree to disagree.

Not everyone had the option to close. Receiving $10 is a slap in the face to those who kept the mountain towns open / safe / operational.

Plenty of local ppl were in our position & being told to ‘suck it up buttercup’ is exactly the divisive speech that fosters resentment from those who supported the communities & those who joined our communities.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know @AKMINK didn't get her money's worth on her IKON that year, but she was more concerned with the pandemic than she was getting another couple days.

Meanwhile, I received this in an email today.
:yahoo::yeah:
View attachment 179736
Mine and Shamora's arrived yesterday.

FWLIW, I got plenty of days on my Ikon Pass that year. That was the Jackson Gathering, and I did a road trip to Big Sky, then Jackson for the Gathering, picked up Shamora in SLC and had a few days at Deer Valley and then back to Big Sky again before heading home. A few other stops not on Ikon as well. Before that I had about 12 days at local resorts on Ikon. Yes, I would have skied even more without the Covid shutdown, but I got my money's worth, with or without the extra $10 credit I may now receive.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Something @Pequenita mentioned on her FB post....the compensation is not great. It got me thinking about the strike at Tremblant. After it was resolved, all season pass holders got a $250 gift card to use at the resort. Food in the cafeterias, clothes in the stores etc. So a little better than $10, but there also would not have the number of people that Ikon has to deal with.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
View attachment 179735
As I have yet to be compensated for Alterra using my pics ( & the distress of hundreds of ppl texting / emailing me grief over my outfit selection ), I am proposing everyone skiing on Ikon owes me a beer for helping keep operating costs down.

The fact that someone that skis this well likes Moment skis makes me feel better about like moments.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
We skied 55 days that season when the world shut down. We had another 60 days planned. We had no issues what so ever with Altera shutting down early considering the world was going to hell in s hand basket.
There are more important things to agonize over in life.

The big money for us was in pre-paid lodging. We got credit for all of it.
We are still alive and well. All things considered, things worked out Even at a pitiful 55 days
KG, at a pitiful 55 days, you should be high on the list for compensation. You and Ms kg both got fleeced out of 60 days.
A compensation claim like this could add some levity to this class action suit.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah $10 that I won't see. As it happens I didn't really lose any days though maybe would have squeezed some Euro days late season in a hypothetical world.

I understand the gripe for those that bought passes on the expectation they'd do 100+ days to be cut off at 50 or whatever but that's never going to garner much sympathy from the average joe - so your skiing cost $16 per day rather than your expected $8. Boo hoo!

I really don't think anyone can blame ski cos for pulling the plug. It was globally the definition of an unprecedented situation. And to pay out on the basis of unexpired days of the season would be ludicrous given that the season was already tipping into Spring wind down.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I understand the gripe for those that bought passes on the expectation they'd do 100+ days to be cut off at 50 or whatever but that's never going to garner much sympathy from the average joe - so your skiing cost $16 per day rather than your expected $8. Boo hoo!
I don't think any of us are...
I really don't think anyone can blame ski cos for pulling the plug. It was globally the definition of an unprecedented situation. And to pay out on the basis of unexpired days of the season would be ludicrous given that the season was already tipping into Spring wind down.
I don't think they should either, but they obviously are. Plus the fact that it was not their decision to close, it was thrust upon them.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I get $10 off next years Ikon Pass, and the lawyers get 2.8 million dollars….:nono:
All because ski hills shut down through no fault of their own.

And, I am pretty sure Ikon discounted the 20/21 passes more than $50. They should have just called that a ‘credit’ and ’reimbursement for missed days’, and saved 2.8 million, plus however much their own legal fees were.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

Yet what you are purchasing is not a fixed number of days, yet access. Many folks purchased for spring trips and such. We lost 2 weeks at Tremblant, the AirBnB cost plus end of season Mammoth / Killington March to June. What we got was Ikon vibing on the mtn lifestyle and couple thousand extra ppl in my backyard.

Access went out the window & Ikon has ridden the wave for the last 2+ years.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yet what you are purchasing is not a fixed number of days, yet access. Many folks purchased for spring trips and such.
Ikon had absolutely no control in being told to shut down. It was like an act of nature and having to shut down for lack of snow, out of their control.
We lost 2 weeks at Tremblant, the AirBnB cost plus end of season Mammoth / Killington March to June.
Sounds like your beef is with AirBandB.
What we got was Ikon vibing on the mtn lifestyle and couple thousand extra ppl in my backyard.
Please expand, I don't understand this.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The people in your town or the fact that your job wasn't furloughed or not necessary isn't Alterra's fault. I get it - your fact pattern meant you lost out on a lot of planned usage but I could have claimed the same without really missing out at all

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
So, I get $10 off next years Ikon Pass, and the lawyers get 2.8 million dollars….:nono:
That's typical of class action. Each individual gets a small settlement that often requires putting in some cash, but the lawyers get big money in cash.
Maybe 20 years ago I was in a class action against one of those record clubs that used to send a couple of CDs every month. The settlement was something like a coupn for couple of CDs for each member, but the lawyers got $$$$$. The judge told the lawyers they would have to take their fee in the coupons or renegotiate.I don't remember how it ended, but I didn't get a coupon..I thought that was pretty funny.

dm

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I got a notice that I am in the class, but really, what was my loss? Even if I had a couple of weeks vacation planned (I didn't), it's still a small part of the losses almost almost all of us have suffered and continues to experience from the whole pandemic. Except for the people who post here, how many of the millions of Ikon holders ski after mid-March? How do you even value their losses?
OTOH Alterra should have just settled this with discounts on future passes. They probably could have given free passes for anyone who could document a lost spring trip. That would be a big payoff but for very few people, and it would have knocked the class action out of the water. As it is now, the small settlement most will get will only cause resentment more than satisfy anyone.

dm

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What about the people that really lost out and got screwed? The poor employees that got furloughed and in some cases thrown out of their accommodations? Shouldn’t they get compensated before the idle rich that can afford season passes and air band b and, gasp, get vacations? Time for another class action ……. :popcorn:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Something @Pequenita mentioned on her FB post....the compensation is not great. It got me thinking about the strike at Tremblant. After it was resolved, all season pass holders got a $250 gift card to use at the resort. Food in the cafeterias, clothes in the stores etc. So a little better than $10, but there also would not have the number of people that Ikon has to deal with.

It's not truly a compensation and we should really stop thinking about it that way. It's purely a sweetener to make future purchasers more likely to re-up next season. Viewed that way, the sweetener scale makes complete sense: the people who only got 1 or 2 days are by far the least likely to renew, and it makes sense to spend marketing budget to net them. The multiday users are already deep in the net.

And let's not kid ourselves, outside of the lawyer fees, this is all a marketing write-off. Imagine if they balance this out by scaling back packet swag when the passes are delivered. 10 seasons of no random-letter magnetic kiddie puzzles? Done!

Again, there is no actual compensation here. This is about incentive for renewals - and if there hadn't been a suit in law, something similar would likely have been invented by the marketing department.

(This might be the only time I defend corporate America over consumers).

If pass purchasers actually made a contractual commitment to ski a minimal number of days, and faced pass cost penalties for not meeting those minimums, that would be super-interesting from a revenue interdependence standpoint.

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
What about the people that really lost out and got screwed? The poor employees that got furloughed and in some cases thrown out of their accommodations? Shouldn’t they get compensated before the idle rich that can afford season passes and air band b and, gasp, get vacations? Time for another class action …….
Ikon had absolutely no control in being told to shut down. It was like an act of nature and having to shut down for lack of snow, out of their control.

Please expand, I don't understand this.

Where ya stand depends on where ya sit. If you are a healthcare provider or medical professional in the mtns, you are likely only here for the skiing - there's not much else here & its the reason you can't recruit here. Ask @Yo Momma ; you expect to have tradeoffs, but you live in the mountains.

What we got was thousands of extra ppl to be responsible for, no lift served skiing and they banned skining that spring plus a housing vacuum. So now it's even harder to get professionals to move here, but we should "suck it up....buttercup" ; I personally know the folks in the Hospitals and Emergency Departments here - they have been sucking it up for 3 years at this point.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where ya stand depends on where ya sit.
So, now that you moved there, no one else can? ;) I remember when my in-laws moved there, unless you were 3-4th generation, you were still not a local.
If you are a healthcare provider or medical professional in the mtns, you are likely only here for the skiing - there's not much else here & its the reason you can't recruit here. Ask @Yo Momma ; you expect to have tradeoffs, but you live in the mountains.

What we got was thousands of extra ppl to be responsible for, no lift served skiing and they banned skining that spring. So now it's even harder to get professionals to move here, but we should "suck it up....buttercup" ; I personally know the folks in the Hospitals and Emergency Departments here - they have been sucking it up for 3 years at this point.
Again, how is that Alterra's fault?

Vermont also had an incentive for people to move to there. We have seen an influx in Reno as with every area w/in 300 miles from a major city which is not much different than what happened in Vermont.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the bright side for those folks, the settlement is structured to favor people who used their passes once or twice before the season shut down. The amount of credit towards a pass or voucher gets silly if the pass was used 5 or more times.
We used ours 8 days, lost out on 5 or 6. So not in a good spot for either settlement, lol.

But we got full refund for all the cancelled trip related costs, so we came out OK.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online