• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel/Road Tires?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Review to come but the new Panaracer Gravelking SS (semi slick) tire is pretty fantastic. A cross between the slick and the SK, The SS is fast rolling like the slick but has some of the SKs small sidewall lugs. The rounded shape of the SS keeps the lugs off the road surface until the gravel/dirt gets loose or you lean the bike over. I rode them. 60 miles this weekend and I feel these are best tires to date For CO mixed riding. I had them on regular chip n seal road to hardpacked dirt to grade 3 large rocks with loose sand to a 10% climb in loose moon dust. These tires handled it all with confidence. I am running the 38’s on 23c wheels. They inflated to just under 41mm at 50psi but I run them on mixed at 42r/40f. They weigh a respectable 410 grams. they have a nice soft ride to them with decent suppleness.
CAF71FBB-DE38-4CBC-8C02-F5838129EDBB.jpeg

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Review to come but the new Panaracer Gravelking SS (semi slick) tire is pretty fantastic. A cross between the slick and the SK, The SS is fast rolling like the slick but has some of the SKs small sidewall lugs. The rounded shape of the SS keeps the lugs off the road surface until the gravel/dirt gets loose or you lean the bike over. I rode them. 60 miles this weekend and I feel these are best tires to date For CO mixed riding. I had them on regular chip n seal road to hardpacked dirt to grade 3 large rocks with loose sand to a 10% climb in loose moon dust. These tires handled it all with confidence. I am running the 38’s on 23c wheels. They inflated to just under 41 at 50psi but I run them on mixed at 42r/40f. They weigh a respectable 410 grams. they have a nice soft ride to them with decent suppleness. View attachment 111487
PanaRacer makes great tires period. I just mounted the SK (38 mm) on a pair of the new Shimano GRX tubeless gravel wheel set. The wheel set is phenomenal, 22 mm internal width with a really nice hub. Rode them today on New England mixed terrain which means paved road, dirt walking paths, and rocky/rooty hiking trails.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the Challenge Gravel Grinder's are a bit more supple but the SS's have a better overall shape and expanded about 1.5mm more so they have a more voluminous feel when rolling. I feel there's a noticeable increase in Cush once you go over 39mm. these were just under 41mm. for more rides with more gravel miles, I will run them around 35psi

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone here tried Rene Herse tires? I hear they are pretty good, made in the same factory as Panaracers.
Wonder if there is any difference between the slick Gravelkings and RHs as the price difference is quite significant.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yep, they are a pain in the ass to get them to hold air tubeless. And no one should be running tubes on gravel. the ultra-lights are super supple and roll very well but they were just too much trouble. I had them blow off my rims a couple of times at about 50 PSI when setting them up and the sidewall weeping goes on for about 2-3 days.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had them blow off my rims a couple of times at about 50 PSI when setting them up and the sidewall weeping goes on for about 2-3 days.

That does not sound too good. Were they hookless rims by chance?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'm done with Schwalbe G-One tires. Just not enough sidewall for my purposes (see plugging thread for funny story: https://www.pugski.com/threads/tire-plugs.20482/#post-521712)

I just love the Bontrager LT2s. A bit heavier, a bit slower, but BOMB-PROOF! Sadly, they have been discontinued, but I'm sure I'll find something once I run through my stash.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
those seem like overkill for gravel riding unless you are riding on some seriously sharp, nasty stuff.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I ride a mountain bike on stuff like that if its going to be my primary riding surface. Thats why god created Fox forks. :) YMMV but I dont enjoy getting pummeled. Personally, I would go 650b and as wide as I could.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's not primary or I would too - the problem is when you get 1 or 2 mile creekside stretches like that in between faster zones.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
It's not primary or I would too - the problem is when you get 1 or 2 mile creekside stretches like that in between faster zones.

I do. I ride carefully through it. we dont have sharp flint though. More like large gravel and river rock with loose sand. its kind of like riding on a river bed. I dont run sidewall protection. If you are finding you are flatting, look at something with a protection belt/re-inforced sidewalls. the New Gravelking SS comes in their + versions with reinforced sidewalls as does the GK SK's.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I do. I ride carefully through it. we dont have sharp flint though. More like large gravel and river rock with loose sand. its kind of like riding on a river bed. I dont run sidewall protection. If you are finding you are flatting, look at something with a protection belt/re-inforced sidewalls. the New Gravelking SS comes in their + versions with reinforced sidewalls as does the GK SK's.

Since late July I've been doing the opposite - run as light a casing as I possibly can and then run an TA insert inside it - this is why I asked about the G-Ones. The only issue is getting the insert to sit straight - not as trivial as they make it sound and requires some pressure hacking in the first few rides. I've had one sidewall blowout during one of those high pressure rolls but that's on me.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
got about 140 on the Gravelking SS's. cant say enough about how much I like these. theres a hill I use to I test roll down speed, on the Challenge Gravelgrinders I would get about 38.5 mph, on the Bontrager G1's about the same, maybe a tad lower, on the GK SS's, it was 41.3 today. they need more miles to really break them.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a road ride this past weekend - 63 miles on my gravel king + (32 mm) - mounted on Hollowgram wheels on my gravel bike - it was almost like riding my road bike. Panaracer makes great tires.

ncmallery

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My bike came with wtb riddler's 38mm they were ok. I have since switched to 42 mm resolute in the front and 40mm venture in the rear. This set up has worked really well for me but I have been thinking of switching wheels to 650b to be able to clear 47mm tires.

Sponsor