• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Raptor WCR 120 - Any thoughts?

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Hello,

I am a skier who is learning high-performance skiing and I'd like to get a pair of new boots. I tried Head Raptor WCR 140S PRO in a local store, they fit perfectly but the Flex is too stiff for me (34 yr male, 171cm 70kg). So I am thinking about WCR 120. However local stores say they can't even preorder because the season is ending. The only way to buy it is online stores... I have a couple of questions before I place the order:

1. Does WCR 120 have the same shape/fitting as WCR 140S?
2. Is it possible to replace the buckles with Spineflex (the one used on Head Flex130+ boots)?

Some interesting facts:
I am currently wearing Salomon S/Pro 120, last 100mm. The stiffness is fine but they are too roomy in warm weather (0 celsius degree+). I didn't put racing boots on my list in the first place because I was worried about comfortability. However, I feel Raptor WCR 140S is even more comfortable than Formula 130RS. They are just more difficult to put on. But after my feet get in place, everything seems so natural and secure. Formula 130RS creates a pain spot on my talus, which Formula 120RS and WCR 140S don't.

Thank you for any advice!

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Don't know but in Head website under description - last it says they both use
RS 1800cc last.

But then again, Formula 130RS also uses the RS 1800cc last. So if that boot causes you pain, the on-paper last model is probably not a good indicator of real life feel.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hello,

I am a skier who is learning high-performance skiing and I'd like to get a pair of new boots. I tried Head Raptor WCR 140S PRO in a local store, they fit perfectly but the Flex is too stiff for me (34 yr male, 171cm 70kg). So I am thinking about WCR 120. However local stores say they can't even preorder because the season is ending. The only way to buy it is online stores... I have a couple of questions before I place the order:

2. Is it possible to replace the buckles with Spineflex (the one used on Head Flex130+ boots)?

Some interesting facts:
I am currently wearing Salomon S/Pro 120, last 100mm. The stiffness is fine but they are too roomy in warm weather (0 celsius degree+). I didn't put racing boots on my list in the first place because I was worried about comfortability. However, I feel Raptor WCR 140S is even more comfortable than Formula 130RS. They are just more difficult to put on. But after my feet get in place, everything seems so natural and secure. Formula 130RS creates a pain spot on my talus, which Formula 120RS and WCR 140S don't.

Thank you for any advice!

1. Yes. Same.

2. Yes, but the dealer will need to order the parts on your dime, and they aren't necessary. Several Head athletes don't use the spine flex buckles.

The 120 and 140 boot lugs are different. The 120 has a replaceable soles, the 140 does not that I recall.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Don't know but in Head website under description - last it says they both use
RS 1800cc last.

But then again, Formula 130RS also uses the RS 1800cc last. So if that boot causes you pain, the on-paper last model is probably not a good indicator of real life feel.
Formula RS 130 is 98mm last, Raptor 120 is 96mm. However I feel Formula is less comfortable lol.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
1. Yes. Same.

2. Yes, but the dealer will need to order the parts on your dime, and they aren't necessary. Several Head athletes don't use the spine flex buckles.

The 120 and 140 boot lugs are different. The 120 has a replaceable soles, the 140 does not that I recall.
Thank you for the info! Lugs I don't care... All I care about is fitting lol.

The reason I want spineflex is that they can keep a consistent buckle position during temporary buckle-off. My current ski boot buckles tend to move after being loosed, which is pretty annoying when I get off the chair and find they are not in the previous position. But glad to know they are interchangeable!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was disappointed with the Head 120 - skied it for a few years. It was too wide in the heal (last 100). I would get your foot into a Lange RS - probably lv 120. Try that for comparison. Comfy, beautiful flex.

Racerxxx

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I free ski in the new head wcr 120. The shell volume should be the same . Certainly no need to change the buckles. If needed you can add additional screw and change flex to 130. I like the boot for free skiing but I don't like the wide lasts for training/racing .

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
I was disappointed with the Head 120 - skied it for a few years. It was too wide in the heal (last 100). I would get your foot into a Lange RS - probably lv 120. Try that for comparison. Comfy, beautiful flex.
Head has several product lines and I believe you are not talking about raptor, which is 96 or 93 last. Standard all mountain model is 100.

Lange RS LV is definitely on my list too. Trying to find it in local stores right now.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Why not see if your bootfitter can make the WCR 140S a bit softer for you?
That's doable? lol I don't even know it's an option. Thank you for the advice!

But WCR140 is $150 more expensive than WCR120. It's like paying extra for some feature I don't even need.:rolleyes:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

The older Raptor 120 that I think you're refering to last was 97 (?) and had a low instep. The heal volume was narrower than the Lange RS boots. The new Raptor is a different fit than the old, but bottom line, it seems it fits the OP which is all that matters.

In your case, you might have been better served in a B series plug.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
I free ski in the new head wcr 120. The shell volume should be the same . Certainly no need to change the buckles. If needed you can add additional screw and change flex to 130. I like the boot for free skiing but I don't like the wide lasts for training/racing .
Glad to hear. Thanks!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Head naming is confusing. Are you in the WCR plug, or WCR raptor? The latter has more volume.

Racerxxx

Skier
All the wcr boots called raptors . I was referring to non - plug boot .

Racerxxx

Skier
I certainly wouldn't want a plug boot if I only planned on skiing with 1 pair . I also use the new dalbello drs wc s plug boot . 2 different animals .

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of 140 Raptors-someone pls school me on LiquidFit. Is it absolutely necessary for the shop/fitter to carry them fancy injections and stuff so they can do the fitting or can you just heat mold them and be good to go?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's doable? lol I don't even know it's an option. Thank you for the advice!

But WCR140 is $150 more expensive than WCR120. It's like paying extra for some feature I don't even need.:rolleyes:
Talk to your bootfitter about whether it can be sofetned. I'm not a bootfiter but my understanding is that some boots can be softened by cutting the cuff is very specific locations. It is permanent so make sure you want it done. If you can't get the WCR 120 then the $150 savings is moot.
I certainly wouldn't want a plug boot if I only planned on skiing with 1 pair . I also use the new dalbello drs wc s plug boot . 2 different animals .
I free ski in a Head WCR 4 plug boot and it is my only boot. I have very difficult feet and have had about 30 hours of fitting/adjustments to make them comfortable enough for all day skiing without any problems. If you have a skilled bootifitter, there's no reason why a plug boot can't be your only boot.

Speaking of 140 Raptors-someone pls school me on LiquidFit. Is it absolutely necessary for the shop/fitter to carry them fancy injections and stuff so they can do the fitting or can you just heat mold them and be good to go?
My liners were not heat moldable. I'm not sure about the 140s though. I've had a few Liquid Fit injections to snug up the heel hold.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
As with Prosper, I ski in the Raptor WCR 120 and the liners were not heat moldable. All the extra heel hold came from liquid fit injections. "Liquid Fit" is a bit of a misnomer btw. It's a paste-y wax that doesn't harden.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As with Prosper, I ski in the Raptor WCR 120 and the liners were not heat moldable. All the extra heel hold came from liquid fit injections. "Liquid Fit" is a bit of a misnomer btw. It's a paste-y wax that doesn't harden.

Got it. So the shop/fitter needs to have the equipment. I mean I cant just order boots online.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

FWIW I don't think @chris_the_wrench had a very positive experience with the liquid fit approach. Maybe he'll chime in.

Sponsor

Staff online