• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose a recreational carving ski, please.

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Book knowledge. It's helpful for organizing your thoughts and ruling out obvious misfits. As for subtle distinctions among skis broadly in the same category, and how they speak to you (or don't), it's way overrated.
I absolutely agree. I just needed to put something down for reference as I'll be coming back to this thread for information.

It was actually useful for thinning the herd a bit, although I must admit it was difficult to drop the Rossi Elite Here MT Ti, Atomic Redster Q9 and Nordica Spitfire DC 74.

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The 177 magnum for your size.

The Forza 70 might be ok in the shorter size, but would suck in moguls unless you’re very good.
Carving ski an mogul ski are different animals. Mogul skis need to be softer in longitudinal flex and unless you have well-fitted boots and good control also softer in torsional flex (and should be tuned less aggressively too).
This will be a recreational carving ski.

I am not worried about mogul performance. I already have a reasonable mogul ski with the Rossi Sender 94 Ti and I really liked the Rossi Arcade 84 in the bumps.

James

Out There
Instructor
Carving ski an mogul ski are different animals. Mogul skis need to be softer in longitudinal flex and unless you have well-fitted boots and good control also softer in torsional flex (and should be tuned less aggressively too).
True. But I know someone who skis the V70, with its wide freak show of a tip, in the moguls and you’d never know. But he’s in a very rare elite category of all around skier.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
True. But I know someone who skis the V70, with its wide freak show of a tip, in the moguls and you’d never know. But he’s in a very rare elite category of all around skier.
Based on skiing with Erik the other day, I'm starting to think everyone should just get fat pink skis and call it good.

James

Out There
Instructor
Based on skiing with Erik the other day, I'm starting to think everyone should just get fat pink skis and call it good.
Well if they come with Erik, that works. His day rate is expensive though, and tandem skiing is problematic. Only @cantunamunch does it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
True. I've also skied my Fiscrher SCs in moguls lots of times (as well as my antique SGs), still not the best tools for the job.
This will be a recreational carving ski.

I am not worried about mogul performance. I already have a reasonable mogul ski with the Rossi Sender 94 Ti and I really liked the Rossi Arcade 84 in the bumps.

Speaking of which I can heartily recommend the SCs as a carving ski. The antique SGs are only for carving at 50+ mph.

BTW, don't expect carving pure arc-2-arc turns to slow you down.

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've decided to go with the Rossignol Forza 70D V-Ti at 173cm. It should fulfill the requirements of a "recreational carving ski" with a high performance ceiling that isn't difficult to drive.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've decided to go with the Rossignol Forza 70D V-Ti at 173cm. It should fulfill the requirements of a "recreational carving ski" with a high performance ceiling that isn't difficult to drive.

Well done. These should be stellar on groomers. Please share your thoughts when you try them, I am curious if they indeed pull as strongly into turn as they look.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
230lb on 173cm? Interesting. Post your review next season please.
That was my first thought, minimum 177 would be my guess, maybe 185 would be better.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. All the reviews say the 173cm is plenty of ski, even for big guys.

Bob at Ski Essentials preferred the 173cm to the 181cm, and he’s 6’3” and 225 lbs.
I'm at 220 and and enjoyed the Forza in 173. Plenty of ski for my gravitational extremes. If you're thinking the Forza 70° may be not quite enough you can step up a notch to the 70°+V-Ti Master with the R22 plate for a little more oomph.

Uncle-A

Skier
They are not available in 185, longest is 181. For what he needs them for 173 will be just fine.
I didn't look to see the longest length that they made I just tried to estimate what length would support the 230 LBS and to be honest I don't think 173 will do it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't look to see the longest length that they made I just tried to estimate what length would support the 230 LBS and to be honest I don't think 173 will do it.

That entirely depends on the construction of the ski and has little to do with the length. WRTs for example, or better still-FIS SL immediately come to mind.

Uncle-A

Skier
That entirely depends on the construction of the ski and has little to do with the length. WRTs for example, or better still-FIS SL immediately come to mind.
But the name of the thread is Recreational Carving ski not FIS SL ski. and in that type of ski 173 probably won't hold 230 LBS.

Uncle-A

Skier
Oh I think the ski he bought will very well do that. Forzas are proper piste ski, no gimmicks, nothing soft or shabby about them.
I will defer this to others in the community and see what they have to say. So SkiTalk community what length Recreational Carving ski will hold 230 LBS?

Sponsor

Staff online