• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help with my 2 ski quiver - east coast skier :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Apart from the conditions and the hill, do people also ask what kind of skiing you want to do with these skis? My question would be: what kind of skiing do you want to do? Technical carving? Long turns? Short turns? Learn to carve like a pro? just ski with the kids?

I am not sure how anyone could suggest a specific ski without getting some more info on your skiing style and preferences...
No, but we know the conditions too well, and therefore know what will be the most fun and if OP doesn't know how to use the best tool for that job, he will learn soon enough.
We become tools of our tools, and the tool will determine the outcome.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get some retro mogul skis and tell the guys at the mountain to make some moguls.

Maybe a cool trucker hat with ear flaps. And a flannel.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Revolt 87 is pretty much center mount, minus 0.5 cm- so go more traditional @ -8 to 10 ski!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re: we're all experts/bozos on this bus - "Some doesn't even ski at all"

..... except when it comes to grammar. :ogcool:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
productimg.jpeg

And a pair of the Armada Declivity 82's

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Chuy Curious what hill you’re skiing with that size vert as Dagmar, Glen Eden or Horseshoe coming to mind? I’m from London but ski Moonstone and Blue Mountain a bunch before trips out West every year.
Had 2 pairs of Volkl Walls(now called Revolt 87) and they were great skis! Better carvers than most of your original list.

Agree with going to more of a dedicated carver for the new ski. The Volkl Deacon 72 Master can crank out powerful turns yet still be playful and fun. They have a more forward mount point and forgiving flex pattern than most similar skis for an easy transition from your other ski. Perfect turn radius for Ontario size hills and speeds. Have a pair myself in the longer 178cm size and ski mostly twin tips.

Some great deals still on 22 versions of the ski(unchanged for 23) available in your size at Squire Johns.

TS
C

Chuy

Booting up
Skier
@Chuy Curious what hill you’re skiing with that size vert as Dagmar, Glen Eden or Horseshoe coming to mind? I’m from London but ski Moonstone and Blue Mountain a bunch before trips out West every year.
Had 2 pairs of Volkl Walls(now called Revolt 87) and they were great skis! Better carvers than most of your original list.

Agree with going to more of a dedicated carver for the new ski. The Volkl Deacon 72 Master can crank out powerful turns yet still be playful and fun. They have a more forward mount point and forgiving flex pattern than most similar skis for an easy transition from your other ski. Perfect turn radius for Ontario size hills and speeds. Have a pair myself in the longer 178cm size and ski mostly twin tips.

Some great deals still on 22 versions of the ski(unchanged for 23) available in your size at Squire Johns.

I ski at Glen Eden most of the time and Blue Mountain on weekends.yes i’m gonna check out squires they have a great deal on the Armada Declivity 82 ti. is this not much of an upgrade compared to my revolt 87 in terms of carving performance? Am I better off with something like the Volkl Deacon or Head Supershape?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Am I better off with something like the Volkl Deacon or Head Supershape?
Yes! Better edge grip, more powerful carvers and damper than the lighter Declivity.

Supershape are an easy recommendation and get more playful when you move the bindings up a bit in the demo track. Easy to find deals on them too.

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
You already have a wide (ish) ski, that can likely handle soft snow conditions. Being a park ski, I surmise that it falls in the "playful" category.
Since you ski on a small hill, in the East, where snow is likely harder most of the time, and you rate yours elf as an advanced skier, I think you would do well to stay away from the skis on your list (at least as a second ski to complement your existing one) and rather focus on getting a short radius narrow carving ski (or a slalom ski).

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Knowing where the OP skis, I'd also suggest a low-mid 70's.
Greg's recommendation of that Head e-Speed and Volkl Deacon Master 72 are great choices.

The OP already has his Revolt, which covers some all-mountain use.
FYI: If OP wants something more "all-mountain" than the more park-oriented Revolt, Ricks Pro Shop ( at the bottom Blue Mountain North Lift ) has Fischer RC One 86 GT with factory binding on for $770 $C. This is a great ski, and a good price in Canada, as Fischer is somewhat difficult to find up here.

At Blue Mountain, I can happily get by with just a K2 STi 170 ( 72mm ) and Faction CT 1.0 178 ( 92mm ). In the rare event there is some significant snowfall accumulation overnight at Blue Mountain, I might break out a 98-102 for the first hour or so.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I ski at Glen Eden most of the time and Blue Mountain on weekends.yes i’m gonna check out squires they have a great deal on the Armada Declivity 82 ti. is this not much of an upgrade compared to my revolt 87 in terms of carving performance? Am I better off with something like the Volkl Deacon or Head Supershape?

A Head Supershape is easy to recommend. Awesome for carving. Select a model with a SL like turn radius.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes! Better edge grip, more powerful carvers and damper than the lighter Declivity.

Supershape are an easy recommendation and get more playful when you move the bindings up a bit in the demo track. Easy to find deals on them too.

Because I already suggested a Head SuperShape, this looks like a winner. It also is a ski you won't grown out of performance wise.

TS
C

Chuy

Booting up
Skier
would 177cm in the Head Supershapes be okay for me ? I was considering E-Magnum as well from Corbetts they have 163cm or 177cm in stock.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
would 177cm in the Head Supershapes be okay for me ? I was considering E-Magnum as well from Corbetts they have 163cm or 177cm in stock.

5’9 180 pound advanced skier

You could ski either of those but for your particular use case and size the sweet spot is probably around the 170 mark for that kind of ski. (Head does make a 170 in that line, but Corbetts must be out of stock.)

Out of curiosity, what size are your Revolts? (Not that you should necessarily match that size, given the very different designs of the skis in question. I'm just curious what you're used to.)

These would work @167cm, if you're doing Corbetts, but are pricy. Maybe you can talk them down?

They also have the Supershape Speed @170, but that's a slightly longer radius than the others you were talking about. Still would be fun.

Last edited:
TS
C

Chuy

Booting up
Skier
You could ski either of those but for your particular use case and size the sweet spot is probably around the 170 mark for that kind of ski. (Head does make a 170 in that line, but Corbett's must be out of stock.)

Out of curiosity, what size are your Revolts? (Not that you should necessarily match that size, given the very different designs of the skis in question. I'm just curious what you're used to.)
my revolts are 177cm . corbetts only have 170cm in the e-speed which is 68mm maybe too narrow for me.

Sponsor

Staff online