• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose a recreational carving ski, please.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You can try the Renoun Atlas 80 the lower amount of vibration should be good for your knees. They have their blems on sale now. I didn't see any mention of ski length you were considering but my guess might be 177 or longer.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Wider skis are only easier to balance when they are flat on the snow. How often is that? Not very often, especially while carving.

When on edge, wouldn't you just like a more grippy, edgy ride? I wouldn't dismiss <74 mm skis.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Head Supershape Magnum, That's a beautiful ski. Great carver and not a difficult ski to work with all mountain.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know what brings even more ill than speed? People. I have fallen/crashed way more often, like 100:1 due to clueless people than due to speed. You can avoid skiing fast, often you cannot avoid idiots.

Part of an expansive skillset is idiot avoidance.
It's subtle but definitely experience based. Almost like a premonition.

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've decided to bury the hatchet with Head. I am down to these skis:

Atomic Redster Q9 Revoshock S 168cm
Dynastar Speed 763 174cm
Head Shape V-8 170cmcm
Head Supershape e-Magnum 170cm
Head Supershape e-Rally 170cm
Nordica Spitfire DC 74 Pro 170cm
Rossignol Forza 60D V-Ti 171cm
Rossignol Forza 70D V-Ti 173cm
Rossignol Hero Elite MT Ti C.A.M. 167cm
Volkl Deacon 76 171cm

If I had to choose now, I'd go with the Deacon, e-Rally or Forza 70, with the Rossi being in the lead due to its more forgiving nature while still being able to carve with the best of them.

I still do not want to go below 72mm at the waist as I just ski in places that get a ton of snow and I'm afraid that if I had "true" carving skis that I would never even take them on a trip. I mean, seriously, I just can't see myself throwing a pair of 68s in the ski bag for a flight to Jackson Hole, Snowbird, Alta or Crystal Mountain. Ever.

I do realize, however, that getting better at carving requires a commitment and I am wiling to do so. I just want skis that I am likely to take on trips and use at least a a sizeable percentage of time....say, 25-30%, or so. I think something around 75-80 fits that bill best.

Last questions: Why not the Forza 60 over the 70? Same construction, slightly more forgiving sidecut and 75 underfoot. For someone wanting to slow down, it would seem to make some sense.

Same goes for e-Magnum vs e-Rally. And, if we are down to 75mm or less, why not the Redster or Hero Elite MT or Spitfire 74? I realize these will take more of a commitment, but, why not?

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Forza 60 works fine. The e.Rally does not carve as well as the old i.Rally or the current e.Magnum. The Spitfires are very nice.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I've decided to bury the hatchet with Head. I am down to these skis:

Atomic Redster Q9 Revoshock S 168cm
Dynastar Speed 763 174cm
Head Shape V-8 170cmcm
Head Supershape e-Rally 170cm
Nordica Spitfire DC 74 Pro 170cm
Rossignol Hero Elite MT Ti C.A.M. 167cm
Volkl Deacon 76 171cm

I still do not want to go below 72mm at the waist as I just ski in places that get a ton of snow and I'm afraid that if I had "true" carving skis that I would never even take them on a trip. I mean, seriously, I just can't see myself throwing a pair of 68s in the ski bag for a flight to Jackson Hole, Snowbird, Alta or Crystal Mountain. Ever.

I do realize, however, that getting better at carving requires a commitment and I am wiling to do so. I just want skis that I am likely to take on trips and use at least a a sizeable percentage of time....say, 25-30%, or so. I think something around 75-80 fits that bill best.
This description of your need has eTitan written all over it if Brahma 82 isn't making the cut. It covers a lot of bases and can even hit some side stashes now and then. Tuned to a 1/3 it carves quite well. Tuned to 1/2, it ventures all over.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Forza 60 works fine. The e.Rally does not carve as well as the old i.Rally or the current e.Magnum. The Spitfires are very nice.

I don't know Forza. The Rally is more lumbering yet a fine ski. Magnum is less work and offers more forgiveness. It one of the skis I like for skill development. Not as fast - has a speed limit but it still "goes".

Some of the skiers I ski with are on the Spitfires. They love that ski!

I Ski on the Titan and that ski is somewhat demanding. The Magnum is more of a pleasure as opposed to the Titan - a performer. It needs to be worked.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
A comment from OP:

"It is not my intention to make things harder .... I am deliberately trying to slow down and take things easier and to get into "cruising" while getting better at carving."

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Magnum is the ski you want for a long term carving development. You won't take them into powder, but they will handle groomer and mogul just fine.

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Realistically, since I’m trying to make this an easy transition to forgiving carving skis, I’m down to:

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Head Supershape e-Magnum 170cm - Probably the best "pure" carving ski of the bunch with the highest potential for reaching high-end technique. Also, probably the most demanding of the bunch. And, at 72mm underfoot, it is probably the most likely to get left behind when taking airline trips to the big, high-snowfall Western resorts.

Rossignol Forza 60D V-Ti 171cm - Probably the most forgiving and easiest to ski of the three options. It still has a burly construction, though, and is capable of good performance. At 75mm underfoot, it is starting to creep up and out of the "true" carving ski range. This ski may also have a performance ceiling that could be somewhat below what the Head ski can manage.

Rossignol Forza 70D V-Ti 173cm - Designed from the outset as a high-end "recreational carving ski," the carving performance envelope will be nearly as high as the Head ski while its 78mm waistline and big shovel give it just a smidge more "versatility" in terms of moguls, soft groomers and chopped up snow. It should be a bit more forgiving, as well. It isn't quite as easy to ski as the its Forza 60 sistership, though.

While I AM NOT selecting this ski for versatility, I will be selecting it with an eye toward how often I'll actually use it at the places I tend to ski. Ease of use is paramount, as is a platform that is actually good for carving. And, while I am committed to working on and getting better at carving, I hold no inflated views of my ability to actually become a "high-end carver" at my age. My goal is to become a competent groomer cruiser who looks relatively good doing it. ;):cool:

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have been on the Rossi Forza 70 Master all season, and it is a fun, high performance ski. It is easy to ski, and it will respond to however you want to ski it. It is not demanding at all! Last Sunday I did some laps with a fellow who just bought the 70D V-Ti in a 181. After a few runs he said it was the best ski he had ever been on. He was amazed at how well and easily it responded; he was taking them to Tahoe in a couple weeks. The conditions went from frozen to very soft and the Forza's took it all in stride. I can't say what the mogul performance would be or how the 60D V-Ti would compare as I haven't skied it. You will not be disappointed in them! Good luck!

Head Supershape e-Magnum 170cm - Probably the best "pure" carving ski of the bunch with the highest potential for reaching high-end technique. Also, probably the most demanding of the bunch. And, at 72mm underfoot, it is probably the most likely to get left behind when taking airline trips to the big, high-snowfall Western resorts.

Rossignol Forza 60D V-Ti 171cm - Probably the most forgiving and easiest to ski of the three options. It still has a burly construction, though, and is capable of good performance. At 75mm underfoot, it is starting to creep up and out of the "true" carving ski range. This ski may also have a performance ceiling that could be somewhat below what the Head ski can manage.

Rossignol Forza 70D V-Ti 173cm - Designed from the outset as a high-end "recreational carving ski," the carving performance envelope will be nearly as high as the Head ski while its 78mm waistline and big shovel give it just a smidge more "versatility" in terms of moguls, soft groomers and chopped up snow. It should be a bit more forgiving, as well. It isn't quite as easy to ski as the its Forza 60 sistership, though.

While I AM NOT selecting this ski for versatility, I will be selecting it with an eye toward how often I'll actually use it at the places I tend to ski. Ease of use is paramount, as is a platform that is actually good for carving. And, while I am committed to working on and getting better at carving, I hold no inflated views of my ability to actually become a "high-end carver" at my age. My goal is to become a competent groomer cruiser who looks relatively good doing it. ;):cool:

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
JWMN said:
I have been on the Rossi Forza 70 Master all season, and it is a fun, high performance ski. It is easy to ski, and it will respond to however you want to ski it. It is not demanding at all! Last Sunday I did some laps with a fellow who just bought the 70D V-Ti in a 181. After a few runs he said it was the best ski he had ever been on. He was amazed at how well and easily it responded; he was taking them to Tahoe in a couple weeks. The conditions went from frozen to very soft and the Forza's took it all in stride. I can't say what the mogul performance would be or how the 60D V-Ti would compare as I haven't skied it. You will not be disappointed in them! Good luck!

This is one helluva testimonial. Thanks!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Book knowledge. It's helpful for organizing your thoughts and ruling out obvious misfits. As for subtle distinctions among skis broadly in the same category, and how they speak to you (or don't), it's way overrated.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I had the unfortunate luck to incur my first knee injury ever in a big mogul field a few weeks ago. I am in my early 60s and I have taken this incident as sort of a warning, as it were, that is telling me that perhaps it's time for me to slow down a bit and learn to enjoy skiing at a bit more leisurely pace and on perhaps lower-angle terrain that is mostly groomed.

I'm planning on getting narrower skis to help with the knee (narrower skis are just easier!) and to learn higher-end carving as a goal. I am looking for some suggestions on what skis I should be looking at to help with this.

I do know that I AM NOT LOOKING FOR FIS SL SKIS. It is not my intention to make things harder .... I am deliberately trying to slow down and take things easier and to get into "cruising" while getting better at carving.

I'd like to stay in the 74-82mm range underfoot as I prefer a wider platform for balance. I am not really sure why I chose these exact dimensions other than I know I do not want something with a narrow (<72mm), race-like profile and I also believe that once you're into skis >80mm underfoot that you really should be looking for all-mountain profiles. I am not adverse to all-mountain skis as long that they are very frontside-focused. I also refuse to buy anything from Head and I am not going to spend the money for Stockli anythings.

A few I have considered are:

Atomic Redster Q7
Kastle PX 81
Rossignol Forza 60 V-Ti
Rossignol Forza 70 V-Ti
Volkl Deacon 80

Anything else that should be on the radar? I am looking for easy to ski with good carving performance.

I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs so I need at least a bit of meat in a ski. Advanced-intermediate skier.
Q7 maybe too flimsy for your size. I had X7 few years back and have overpowered them after couple of seasons. Consider Q9 or Q9.8

edit: never mind. I see that you already updated your list

James

Out There
Instructor
The 177 magnum for your size.

The Forza 70 might be ok in the shorter size, but would suck in moguls unless you’re very good.

Sponsor

Staff online